Recent content by Sir Richard

1. S

AAR Preferences

Really, I am interested in the answers to these questions. For the Finish campaigns, I have actually solicited a couple of real humans to play the opposing side. I am a few turns into a couple of scenarios now, and about ready to start writing. So, what should I write? Sir Richard
  2. S

The Western Gate: The Polish Campaign, Story 6

Mitzer was not too difficult to find. I found him trotting down the street, and summoned him over to my observation point. I had expected to get shelled, but no artillery targeted our position. I could hear shells falling at Lazniew, a couple of kilometers north of west where 6th Company was...
  3. S

Mitzer and I stepped outside into a frenzy of activity. A heavy machine-gun platoon had been set up to defend the headquarters. The attack underway suggested that its crews would find better use for the weapons closer to the front lines. The soldiers organized their teams and collected their...
  4. S

I was being punished. That was the best explanation that I was being forced to continue my service to II Battalion of the Leibstandarte Rifle Regiment. The maneuver that I orchestrated, to surround and capture the bulk of the defending force on the east end of the city, substantially put an...
  5. S

Which do you prefer?

Okay, like I said, I need to play the 4 Winter War scenarios for the next story: (1) The Long Walk Home (2) White Death (3) Frozen Hell (4) Cracking the Line I believe that the German army is about to transfer Mr. Schmidt to Finland to observe Soviet battle tactics. This means, I will...
  6. S

AAR Preferences

Thanks for the compliments. Ultimately, however, if I am going to spend a few hours writing these things, I would like to be able to draw a little more readership. So, like anybody who may be concerned with ratings, I would like to have an idea of the type of thing that would be worth...
  7. S

AAR Preferences

Below, I have written 5 out of 6 AARs I intend to write for the Polish Campaign (the 6 scenarios built around the fall of Poland in Sept, 1939). After I get done with this series, I was thinking about a series using the Winter War scenarios -- The Long Walk Home, White Death, Frozen Hell, and...
  8. S

Which do you prefer?

Hmmmm . . . Well, when I play a scenario, I do play as a field commander trying to accomplish my objectives while mindful of the fact that I have human beings under my command. My interest in preserving them rests not only in the fact that I will need them in future battles, but also in...
  9. S

Bump in the Night: Polish Campaign, Story 5

Mitzer shook his head in frustration. "Too many people are talking over the top of each other," he said. "What happened?" "There was an ambush on the road between here and Domaniew. A battery of 75mm guns was just wiped out." He listened somemore. "Everybody is in a panic. The ambush...
  10. S

15th Company, after killing the Polish prisoners, continued west to help participate in the fight. However, it had difficulty finding space in the crowded front that I Battalion established. I Battalion went on from the battle to surround and destroy the members of the Polish counter-attack to...
  11. S

In order to watch 1st Company enter the field on our right, I climbed up into the attic of a house on the south side of town. From it, I could barely make out the forms of the units crossing the field. Tracer rounds streaked across the field from machine gun nests on the other side. Beyond...
  12. S

The real fighting was to the east of our position, so that is where Mitzer and I went. Just as we were leaving, 5th Company and 7th Company received their orders to cut the road. Both groups pushed forward as a line, cautiously. I waited for the sound of combat to tell me whether the Poles were...
  13. S

We left the engineers to take care of the obstacles placed along the road, and continued north to the edge of town. There was a firefight going on directly head of us at the railroad crossing. As was typically the case where roads and tracks met, this was a region of granaries and warehouses...
  14. S

II Battalion was making its move to cut off the railroad to Warsaw, and still I heard nothing from silence coming from that corner of the front. I was surprised that road that General Dietrich had selected to Oltarzew was so free of enemy combatants. To the best of my recollection, the only...
  15. S

The original plan called for the 7th Recon Battalion to capture Domaniew, and then turn north to help II Battalion against Oltarzew. This was one of those plans that would not survive contact with the enemy. If 7th Recon pulled out of Domaniew, it would leave the left flank of the attack on...