Recent content by mgenberg

1. M

A personal note from the staff

Negativity not only affects the desire of the human beings at any particular company from wanting to participate in a forum, but it also affects those who visit a particular forum. Many folks left the ASLML in its heyday because of the perceived negativity. Additionally, a good question to ask...
  2. M

What side in SS scenarios?

Similar to what others have mentioned, my first instinct it to think about taking the side with more toys and tougher troops -- that tends to be SS in many cases. It's probably what draws some folks to want to be them without giving much thought to the particular scenario. Depending on how...
  3. M

What do you look for in ASL Third Party Products?

Of course, quality control has to be one of the most important factors, to include both the actual materials as well as the content. I don't want to buy any shody workmanship, or have to glue my own counters together. What will turn me away from a product is something that I think is outside...
  4. M

Your Favorite Third Party Publisher

I voted for HOB because I enjoy their products, find them to be consistantly of quality and they seem to be innovative. Regardless of publisher, what I do not enjoy in products is extensions to the rules (such as new terrain types, etc.). I have enough trouble keeping up with the rules that...
  5. M

ASL fanatic personalities.

For me, it's somewhat relative. My desk is slightly messy, my car has some gear that can be cleaned up (cycling gear but in giant plastic containers, hmm... a pattern). However, my ASL gear is neatly organized, in containers and binders. It does bother me when my binders of scenarios are...
  6. M

Tacticians or Lawyers?

Clearly an interesting topic as indicated by the number of responses. I voted for tactics. I think if you don't know what you want to do from a tactical standpoint, the rules won't help. The rules can give you specific techniques that can be decisive in determining the winner. As a...
  7. M

They say size does matter -- for maps

I think hex size should depend on the action, as stated by some others: high density, a slightly bigger hex is useful. As far as map size, maps for the CG need to fit on the table and that's about it (meaning decent size is okay). Convenience for playing a scenario in a crowded tournament...
  8. M

Fyi

Congrats on the new distribution method. I hope it proves successful and generates much in terms of new sales revenue.
  9. M

ASL Literature: What areas remain?

Tactics is a great topic to cover, from the basic concepts to how to implement those concepts in ASL terms. I sometime see mistakes made in basic tactical fundamentals, regardless of the game mechanics involved. Replays are a great way to demonstrate tactics and mechanics; great for new and...
  10. M

Observer setup and HIP status

Excellent. Thanks for the reply. There it is in black and white. I'll just have to remember to use field phones when possible!
  11. M

Observer setup and HIP status

I can't recall where I read it and have scoured the rules for the status of observer setup. Are they normally allowed to setup HIP? An opponent recently asked me why I hadn't setup my observers HIP, which raises my curiosity again. Any difference if it's Red Barricades and not considering...
  12. M

Any word on Winter Offensive '05

Any word on Winter Offensive '05? Just curious if any information has been made available for the dates of Winter Offensive '05. You can never plan too early!
  13. M

How do you choose/eliminate scenarios to play?

I think it's very situationally dependent. If the game is to be played at a neutral site where cleanup is necessary, then time can be a limiting factor (can't leave it setup to finish later). If it's a pickup game and there are rules I don't know or aren't comfortable with, then I'll...
  14. M

Looking for VASL PBEM game

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm set to give it a go.
  15. M

Looking for VASL PBEM game

I've not done any VASL play but thought I'd give it a try. I'm a reasonably experienced player and would prefer PBEM to live play. If you're interested in giving it a whirl, drop me a private message with your contact info. Any takers?