Recent content by Matt Romey

1. Matt Romey

BB1 Taming Tulagi

This scenario is indeed unbalanced. Nevertheless, it is a very good cave primer. The situation is interesting, yet not overly complicated making it easy to navigate for the beginning cave player. It’s also small enough to switch sides and play again. I recommend it.
  2. Matt Romey

SCENARIO 2000 (ASL) Operation Hubertus

RB CG is woefully pro-German? I’d characterize this as a Hot Take.
  3. Matt Romey

Aerial Combat initiation

Yeah, but I mean it's a risk/benefit assessment. There are times you'd rather tie your opponent's plane(s) up so you can move ground units the next turn. Sure there's a possibility of getting whacked first, but not a huge one (eliminated on DR<=4). Might be worth the gamble. Thanks all!
  4. Matt Romey

Aerial Combat initiation

Correct, the sequence is clear in the rule as well: Does anybody know of a Q&A about who can initiate a Dogfight?
  5. Matt Romey

Aerial Combat initiation

May a DEFENDER initiate a Dogfight? i.e., may I still initiate a Dogfight during my opponent's CCPh? The letter of the rule suggests that I can. However, it kind of rubs against the grain of how CC is initiated normally.
  6. Matt Romey

#55: Castles on the Horizon

I'd love to play this scenario, but I'm stymied right out of the gate by the SSR that allows all MMC to set up in foxholes. Wouldn't this negate the utility of the OoB-provided dummy counters, since once an enemy unit comes on board they would reveal that none of them set up with foxholes...
  7. Matt Romey

Adding extra board after setup

Once you've created your map setup is there a way to add an extra board to the left or at the top of the playing area? We have a starshell that went off map to the left of the screen that is not projecting its 3-hex "glow" since it's not on board. It'd be nice to add an extra board so that it...
  8. Matt Romey

AAR - The Sooner The Better - J91

I guess that would be prudent. They can always clean up the German infantry in the endgame and/or create Smoke when needed. Well, if you hadn't lost that Cruiser, than you'd have been one dead Portee away from being ahead in VPs. Which begs the question: How reliable is the "infantry goes to...
  9. Matt Romey

AAR - The Sooner The Better - J91

FYI, the cruisers don’t have HE either. Smoke only...and MGs.
  10. Matt Romey

J91 'The Sooner the Better' Errata?

Damn, you're right. I never noticed that. Feel free to submit an official Q&A, but I'll tell you right here that the Turn Record Chart is a typo. The German reinforcements come in on Turn 1 as described (and note that the Germans move first).
  11. Matt Romey

A2.4 and B.1 terrain movement costs

I admit that I haven't read Chapter K since 1986, so that's a nice catch.
  12. Matt Romey

A2.4 and B.1 terrain movement costs

I was playing Chuck Hammond over the weekend and came across a rules issue that was new to us. We’ve gotten a lot of boards recently that incorporate hexes that are a combo of two types. e.g. woods/brush. Now, I never played that entry costs are cumulative, but I read A2.4 recently (apparently...
  13. Matt Romey

AAR - Castles On The Horizon - J186

Oh, and by the way... Dummies can only set up in scrub (A12.12), so their utility is very limited. I'd say this hinders me greatly from trying this scenario. A shame, since it's one of the only desert scenarios to come out recently. (That I know of).
  14. Matt Romey

Not exactly what I meant. That wouldn't help anyway because the German enters the board and the foxholes all get immediately revealed. Thus announcing the dummy hexes, which wouldn't have foxholes. How about: all units (real or dummies) get to set up in foxholes. Or, add an extra 4 or so...
  15. Matt Romey

Yeah, this couldn't have been intentional. It seriously undermines the use of dummy stacks. I'd love to see an errata for this.