Recent content by Sparky

1. Sparky

Your 5 Favorite HASL Maps

favorites and best? Often very different so I'll toss off two lists. Best? Red Barricades. It set the standard and I'd be willing to bet that some knows its figures and curves better than their spousal units KG Scherer (Kholm) - set a new standard for HASL maps. Berlin (Fot3R and TL) -...
  2. Sparky

DINANT

Vinkt from CH which is pretty cool (in the middle of it now actually) some good fashioned old school SL, no bullshit no frills (few toys, SSR, vehicles or ordnance) infantry v infantry action between German and Belgian forces. Really pretty map of the Belgian countryside and the scenarios...
  3. Sparky

DINANT

great overall reply but I took the liberty of snipping a point ... While I haven't got Dinant on the table yet and may not for some time as I plan on hitting the 3 west front 1940 HASL that have come out recently sequentially as it were and that puts Dinant last I did look long and hard at the...
  4. Sparky

Music: what are you Listening to now?

at ear shattering decibel levels.. another classic from the living masters of the drum kit..Simon Phillips... in particular here. the master of the double bass drum..
  5. Sparky

Missing Counter Series: The Lost Acquisition Counters

and with you on the problem with ACQ counters. Always has been an issue in large scale games with more than 6 or even 12 (aa-ff) of the same ordnance type in a CG or huge scenario You sort of forced to come up with ways to account for them and manage and keep track of acquistion. In my...
  6. Sparky

Missing Counter Series: The Lost Acquisition Counters

and was a remarkably accurate weapon, with high rate of fire, in the hands of well trained crews which they always were. I think I read once that 40% of all American causalties were directly attributed to the type 89. Nasty little things weren't they, little fragmentation in the rounds but...
  7. Sparky

Update on Desperation Morale Update

Of course there are. As alluded to earlier Mark. I think there is a good sized subset of the ASL playing world that probably doesn't care. All that really matters is if they are fun to play or not. Whether that means they are indeed playtested .. and done without your express knowledge... or...
  8. Sparky

women's panties, monacles.. drum sticks... yeah makes sense. In a Captain Beefheart kind of way...
  9. Sparky

I've got an idea. Hear me out.

might explain the delay...
  10. Sparky

I've got an idea. Hear me out.

^nice ... but I think Mark would appreciate his copy coming via....
  11. Sparky

listening to at max volume and another nod to greatest still living drummers.. perhaps the most famous drum solo in rock music... and 2nd perhaps in recorded music only to Joe Morello's Take Five. His later 70's work after he left Santana was amazing but still this one set the bar for drum solos...
  12. Sparky

Undefeated Season

yeah that was something isn't it. Granted they didn't play a murderer's row of a scedule, wasn't one of their opponents the Chicago School of male tap dancers. even more impressive though than a single year ...from 1901 to 1905 the Michigan teams outscored their opponents by a combined score of...
  13. Sparky

Update on Desperation Morale Update

well done Mark. I do admire your dedication but I do feel you fret too much over 'the CH problem'. The reviews in a a large way are probably useless. Tapio and CH are the Trump of ASL you could say... divsive with a capital D and with few undecided. I suppose after 25 odd years CH has...
  14. Sparky

ASL: difficult to learn to play, easy to learn how to play well, and dying out

thanks for posting Dan. I watched that video and surprisingly considering its length it held my attention and was quite interesting regardling the state of the boardgaming industry. Never really considered it was in such heady oversaturated times. Sort of blows holes in the notions that todays...
  15. Sparky

that was a shame about Peart... always thought he was a tad bit overrated as a drummer (very one dimenional) but he had my immense respect as a person and surviving a double tragedy that might have destroyed many. I don't think I could have overcome such losses myself. going with the still us...