Recent content by T34

1. T34

German Paratroopers 1943+ squad

You are wrong, of course, according to Soviet courts they were all war criminals. However, my point, trying to stay on ASL, is that their "advantage" of having a higher broken side morale, was based on the fact that they were not going to be taken prisoner. Of course, no Red Army soldier was...
  2. T34

Why do you need to politicize this by defending Nazis? They were demonstrably war criminals according to the Nuremburg trials and cowards into the bargain. I'm not being political, I'm stating historical fact when I state that their only identifiable "advantage" over earlier German formations...
  3. T34

Overall, the rifle was a tiny portion of a squad's firepower: https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a225438.pdf An organic LMG was almost all of the firepower a squad laid down.
  4. T34

And whoever gave the Lahti ATR a ROF was a fool. ATR's had such a recoil that even a semi-automatic mechanism meant that they couldn't get off that many rounds per minute. Further, the whole point of an ATR was surprise, which meant firing a round and moving to a new spot. The Soviet PTRD...
  5. T34

All German squads were assigned a MG34 or MG42. A LMG counter is considered an extra. I would point to your question as an overall ASL player bias that the quality of German elite troops increased drastically after 1942. They did not. What happened is the quality of first line troops...
  6. T34

ASL Superstitions

First, I generally favor leader counters with names of people I know or have played. Second, beware of "called shots." Now would be a terrible time for a boxcars or... I need to be able to roll less than 8 on one of these three close combats, don't I?
  7. T34

Worst Tank of WWII

Well, yes and no. Gasoline does burn much hotter than diesel. After Khalkin Gol, the Soviets turned away from the BT series (gasoline) and went with diesel because of their tendency to burn when hit. So it isn't completely a myth.
  8. T34

Worst Tank of WWII

I've always thought British cruiser tanks suffered from ASL's inability to cope with the differences in hitting fast tanks as opposed to slow tanks. Before you scream, let me explain: Imagine you have an ability to fire at a 60 degree slice to fire in front of you. Which would be easier to...
  9. T34

Worst Tank of WWII

A couple of other nominees... The Type 95 Ha-Go: Now, this has to be considered a tank in context. While Germany and the Soviet Union were learning (mostly the wrong) lessons from the Spanish Civil War, Japan was already fighting in China. Japan based its armored force on WWI tanks acquired...
  10. T34

Worst Tank of WWII

New candidate: The Marmon Herrington "Dutch" three man and four man tank. So bad the CHINESE actually turned them down as insufficient, these dregs where offered up in 1942 with a 37mm main armament and a non-sloped 1.5 inch of frontal armor.
  11. T34

The 800

This is simply not the case. Japan knew that the Tripartite Pact would annoy the US. The somewhat naive and proud foreign minister that signed it was chastised for doing so on his return. However, Japanese honor prevented them from renouncing it. However, I am again not arguing that Japan...
  12. T34

1-2-7 what to do?

Isn't it strange that you run out of ammo and have to leave the battlefield, but you break your tank and hang around to fight? Of course, Soviet crews could be prosecuted for leaving a wrecked vehicle, as it was government property...
  13. T34

Worst Tank of WWII

A worthy candidate. Along with other "airbourne" tanks, e.g. the winged T-40 and BT-5 and the Chaffee, to some extent, you have to wonder what designers were thinking. You are already behind enemy lines, why not pump up your paratroopers with nasty AT weapons like the panzerschreck or a 105mm...