Recent content by Phil Palmer

1. P

Wounded SMC Recovery

A question in regards to a Wounded SMC. Of course they have 3MFs and 0 PPs as per A17.2. But is the wounded SMC (in this case a hero) still able to Recover (A4.44) a SW (in this case a 1PP FT)? I seem to remember a Q&A that a wounded SMC cannot portage any PPs (so couldn't move with the FT)...
  2. P

Stacks Moving--AM & NAM

Need some input on an unusal move I saw last night--had never seen anything like it, but don't see anything in the rule book that prohibits it: Situation: Beginning of RB 10/17 Date. German player moves a stack into A9 as a "complex move". Three units are in the stack--a leader, a first-line...
  3. P

T8.0 Gun Emplacements

But here's the problem with the 37*'s. They are not "GUNS" since they are not 5/8" counters, so they don't gain acquisition. And the TK numbers are pretty lousy, even vs a LVT----starts at a 7, lowered by 1 IIRC for shooting into the water. And if you try shooting at >12 hexes, just forget it...
  4. P

AOO & ASLRB Update

And now for something completely different Not to change the subject, but can't find the answer anywhere else--- Have the dates for Winter Offensive 2005 been set. Don't see it on the MMP site and there was no reply under the Tourney thread. Phil "can't wait to get spanked by 5-7...
  5. P

They say size does matter -- for maps

Here's where VASL is great. You can crop the map and print out just the part you need for a certain scenario. And by playing with the print setup, you can print it out in just about whatever scale you like. And VASL's help with scenario boards doesn't end there. You can take the "regular"...
  6. P

Hand-to-Hand vs. Close Combat

HTH Combat Don't forget ABTF--HTH available as an option to the attacker on both sides.
  7. P

Observer setup and HIP status

Observers and HIP Maybe the reason most RB Observers can be HIP is is that not too many people are going to choose a Russian radio over a field phone. 42% chance of contact vs 97%----not a tough decision.
  8. P

Any AAR for Pegasus Bridge Scenarios?

AARs for PB Scenarios? Here's my AAR from a few years back playing PB1 "Ham and Bloody Jam". I had the Brits that come in on gliders at night. On turn one my first glider comes in ---crash/burn. The 2nd glider----crash/burn. The 3rd glider--- you guessed it---crash/burn. Took all of 2...
  9. P

ASLSK (3.6) Can pinned leader rout with brokies?

In ASL, a pinned leader would have to Voluntarily Break in order to rout with other brokies. Not sure if that's in the ASLSK or not.
  10. P

Broken Units and SW Posession

The leader would actually have to RECOVER the SW from the brokie (would involve a dr), and then could transfer it to another unit. Note that Recovery can occur during Rally Phase or Movement Phase. Of course if a leader is present in Rally, I would think you'd by trying to rally the unit instead...
  11. P

BRT CGIII 19PM AAR

Do 37* INF get acquisition? I thought not because they are SWs, not "GUNS", and that only SW MTRs were specifically allowed to gain acq. Phil "don't think the 37* can hit or penetrate worth a darn" Palmer
  12. P

OBA at Night

Getting ready to play the OWT CG. Both the US and Japanese have OBA modules on the first Night CG date. I guess I'm being dense, but it seems to me it would be very hard to use OBA at night. What would it take to place an AR (or even call in to a PRH)? Would the AR hex need to be illuminated...
  13. P

(Z1.518) Marine LMG

(Z1.518) Marine LMG Many thanks. I finally cracked open my Gung Ho box and found some counters I've never needed before---including about 6 LMGs. And also another dozen DCs---geez, if the marines had this many, they could have blown up the entire Pacific.
  14. P

(Z1.518) Marine LMG

OK, about to give up on this one. Pulling counters for a game of OWT this week, and in the Z1.518 US Reinforcement Group Chart, it lists that a Para Rifle Pltn comes with a LMG. I have looked in all of my counter boxes and cannot find such a thing (although one compartment list LMG). An ideas...
  15. P

(G1.2) Japanese HS

I'm digging out my Japanese units to play OWT and noticed that I have 2 different types of 1st Line HS's. They look identical on the front, but on the rear one type has a broken ML of 6 (and a BPV of 4) and the other has a broken ML of 7 (and a BPV of 6). The illustration for G1.2 shows that...