Recent content by sunoftzu

1. sunoftzu

Sugarloaf Hill Playtesting Underway!!!

Jon and I finished our game of BD-003 "Western Anchor" this morning (evening for him). Initially, the Marines got cut up pretty bad in the opening turns, but 2 key caves and their contents were destroyed by well placed satchel charges nonetheless. As a result, the Marines were able to canter...
  2. sunoftzu

A cautious approach by both sides in the first 2 turns of BD-002 "Limited Gains". There are more Marines entering on turn 3, so the Japanese doesn't want to show too much of his hand early on, lest the Marines steal a march on them.......
  3. sunoftzu

Euan and I finished our playing of BD-001 "Opening Probe" this morning. I was optimistic of my chances at the start of turn 5. I felt I had assembled enough assets to control the 2 trenches and I just needed to control/destroy 1 cave. But the Japanese just keep passing their MCs, and I wasn't...
  4. sunoftzu

A tale of two seaborne evacuations

I played HS-09 quite a few years back with Tom Jackson. It was a lot of fun, but my Japanese definitely enjoyed the blessings of the dice gods - especially when I completely forgot about the American FB and tried a Banzai charge along the beach ...... pretty much without suffering a scratch !!!
  5. sunoftzu

2 more turns of BD-01 "Opening Probe" done. I've grabbed a trench (for now), and this gives the Marines a bit of initiative, as now the Japanese have to make tough choices as to whom to fire at. The Marine MCs have been a little patchy, but it was good of I15 to pass a 3MC (albeit pinned) when...
  6. sunoftzu

This is indeed an awesome product. At the risk of being Captain Obvious, I recommend cutting your teeth on Kakazu Ridge in the meantime.... ( that's good stuff, too - especially the Spigot Mortar Caves !!! ) John.
  7. sunoftzu

Euan Dennison and I got underway with playtesting this awesome product. Completed 2 turns of the first scenario. I formed all the USMCs into platoons, which used armored assault to get on to the board. Usually I wouldn't make such target rich stacks for the Japanese, but it's that or dance in...
  8. sunoftzu

BFP-25 From Villebaudon to Valhalla

I got that one on my dance card. Currently working through Op Cobra. BFP-023 is next (although I have a PT-ing project to get through first). Thanks to the pair of you gents for your thoughts..... John.
  9. sunoftzu

Have You Ever...

My opponent ran out of panzerfausts playing DASL-18 "King Of The Hill". That was back in about 1989, and is about the only thing I can still remember about that game ...... John.
  10. sunoftzu

The Shocking Truth about Le Franc Tireur

"The Bet" is as balanced as you make it. I played it once (I think my bid was 8). I got the Germans. John.
  11. sunoftzu

VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

There's quite a few problems. Broken terrain doesn't work in hill hexes. (ASL 81, J 80, OB 7) Ground Snow doesn't take effect (A 23). Cannot change colors to ETO. It would be good if Hammada could be removed/changed (A 39). I know it might be a bit rich for me to say, but I think this board...
  12. sunoftzu

Bruce and Hongkongwargamer, no. The problem is that when viewing a decent portion of any Deluxe map, the pieces in relation become tiny. I don't find that to be a very enjoyable or convenient scale. The choices are to have a tiny portion of the map, or tiny pieces. I don't dig tiny...... John.
  13. sunoftzu

Could we have normal sized VASL boards once again ? A few years back, there were regular sized VASL boards. I find the current VASL boards so big, that when zooming out to visualize the map, the counters become tiny. Considering that stacking isn't a major issue in VASL, it really doesn't make...
  14. sunoftzu

Board 25 has a number of bugs. 1/ It cannot revert to ETO colors. 2/ It cannot be affected by Ground/Deep Snow. 3/ When converting to Broken Ground, some of the Crag hexes do not change (especially those on the hill). Please help. Thanks. John.
  15. sunoftzu

CDG2 errata?

".... South Of The River ...." Am about to play ASL-236 "In Rommel's Wake". The setup instructions for the French are "....south of the river....". How about the small peninsular that runs from 7C8 to 7H8 ? Is that considered to be 'south of the river' or not ? Cheers. John.