Recent content by Pacman Ghost

1. Pacman Ghost

VASL Map program too small in size..

The screenshot doesn't really show anything useful. Is everything too small relative to everything else on your desktop? The program is written in Python and Javascript, so it's not a problem with Java. Right-click on the vasl-templates.exe icon, choose Properties and go to the Compatibility...
  2. Pacman Ghost

New program to help set up VASL scenarios

Version v1.0 has been released here. No big changes, just the warm fuzzy feeling you get when running a program who's version number doesn't start with a zero :) The main changes are: a Quick Start Guide has been added. the "count remaining" template now includes helper information that...
  3. Pacman Ghost

No, ~ is a bash thing, not a Linux/UNIX thing.
  4. Pacman Ghost

Clearly I type too slowly. Or talk too much. Or both :rolleyes:
  5. Pacman Ghost

Hard experience has shown me that you always want to configure stuff like this using absolute paths :-) There's nothing in the code that bases relative paths off your home directory, so I suspect what's happened is that you've launched the program from your home directory, and so when the...
  6. Pacman Ghost

Since it came up the other day, below are more detailed instructions on how to run this program from the source code. You might want to do this if you're not running on Windows, and it also starts much faster. Tested on Linux, should be OK on a Mac, can work on Windows but needs to be adapted...
  7. Pacman Ghost

Setting vehicles up concealed in bypass

Cool, thanks for that. So, is my understanding that "a unit bypassing a hex is considered to be in that hex" wrong? I can't remember where or how I got that idea, but Philippe seems to think the same, so the idea seems to be floating around. I'm trying to get a better understanding of how...
  8. Pacman Ghost

I think it's clear that this is OK. Eagle4ty quoted A2.9: which implies that units can set up in a hex in which it could enter during normal course of play, which is what one would expect. But my understanding of bypass is the same as Phillippe's in the other thread: There is no new Open...
  9. Pacman Ghost

I don't quite see your reasoning. D2.34 seems to suggest that setting up in bypass is allowed. If a vehicle is able to move through, or end its MPh, in bypass, then it would seem reasonable that it can also set up in bypass, unless there is some rule explicitly preventing it, which I couldn't...
  10. Pacman Ghost

OB-given ? can be used to conceal units at setup, if they are in concealment terrain. I want to set a vehicle up bypassing a building, and given that a vehicle using bypass is considered to be in the hex being bypassed (i.e. a building hex), does that mean I can set it up concealed (even though...
  11. Pacman Ghost

Motion Vehicle Affects ATT To Hit

If you're being targeted by infantry fire, sure. But if you're firing a Gun or mortar, it's less clear. The German 4-6-7 is standing motionless in Open Ground when it's attacked by the Russian mortar. The 8-3-8 is running across Open Ground ground when it is attacked. Why is it so much easier...
  12. Pacman Ghost

That's the point I was making. The DFF attack can only affect the moving unit, but anyone who happened to be in the hex already is completely immune. If someone moves into the hex after the DFF attack, yes they can be affected by the RF, but someone who's in the hex prior to the attack, and...
  13. Pacman Ghost

I was mulling over this in a game the other day. A mortar DFF's on a moving squad in Open Ground. It has to use Area Target Type, which is essentially splattering the entire hex with rounds, rather than specifically targeting the squad, yet it can only affect the moving squad, but not anything...
  14. Pacman Ghost

Using bypass to enter the board

That's a good point, I didn't think about that. Although I suppose if I'm going to don my robes and go full-on Rules Laywer to sleaze myself an extra entry hex, I deserve to lose my concealment on the way in :rolleyes:
  15. Pacman Ghost

Using bypass to enter the board

I am constrained as which hex I can enter on, that's the whole point behind my question. The SSR says that I must enter on/between hexrows V and Z, so my question is: if I bypass the woods in V0, along a hexside that's nominally off-board, and then into U1, does that meet the SSR requirements...