Recent content by Tesgora

1. Tesgora

How to play faster ASL

"Try to touch your counters as little as possible for as little time as possible." Sage advice; but my counters wheedle me with a sweet voice: "Hold me, touch me.":)
  2. Tesgora

Huertgen Forest

One recurrent aspect in accounts of fighting in the Huertgen Forest was the increased effect of indirect fire caused by the tree cover. You wouldn’t get that with orchard, but you would get it with light woods or the pine woods rule of Kampfgruppe Peiper. Indirect fire gets a -1 TEM in woods...
  3. Tesgora

East Front - maps, overlays, scenarios

Two pictures of AFV in cornfields. The maturity of the crop makes a big difference. In the first image the US AFV would have no difficulty engaging another AFV at some distance. In the second picture, from the Yugoslav civil war, the low-silhouette of the Soviet tank and the much taller corn...
  4. Tesgora

East Front - maps, overlays, scenarios

So far the discussion seems to have focused on LOS at a human height view (infantry perspective). What about AFVs? I think from the turret of a mid or late war tank, the cornfield would be much less of a hindrance to firing on another tank, but perhaps more difficult to see infantry even nearby...
  5. Tesgora

Oddball...

On the reaction of Sutherland to the Canada Post stamp honoring him https://www.cbc.ca/arts/q/donald-sutherland-wants-you-to-write-him-a-postcard-1.7056368
  6. Tesgora

AAR - BFP-67 Coke Hill

Definitely a classic out of that BFP product. I played it a long time ago and still remember it. I lost with the Australians. My Matilda FROG broke its flamethrower on the first shot, but I found all the HIP Japanese units through recon by fire just ran out of time to achieve the objectives.
  7. Tesgora

Was the 30th Infantry Division the best American division of WW2?

The following link to a US Army Reserve Magazine provides some background to the story. http://www.nationalguardmagazine.com/publication/?i=128954&p=40 The context was General Eisenhower receiving too many submissions for divisional Presidential Unit Citations (PUCs) from the ETO. So he asked...
  8. Tesgora

P.A./US Early War counters

You are correct. There are no US leaders or heroes with early war helmets, even in Rising Sun.
  9. Tesgora

Recommendations for books on Berlin

Bloody Streets is definitely the source on the Battle of Berlin if you can afford it. No need to go back to old accounts like those of Cornelius Ryan and others, since Hamilton used those sources and corrected in many cases their errors. Also, again a pricey book, is Lee Archer, Robert Kraska...
  10. Tesgora

Archaeology of the Battle of the Bulge

An academic article (free access) on the use of light detection and ranging (LiDAR) to discover remaining material traces of the combat around St. Vith during the Battle of the Bulge...
  11. Tesgora

DB077 Speed Shock & Surprise AAR

Adrian made a reference to a useful playing aid for parachute landing. It can be found at the following link: https://www.desperationmorale.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/paratrooperlanding.pdf
  12. Tesgora

Playtesters Wanted!

For those who have the time, I encourage you to playtest some of Chris’s scenarios. I have assisted him on some of the research and the proofreading of the scenario cards and playtested (solo) two of his scenarios—others have also contributed to playtesting already. These scenarios have been...
  13. Tesgora

HazMo 18 Sophoclean Tragedy, seeking clarification to scenario parameter 3

Thank you very much for the clarification. I look forward to playing this scenario as well as the other one dealing with the Greek civil war and set in 1948.
  14. Tesgora

HazMo 18 Sophoclean Tragedy, seeking clarification to scenario parameter 3

I am seeking a clarification to the scenario parameter 3 for HazMo18 (Sophoclean Tragedy). The scenario parameter 3 refers to the 'Republican player' instead of the 'ELAS player'. Is this a typo or was this parameter imported by error from a Spanish Civil War scenario? I didn't find an answer in...
  15. Tesgora

Last Surviving Member of LRDG passes.

Yes, I watched the series on Amazon Prime. It was well received by critics and the audience and it seems confirmed for a second season. The series achieves a surprising mix of sticking close to the historical characters as depicted in the book as well as with the historical detail on the...