Recent content by Nat Mallet

1. N

Open invitation to PBEM

This is an open invitation to anyone looking for a CM PBEM game. Even if this post is months old, feel free to email me if you're looking for a game. I'm willing to play pretty much anything, which includes: CMBO, CMBB, CMAK Scenarios or QBs Any Size Any nationality Playtest scenarios...
  2. N

Computer ASL

At the risk of highjacking the thread (again), I thought the game did a lot of things completely wrong. I didn't like the audio, I didn't like the card placement it enforced, I didn't like the card restriction rules, I thought the game was sluggish, even for a top end machine, etc. (But...
  3. N

Computer ASL

Actually, that's pretty much what I was getting at. The card game is great (if you're into that sort of thing: I was/am). The first few computer versions were utter crap, and really didn't reproduce the "essence" of the game. I haven't played Magic Online, so I can't really comment, but it...
  4. N

Computer ASL

I think that's a bit of a stretch. I think most folks know that you can't judge a book based on a movie (and vice versa), so I doubt they'd compare a board game to a computer game. Here are a few examples: Magic: card vs computer Fight Club: Movie vs game (movie great, game sucked)...
  5. N

Computer ASL

At the risk of starting a flame war, what difference does it make if they screw it up? It's not as it will have impact on ASL itself, nor will it prevent another company from trying to build a computer version of ASL. Nat
  6. N

Computer ASL

I have several Paradox titles, and I thought they were quite good. I didn't see any glaring problems with the faithfulness of the product to historical events and context, and I certainly didn't see software bugs to the extent that some have reported. So I'm going to be guardedly optimistic...
  7. N

Your First ASL Experience

My first scenario was The Guards Counterattack against Adrian Earle. I was commading the German force, and got properly stomped. Learned my first tactical lesson of ASL: try to keep units together in small groups, but in different hexes, to form FGs and take out the enemy. I was pretty much...
  8. N

Who would you like to play?

Quebec City, eh? A very good friend of mine lives there, and I visit a few times a year. What if I could sneak out for an afternoon? Nat
  9. N

What rules do you have the hardest time grasping?

Chapters A-D give me the hardest time... In all seriousness though, bypass give me a hard time, as does the blind hex system. But like a few have mentioned, it's not any specific rule, it's the volume of rules. I guess that comes with a lot of playing. Nat
  10. N

What Sort of Opponent Appeals To You?

I'm still very much in the learning phase, so I prefer someone with patience, and who can teach me the rules as well as strategy & tactics. I also refuse to play arseholes. Fortunately, I've yet to play against one. Other than that, I don't care who I play. Nat
  11. N

Who would you like to play?

Tom Repetti and Sam Belcher: Games against them must be a riot! Nat
  12. N

Top 10 Boards Used In Scenarios

I don't have the numbers in my head, but I like the dense urban maps. The RB maps come to mind. Mark: Have you tried designing your own maps? I know you've worked on a lot of scenarios, how much extra work would it be to make your own maps? Nat
  13. N

AOO & ASLRB Update

I think you're missing the point. The MMP guys didn't start the business to make money, they started the business to keep wargaming alive. With that goal in mind, the ROI, or the fact that the company revenues aren't enough to support the entire staff are irrelevant. I think MMP is wildly...
  14. N

ASL Counters

We're now comparing counter upgrades to the discovery of penicillin?! :) I think it doesn't make a difference one way or the other. More stuff is always good, especially for those that have all of the current ASL stuff. For those who don't think new counters are important, they can add it...
  15. N

ASL Scenario Hall of Fame

Why does it have to be a scenario published in 2001 or earlier (I don't have Journal 4)? Thanks, Nat