Recent content by Oleg Grigoryev

1. O

Soviet/Russian military movies

And what is so good about this review exactly? Yes “shtrafabat” has hardly anything to do with reality but his (the author of the review) problem is not so much with factual errors as with that some “proavoslavni” is shown as a traitor – it did not even occur to me that his beliefs are an...
  2. O

First thing first – “No man’s land” - http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?id=1807485009&d=hv&cf=info –watched it in Serbian with English subtitles. Did not really need the later since it was for me understand 80% of the dialog as it was. I see because it was not 179 million it probably was not even...
  3. O

Give some credit to western public will you. It is not that easily scared. Even more so people who watch foreign movies are well aware of the problem and there are some purists who even prefer to be this way. Das Boot for instance was selling in two versions – German with subtitles and...
  4. O

some visual aids
  5. O

Andrey, I might be wrong but I sense unwarranted hostility in your post. I really have no idea what personal policy of mine you are alluding to. I said it was a good movie ( I am not sure if it’s Oscar- worthy but then again IMO neither was “Crouching tiger”) and my only problem was not with...
  6. O

I actually caught this movie during its debut in Los Angles –as part of the days of Russian Culture (or whatever the actual name was). While the movie itself is good, the problem is it looses a whole lot in translation- firstly subtitles often actually are cutting corners only conveying the...
  7. O

Yea... but the book was fun to read. And at least, according to preview I saw, computer graphics was finally good enough. As for “August” I did not think that the movie did justice to the book ,I know it is the way with most book-based films, but in this case I got an impression that without a...
  8. O

Really? I was disappointed by it - I found movie being to jerky and dialogs somewhat wooden. I guess I’ll have to wait until the “Convoy PQ-17” comes out. :)
  9. O

I was under impression that the initial idea behind the thread was to enlighten our esteemed western audience on the matter of Russian war movies. If somebody from the US audience would want to see it , it would be far easier for then to locate the movie by the English title.
  10. O

why, it is a movie poster :D Seriously though I believe that indeed the Russian name of this flick is a Kavkazskiy Plennik, movie is loosely based on Tolstoy novel. Two major characters paled by duo of Menshikov and Bodrov...
  11. O

P.s... One of my favorite WW II movies, which for whatever reason, is not all well too known even in CSI is Otriad, which I guess is “the troop” in English. Prisoner of the mountains is another good movie although it is probably more anti-war than war movie.
  12. O

Too bad it has so many factual mistakes... For ones there were only one or two penal battalion per-front. They were composed not of GULAG inmates but of officers sentenced by tribunals to various jail-times for various misdeeds. The battalions itself was reminiscent in its TOE to the regular...