Recent content by JOS

1. JOS

DZ: SME Night Moon/Clouds

Thanks, that was very interesting. Joshua
  2. JOS

DZ: SME Night Moon/Clouds

Does anyone know the historical Moon Phase/Cloud cover for 6-7 June 1944? Since in ASL the NVR change defaults to one hex in the absence of specified Moon/Clouds, I guess it won't affect play, but it just feels strange not to see it noted in a HASL. (Or, did I just miss it in Ch SM?) Thanks, Joshua
  3. JOS

Manila questions

I would appreciate some clarification on SF20.605 (Infiltration) from those 'in the know'. Is 'closer to .... unit(s)' calculated in each hex along the infiltrator's path, or only once at the beginning of the infiltration? In other words, may an infiltrator enter multiple hexes that are both...
  4. JOS

Who are the Free French in ASL?

Ad hominem much?
  5. JOS

Manila Questions

Looking over the Manila (Sword and Fire) rules and scenario SF1, and have some questions. Most of these seem clear, but confirmation would be appreciated … Chapter SF: SF1, SSR SF6 (Trenches). Do trenches here not connect to buildings/rubble generally (i.e., do they only connect to those...
  6. JOS

ASL Bell Tolls

Gary was great fun in our many VASL games, for all the reasons noted above by others. After my 1 FP residuals kept knocking out his SS troops in Cat's Kill, he (profanely) reminded me of it every other time I'd put down a resid counter. He also had a sense of humor: when I suggested the 'Chimp...
  7. JOS

Manila maps....

Regarding this, Carl N. pointed out to me that although the Manila map does not appear on the VASL site, it does magically appear in the latest VASL (as map SF if I recall correctly). Hope that helps, Joshua
  8. JOS

Am I doing Starshells correctly?

a. Yes. A LOS to a Known enemy unit is not required for a starshell attempt. b. Yes. The results and placement of the first starshell is resolved before the next attempt. A couple of notes: 1. I am assuming this was the first turn of the scenario, and thus MMCs were allowed to make their...
  9. JOS

Am I doing Starshells correctly?

I would be happy to answer questions on the use of starshells. Unfortunately, your example involves SASL, which is a rules section with which I am unfamiliar. If you could be more specific on your questions regarding starshells (e.g., who can try for them, when an attempt can be made, etc.) and...
  10. JOS

What are my Routing options?

None of the German units are forced to rout, since they have in hex cover from the AFVs. This would be true even if the Russian had GO units in range and LOS. Assuming no Known enemy units or other buildings outside the picture, the Z1 units may Low Crawl to Z0 (W1 can be ignored as it is more...
  11. JOS

Dinant CG Initial Scenario French FPP Restrictions

Thanks, Carl. I figured that was the intent. Enjoy, Joshua
  12. JOS

Dinant CG Initial Scenario French FPP Restrictions

Refit Step DN4.615 is listed as applicable to setup for the Initial Scenario in the Dinant CG. However, applying the restrictions therein, especially those regarding range and LOS to Known Enemy Units, seems problematic. Which, if any, of the following DN4.615 restrictions apply to...
  13. JOS

Rubble LOS

In case you need to justify Robin's (correct) reply to an opponent, B10.1 spells out exactly this situation. Enjoy, Joshua
  14. JOS

Crags and Broken Terrain

Having recently played a scenario (OB7, Crisis at Kasserine, recommended!) that uses Broken Terrain, I disagree. The VASL terrain transformation is 'smart' enough that BG 'obstacle' crags have a different depiction (more 'boulders') than the regular Crag hexes. Indeed, I cannot imagine ever...
  15. JOS

VASL Night League Round One Matchups

Randy Rossi and I finished our game of WO8 (Silent Night, Deadly Night). My defending Americans defeated his Germans, although any elation I may have felt at that was tempered by our sense that this one is very hard on the attackers. This will sit at 10-10 on ROAR when/if Carl is kind enough to...