Recent content by kcole4001

1. kcole4001

Main section

Yeah, we played a bunch of those Milton Bradley games in that format in addition to proper wargames, the MB games were great if you wanted to include 3 or 4 friends that showed up. I was pretty excited when I saw that CA made a PC game of Shogun as Total War: Shogun (the first in a long lived...
  2. kcole4001

Main section

It was semi-amusing a few times, not so much after that. The box lid worked very well, I must say, especially for the smaller ASL dice. More than a few Axis & Allies games were ruined by wayward dice, Dawn Patrol - wasn't too hard to remember where the planes were, D&D minis were pretty...
  3. kcole4001

Main section

I know a person who constantly rolled their dice across whatever game map we were playing on and frequently knocked over counters/pieces so the box top rule was instituted (the roll didn't count unless it was done inside an upturned box top). That really cut back the "recovery phase" of any...
  4. kcole4001

Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Congratulations, may you have many happy years together! :)🍾🍾🥂
  5. kcole4001

Mortar spotters

Yep, build yourself a 'mortar park' or two in RB, RO, VoTG, etc. and use the cloaking display to keep track of what has fired etc. You have to be very conscious of moving through the mortars' hex of course to not overstack or draw fire. You get a LOT more rate sprees and crits than you'd...
  6. kcole4001

Set up an old TV for VASL.

Two problems with that: the price becomes $4736 Cdn, I wouldn't pay that much for something without wheels and an engine (not a fan of anything apple either) 😬 "Currently, the Vision Pro supports English (US) and Emoji given the AR/VR headset is only available in the United States. But to...
  7. kcole4001

Well, I managed to duplicate the RB board file with the map running left to right instead of top to bottom, many thanks to user JR V who posted this on boardgamegeek: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2421275/creating-vasl-map I spent a couple of hours inputting the building location, type, &...
  8. kcole4001

My only gripe regarding using VASL is that HASL maps don't fit on a 27" monitor. I have a three monitor setup so I can stretch the window so I can see all of the width of the map, but I still have to scroll up and down even at the lowest zoom level, it feels very limiting regarding any long LOS...
  9. kcole4001

Help with vehicle counter organization, Plano 3701?

Human nature ensured that once the concept was proven, it was an inevitability. ONE bomb that do that much damage? It's going to get built no matter what. If only that amount of research went into determining the best counter clipping and storage solutions.....:)
  10. kcole4001

Return With Us To Those Glorius Days Of Yesteryear

For me $100 disposable cash was less available then than $250 is today. But you could buy a hell of a lot more groceries with $100 in '89 than today...😓
  11. kcole4001

Small Scenarios and Dice Luck

I have had more consistently average rolls since getting precision BattleSchool dice. I still get some great low rolls and some terrible high rolls, but it's more of a balanced spread, even during solo play. No, I haven't tabulated thousands of rolls to categorically prove anything...that's far...
  12. kcole4001

On the to Bridge(s)

I hadn't checked on the used market ABtF prices for a long time, there's one copy on ebay... o_O...
  13. kcole4001

I have found that I have more consistently even luck vs an opponent compared with solo play. Full disclosure: much of that solo play was in strategic games - 3R, GoA, Pacific War, etc. I've played these games solo so much since my friends usually didn't have the time to wade through a campaign...
  14. kcole4001

Luck happens, it forces you to adapt, so it can be a learning experience. 'Do overs' diminish the experience in my opinion. Maybe if a disastrous roll on the first shot of turn 1 wrecks your plan do a total reset of the scenario, 'cause that may not have been the best plan. I just roll with it...
  15. kcole4001

It wasn't you....some chunky guy named Shultz was in charge of the ammo and left it all back at the depot. Some days are diamonds, some are brown and squishy.