Recent content by Polar Bear Vortex

1. P

Lft & pbdyo

Not sure what became of PBDYO, but I was reading the tables for French and Italian units in Tunisia. To the authors: nice job! https://www.desperationmorale.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TACPBDYO.pdf Has anyone seen similar tables for German, UK, US forces? My only problem with this system is...
  2. P

‘Best’ large scenario?

Road to Kozani Pass
  3. P

Geoboards - Boards 1,2,3,4 - 'Look Alike boards'

As an owner of Red Barracades ild concur re HASL. (The Commissar’s House!) I was shocked to discover that Hill 621 wasn’t historic...and a great example where I could sub a board 4. (successfully defending Hill 621 without artillery…priceless 😎). I see that the game has evolved in many...
  4. P

I don’t play competitively (I’ll give you the +or- 1 over a rule check any day), so my concern for balance is low (victory conditions or forces can be changed for balance ). Why sub? Scenario SL7 rule 7A got me off on this foot in the 80s and I‘ve never looked back. Sometimes, the desire is...
  5. P

I bought Squad Leader for $10…

Hi everyone, I like historical board games and ccgs. I’ve played SSI, VG, AH, all the old school stuff; Luftwaffe; Panzer Leader; lots of accumulated squad leader counters and boards….I realize from reading the ASL threads that my opponent and a I have stopped before the GI;ASL rule changes...
  6. P

Has anyone had good results substituting newer boards in any of the early SL/CoI/CoD Scenarios? I’m currently considering playing Road to Wiltz using some combination of these newer boards 42/50/62/64/86.
  7. P

SASL Designers Wanted

I’m not sure where this observation belongs, but SASL seems a likely fit: (D10 + D6) , D10 will generate co-ordinates for a geoboard half, weighted toward the Center column. ( I don’t know SASL rules, but a D10 has uses.
  8. P

Losheimergraben, Buchholz Station

Thank you for those resource. There is reference to 37mm HE rounds in the 801st AAR. Did TD recon troops use the lighter 37mm?
  9. P

My error, the 801st TD was attached tonthe 99th, the 820th was to the South. According to this AAR, it was a 37mm of the Rcn Platoon, and a 3” gun that was firing on the boxcars that the 27th took refuge in. https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/p4013coll8/id/3937
  10. P

My interest in expanding this scenario began with the scentence in the aftermath that the battle would go to the side that reinforced first. Both sides had possibilities of receiving air, artillery and armour support as well as the remainder of their respective battalions. From what I’ve seen...
  11. P

Here another paper concerning the action of the 820th TD: https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/library/DonovanPapers/wwii/STUP2/G-L/HortonJamesE%20MAJ.pdf
  12. P

Thanks. I’ve read that too. Great read. There are discrepancies concerning the AT guns and TDs at Buchholz. 57mm being unlimbered 3” rounds being fired (towed 76mm?) description of a TD ”lumbering Up” im looking for help here: The 57mm being the 394ths inherent AT gun(s). 76mm being “Task Force...
  13. P

I’ve always liked SL7 and feel it’s the best scenario to introduce the basic game. https://mcoepublic.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/library/DonovanPapers/wwii/STUP2/S-Z/SimmonsWesleyJ CPT.pdf if you can find the maps referenced, that would help too. From the Medical Detachment that day...
  14. P

I found it on the web and read the preview pages…haven’t. Sourced the book yet. “Grunts”, John C McManus, chapter 4: Scenes from the Northern shoulder of the bulge. ”Operations of Company K. 394th Infantry…” paper for The Advanced Infantry Officers Course Fort Benning 1949-50” Cpt. Wesley J...
  15. P

Thanks, that’s perfect.