Recent content by RhondaBrwn

1. R

New Wargames Supported by WarfareHQ?

Behind the Times? I think not, but.... I have no problem at all with the continued concentration of what I see as they great classics of computer wargaming. These games are timeless in their challenge and level of interest. I wish there was some centralized sale point where all of the games...
  2. R

New Wargames Supported by WarfareHQ?

World in Flames I have the old alpha version so I have some idea of where they are coming from.. the sticking point was trying to come up with a workable AI system. ADG couldn't get that done and turned the project over to Matrix. If they can't get the AI problem licked, I would still buy...
  3. R

Matrix Says You Can't Sell Your Downloaded Games!

I Wouldn't Wish for Their Demise Wow... seems like a lot of antipathy over here against Matrix. Hey, I'm sure they are trying to stay afloat financially in a hobby that just doesn't have the people to support wargame development profitably. You couple that with the very easy practicality of...
  4. R

If you only had one war game...

Talonsoft for Beginners! If I was trying to get someone hooked on computer wargaming, I would start with Talonsoft's Gettysburg (Battleground Series). It's a bit dated, but: 1. Extremely popular topic (can combine exposure to the game with a viewing of the Gettysburg movie). 2. Decent...
  5. R

Taken Down A Notch

Thanks Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post (and all of the welcoming comments - they were appreciated). I can appreciate Don's well thought out response and I concur with him about not wanting this forum to turn into another political jousting field for rabid political...
  6. R

Taken Down A Notch

I found the viewpoint and wisdom of a group of military historians and wargamers to be an exceptional online resource when commenting and debating contemporary geo-political, military, and even social topics. This was unique to this club and gave it great value beyond being a grognard resource...
  7. R

Ranks

I think Don should change the "Raw Recruit" category to "Non-Combatant" since that's probably where I'll be from now on with the political posts trashed for rank purposes. :p
  8. R

Waterloo Battle Simulator

Nice... using the same stategy doesn't consistently turn out the same way either... nice element of chance included.
  9. R

"Bourne Supremacy" Gets Stellar Reviews

Exactly right. I saw the first movie, but it didn't do much for me. Basically, a spy loses his memory after an attempt to kill him. The movie is about him trying to put his identity back together again. If you like spy movies, you'll love it.
  10. R

World War II Online (with Screenshots)

I'm amazed at the quality of those screenshots. I may actually give this a try. Thanks for sharing. :surprise:
  11. R

Aliens vs. Predator -- who will win the war?

Overall, I enjoyed all of the LOTR battles, but I do have one major bone to pick. Seeing the "Riders of Rohan" just sweep through the army of Orcs like the grim reaper on steroids requires a lot of suspension of belief. I'm thinking of John Keegan's study "The Face of Battle" in which he debunks...
  12. R

Hollywood as Usual I'm waiting to see how the new History Channel "Great Battles" series is going to play out using graphics from the "Total War" series of games (specifically the new one on Rome). This could be a model for how movie directors could actually produce battles that capture some...
  13. R

Wait for the Clones Very true, but just watch out for the next dozen fantasy movies that will feature the same type of huge battle scenes. LOTR had a story, great characters, and acting which is the real reason for its success. The story drove the graphics rather than just being an excuse to...
  14. R

The CG Cycle Is About to Turn I would vote for doing Asimov's "Foundation Series" personally. Doing "Starship Troopers" with any real relevance to the actual novel would be a great start though. I have enjoyed the various versions of Frank Herbert's "Dune" that are out there though. They...
  15. R

I, Robot

Arthur C Clark "Rama" Novels I agree with the folks who suggested the "Rama" series of novels for a movie. I think special effects and computer graphics have finally reached the point where they could realistically handle the idea of of a huge revolving cylinder with this immense world inside...