Recent content by spb

1. S

VASL Dicebot silliness

For more notes, check the source code. You'll discover that they're using the standard, vanilla Lehmer LCG with the Lewis, Goodman and Miller constants. The LCG itself dates back to 1948 (when Lehmer first described it), and this version of it was suggested by Lewis, Goodman and Miller in...
  2. S

VASL Dicebot silliness

Silliness is right. The graphical widget referenced earlier is compelling. It is also irrelevent. I don't believe anyone has argued that the output of java's native PRNG is truly random---what we're interested in is if the dicebot is `fair'. These are two different propositions. Would I rely...
  3. S

Fair Dice

There are tests for this sort of dependency. I've run them. They don't support your claim. And you seem to be suggesting that you can find odd variations from expected values if you grab small datasets. This is no surprise at all. If you're suggesting that the data only support your...
  4. S

Fair Dice

Let's see...the distribution of Mr Belcher's 14000 DR works out fine (actually, are there 14000? I downloaded the xls file, but could got 13000 DR). The distribution of the 60 dr you pulled out of that data worked out fine. I don't know if you read the ASLML, but I'm the spb that ran a number...
  5. S

Deploying Spotters

I should've replied here when I got my own Perry Sez response. In addition to allowing Spotters to be Deployed, it is worth noting that such Deployment does not cause loss of Aquisition.
  6. S

Red Barricades: BV2nd ed or components?

The only components I've bought directly from MMP are maps. As I recall, the order was filled in a couple days (although UPS ground took another week or so to deliver it). The maps were packed more than adequately, and arrived in pristine condition. That being said, I'm not sure how the math...
  7. S

ASL Forums Domain Name Contest

Hm. Howzabout www.nahverteidigungswaffe.net ? I can't believe it's not already taken.
  8. S

Re: Wall Advantage

The main caveat that I can see in Manlig's article with respect to 2nd Edition rules is that B9.322 (above I incorrectly say B9.332) gives you the opportunity to claim WA in five situations (during setup; at the end of the RPh, ATTACKER getting the option first; during the MPh/APh before, during...
  9. S

Re: Wall Advantage

In most cases, the only benefit you get from WA is denying it to an enemy unit ADJACENT to the same wall---both of you can't claim the wall TEM. Basically, if you're in a non-open ground location that contains a wall, you can claim WA (getting wall/hedge TEM) or claim the non-OG TEM. If...
  10. S

Deploying Spotters

Can a squad which has been designated as a Spotter for a mortar be deployed, one of the resulting GO HS retaining the Spotting ability? The EXC at the end of 9.3 explicitly allows a GO HS resulting from the CR of a Spotting squad to retain Spotting ability, but I could find no mention of...