Recent content by Jwil2020

1. Jwil2020

Auto-Reveal HIP Fortifications

I'm grateful for all the time and resources spent improving VASL for us technologically uninitiated. But from my vantage point in the far-far back row of the peanut gallery, I can't help but wonder if this is a solution in search of a problem.
  2. Jwil2020

A7.353 question/clarification

Here is a link from BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/3249395/subsequent-first-fire-by-halfsquads And Jim Bishop wrote a whole article on it: https://jekl.com/2024/02/17/half-squads-and-subsequent-first-fire/
  3. Jwil2020

A7.353 question/clarification

There have been a couple of recent threads on this question. I'll let others comment on your last two questions, but when it comes to SFF, the target does not need to be adjacent.
  4. Jwil2020

VASL-6.6.8 is released

Or... you can just wait till the bugs have been worked out of 6.6.8, then download the cleaned-up version. That's what I usually do. :)
  5. Jwil2020

The wonderful "and/or" VC conditions.

I'm not sure we are in disagreement. Any VC which states how one side can win, also implies how one side can lose. And the VC does not state that the French need to 'take' both buildings to win. They only have to ensure that the Americans do not have enough GO SE remaining to meet the VC...
  6. Jwil2020

FWIW, a quick internet search on the use of the "and/or" clause revealed this: You should use and/or when both options are applicable in its place. "I would like cake and/or pie" means "I would like one or both of the following: cake; pie." The main reason for using and/or is to remove the...
  7. Jwil2020

IMO, the only logical interpretation is that the designer intended that the Americans win if they have a total of at least 3 SE in either or both buildings at game end. IOW, 1.5 in Building A and 1.5 in Building B =win. Or all 3 in Building A, or all 3 in Building B, etc. To expect them to...
  8. Jwil2020

Majority Squad Type?

👆 Excellent summary of the issue.
  9. Jwil2020

VASSAL 3.7.9 Install Error

What tips?
  10. Jwil2020

Only IFT MCs can Pin?

A10.53 says, “An Interdicted unit is also subject to pinning (7.8).“ So again, the reader is referred back to A7.8 which seems to be a touchstone used by the RB to explain the effects of being pinned, including, but not limited to IFT results. I also notice that A7.8 starts with, “Pinning...
  11. Jwil2020

Only IFT MCs can Pin?

Does A10.3 help: "Personnel which pass their mandated MC are unharmed (although possibly pinned 7.8)..." ? I don't see a special category of MC in the rules. But, I need glasses to read...:rolleyes:
  12. Jwil2020

House rules

All probably true. I was only pointing that the ASL graybeards used the term House Rule, but did not give direct guidance on how to structure this HR. Hence, what works for you and me not might work for two other players. Which, I think, is the main problem with HRs. But hey, it’s a very...
  13. Jwil2020

Residual in a Foxhole hex

I think you are making it more difficult than it needs to be. If a unit IN a FH moves out, it will be subject to a D1F attack since it had to spend at least one MF to exit, and since it is no longer under the FH counter, the FH TEM will NOT affect that shot. Therefore, if the FH was in OG FFMO...
  14. Jwil2020

Residual in a Foxhole hex

The rules for FH are in B27. B27.3 tells us a unit needs to be beneath a FH counter to get its TEM DRM. Also, B27.42 tells us FFMO applies for exiting an OG FH.
  15. Jwil2020

House rules

A12.16 essentially admits there is a conflict regarding how dummy stacks moving about the board are to be dealt with and specifically recommends players "...adopt an honor system House Rule..." to deal with it.