Recent content by Michael Dorosh

1. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

Great info! Thanks for sharing it. I wonder if you couldn't SSR unarmed (prisoner) counters to act as combatants, perhaps have a higher CC value or something.
  2. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

As is often the case, I think the scenario designers bear more responsibility to historical inaccuracies than the game developers. The rules are a toolbox, it is up to the designers to ensure whatever level of historical fidelity they want. Though I would be interested in reading an account of a...
  3. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

There's lots more work to be done, I am sure. Engen studied combat effectiveness in the Second World War and came to different conclusions than Marshall, but the methodology seems to have been different. IIRC Engen reviewed the questionnaires filled out by platoon commanders, Marshall talked...
  4. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

One infantry platoon commander stated flat out in multiple articles in our Legion Magazine after the war that the fire put out by his riflemen in action in North Africa, Sicily, Italy and NW Europe was negligible, and in his opinion, could have given the majority of riflemen pitchforks for all...
  5. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

I'm missing the part where the Germans changed their infantry doctrine to accommodate these new weapons. If they relied on their mortars and machine guns to do the heavy lifting, what difference would a few StG44 have made?
  6. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

Not sure how accurate the numbers are (it also drops the "d" in "and" so on first glance I thought it said "infantry in armoured divisions" and not "infantry and armoured divisions." There were a bunch of different KStN/TOE/WE organizations and it could also vary by theatre - Canada had two...
  7. Michael Dorosh

Ozerkeya Bay Machine Gun insanity

You haven't said whether or not these design choices turned out to be mistakes. You were concerned, but was the concern founded? I haven't played one of George's campaigns (yet) other than the mini-campaigns in his scenario packs but as someone who playtested a couple of products, I was frankly...
  8. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

Standard German infantry squad according to Alex Buchner (German Infantry Handbook) was 10 men. By 1944 this was reduced to 9. Standard loadout was an MPi, an lMG and 7 carbines (Kar98k). I don't know where the 12/13 man figure comes from? https://archive.is/www.bayonetstrength.150m.com The...
  9. Michael Dorosh

Ozerkeya Bay Machine Gun insanity

Machine gun counters don't just represent physical weapons, but skilled operators able to employ them effectively. Just about every squad in the game could have an LMG if one was going to go by TO&E. Artillery caused 75% of the casualties on the battlefield in actuality, so its not really...
  10. Michael Dorosh

ASL and the StG-44

This again? http://thetacticalwargamer.blogspot.com/2018/04/the-2-half-squads-interview-with-john_20.html From my website, the transcript of the 2 Half Squads interview with John Hill JOHN HILL: So I sort of worked it out. We used to play monst-... Micro Armor and I used little wargame...
  11. Michael Dorosh

Finding Aerial Photographs?

I believe this was TARA, it struck me as an expensive proposition to use them. A google search for The Aerial Reconnaissance Archives doesn't seem to find much. The University of Calgary website mentions them, and the link goes here, which is the link Luis mentioned, the National Collection of...
  12. Michael Dorosh

Missing Rules Section: Fighter-Bomber Wire Cutters

World War II field telephone lines tended to be laid on the ground, or in trees. The reference above to the AIW is to civilian telephone lines which are strung on poles. Civilian phone systems were sometimes used in World War II, but were not considered a dependable source of communications.
  13. Michael Dorosh

Beevor on war movies

I actually bought a copy of Anzio, I watch it - and Battle of the Bulge - the same way I would watch Plan 9 From Outer Space. They're so very, very bad that they become good. Best part of Anzio is the walk through the Royal Palace of Caserta in the opening credits.
  14. Michael Dorosh

Beevor on war movies

Missed this the first time, great link. I've taken some 3-month courses on novel writing, and there is a lot of 'formula' there too, but good writers will find ways to transcend that. There is nothing wrong with sticking to the formula, at least a little, if it makes audiences happy, but I tend...
  15. Michael Dorosh

Beevor on war movies

All the old epics tended to be that way - Tora, Tora, Tora was one, also A Bridge Too Far, The Longest Day, etc. They were designed to be told in vignettes for exactly that reason. My Top Turkey is STALINGRAD (1993) which while not a bad look at a small unit of soldiers, really gave only flashes...