Recent content by Tim Niesen

1. Tim Niesen

What next?

Not have to buy anything!
  2. Tim Niesen

What next?

Steve would love to play Red Barricades, maybe I will tell him to purchase it. If he does, I will not have to buy nothing. He could hide the game from his spouse at Don's house! Tim
  3. Tim Niesen

What next?

I reluctant to purchase Red Barricades plus another expensive game, although Konisberg seems reasonable. I do have the Hungarian historical module, but it seems even larger than Red Barricades. Would the rules to this game allow us to play Konisberg? Tim
  4. Tim Niesen

What next?

Onslaught to Orsha. Looks very interesting. I am interested. How long is the campaign game? Are there night scenarios? Steve loves Eastern Front scenarios. Almost insanely. To get him to stand up to the posssive spouse we need something to tempt him. Stiffen his backbone. I was very proud of him...
  5. Tim Niesen

What next?

Olli, a mini-HASL is what that I desire because of the time frame. I had fun doing the after action report on the breakout module although both were lopsided victories for Don1 and I. Taking the two hills on the first session for the Soviets doomed the Axis effort. The 105 land lease howitzers...
  6. Tim Niesen

What next?

My old friend and opponent Steve suggested that we play Red Barricades, but we need something smaller before playing the Manila campaign game. We want the preliminary game to last only three to five months. The Konisberg module looks very interesting. Neat mapboard. New German late war units...
  7. Tim Niesen

What next?

I have preordering the Manilia games, the new Map bundle, and Devil Caldron. Plus purchasing the final batch of two WTJ ships for my conversion from Navis to WTJ for the Japanese Navy of WW1. Therefore, my spending is limited...two more large games likely to break the bank. How much of Red...
  8. Tim Niesen

What next?

Robin, I agree. That is why we are looking at alternatives. Tim
  9. Tim Niesen

What next?

Not sure that this post is put in the right area, but I did not know where to post it. My small group has ordered the Manila module, but we fear that it will not be ready by this summer. We are anxious to start by July after we all have been vaccinated. Therefore, I am asking for recommendations...
  10. Tim Niesen

Manila HASL - Good news, Bad news

The Marine observers were not the only persons critical of the Army tactic of taking an objective and then pulling back. The US Army tank crews were also critical because of this allowing the reintroduction of the small Japanese anti tank mines that disabled so many Shermans in this campaign. In...
  11. Tim Niesen

Well, I am simply repeating the criticism of the Marine observers on the ground at the time. The army would pull back several hundred yards every night. On the other hand, the Marines in the same situation would dig Fox holes at the point that their advance stopped at the end of the daylight. Tim
  12. Tim Niesen

I agree. We are looking to play the campaign game. We now have four people. After Covid. I get my first shot this morning. Tim
  13. Tim Niesen

To the extent that Critical Hit does not sufficiently playtest their games, the criticism of their games is valid. And I find it difficult to use their counters...after decades of playing with regular ASL counters. But they do produce games and counters not covered by other companies. Tim
  14. Tim Niesen

Sarge, Was the reluctance of the Army units to hold newly acquired positions at night factored into the game? Tim
  15. Tim Niesen

I just looked at the new website. Beautiful mapboard! I have a fondness for monster games. They are not for everyone, of course. The Marines usually prevail over both elite and non elite Japanese in ASL, but the US Army lacks the vigor of their elite counterparts. My friend Don has been consumed...