Recent content by Michael Dorosh

1. Michael Dorosh

A.P. Fourteen.

Everything is relative, is the simplest answer. You hint at the answer yourself. Longstop (in Tunisia) was so steep, apparently, the Germans were amazed when Churchill tanks arrived at the top of it. I think this example was actually mentioned in the design group discussions for the Forgotten...
  2. Michael Dorosh

A.P. Fourteen.

Shoulda had some combo sunken-road/woods hexes on that bocage-y hill. The standard road net seems kinda outta place. Not anyone's fault, I think the Gnarl button was simply mis-calibrated.
  3. Michael Dorosh

A.P. Fourteen.

I think Rembrandt once said "we can not have enough portraits."
  4. Michael Dorosh

A.P. Fourteen.

Oh dear. They'd be having fun the wrong way!
  5. Michael Dorosh

A.P. Fourteen.

They're all starting to look the same to me at this point.
  6. Michael Dorosh

The Irrigation Ditch Poll

Not so sure about that, my 1940s Willy's wouldn't have even slowed down for a ditch like that. The "infantry protection" notion also bears some scrutiny. You don't have to be able to get bullets through cover in order to break a squad. Just the sound of bullets snapping overhead, or splashing...
  7. Michael Dorosh

One chapter further on from swamp brings you to G8 Rice Paddies which is probably closer to it. G8.12 in particular.
  8. Michael Dorosh

Yes, exactly.
  9. Michael Dorosh

I think many of the respondents aren't even clear what the term refers to. You're talking about entire fields full of ditches (like on the Elst map, also happened outside Carentan and other places). Those things the British call "verges" - roadside ditches - that's something else altogether.
  10. Michael Dorosh

What was your very first computer wargame you ever played???

I remember Silent Service, the original, I rather enjoyed it. What a golden age it was for sims. Muzzle Velocity by digi4fun was a hybrid - you could play it off a wargame map, or jump into the 3D world and take over as an AFV or an infantryman in 1st person mode.
  11. Michael Dorosh

More "real" SMC names please

For a dollar day and all the bully beef they could eat.
  12. Michael Dorosh

More "real" SMC names please

I do have a leader counter named after me by MMP and I agree completely with him. But we're talking personal preferences here, so he's entitled to his opinion as much as you are yours. It's not like anything will change. As silly as Connerski sounds, still better than the system they used for...
  13. Michael Dorosh

After a game, what factors do you consider important when deciding whether a scenario's fun?

Are we discussing the experience of the scenario, or the design of the scenario itself? If the former, I consider the following things as a gauge of "fun": How many rule look ups did I have to make, particularly for stuff I've never done How complicated were the SSRs How much math did I have...