Recent content by Joelist

1. Joelist

What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

Ste. Mere Eglise.
  2. Joelist

Rising Sun Reprint

Rising Sun has arrived, and it is sweet! LOTS of stuff in the box and print quality is high.
  3. Joelist

ASL 213 It's So Easy!

I think it closes off all the gamey stuff. Does it get the scenario to where you intended it?
  4. Joelist

ASL 213 It's So Easy!

Hi Laurent! What did you think of the SSR the way I formulated it? To wit: CPVA units MUST setup either Hidden or Concealed. CPVA units that exit the play area (EXC: CPVA guarding Prisoners) are considered Prisoners that exited the East board edge for VP purposes.
  5. Joelist

ASL 213 It's So Easy!

In a way this is a really good solitaire exercise. Yes the CCP is not going to be in exciting play mode but then again this also is the ONLY ASL scenario I have ever seen that depicts a foundational activity of military ground units - the Recon Patrol.
  6. Joelist

VASL6.6.0-beta1 is released

I am using 6.6.0 on my MacBook Pro (MacOS 10.15.6) and so far I have to give it a big thumbs up! It is fast, smooth, runs on the current VASSAL properly (3.3.2) and looks better than in the past. I am seeing nice, smooth transitions and the jagged curves in some functions that used to be there...
  7. Joelist

AFV tweaks thoughts

There is both primary and secondary source material for it. Jenz is indeed one so are Doubler and Freissner. As to leaving it to saying they broke down en route I am not sure that is sufficient - they need to be unreliable in the scenario as well to properly show the scope of the issue. I am...
  8. Joelist

AFV tweaks thoughts

Hi! My research is showing that the armor plate issues were isolated to Pz V and VI and while infrequent were still a real factor. The automotive issues for the V and VI were both widespread and persisted till end of war (OKW for example on more than one occasion had roughly half its Panther...
  9. Joelist

AFV tweaks thoughts

Sounds like Kevin and I have been having some similar thoughts. Mine started when looking at Yanks scenarios and reflecting on the reality that, by the time of the Cobra breakout, the US Army tank forces were, crew quality wise, equal to and frequently better than the Germans. Also the reality...
  10. Joelist

AFV tweaks thoughts

I thought about Armor Leaders. However they do not come in the '+' variety leaving no way to represent poor or green units. Plus a force grade is better for showing actions where an entire side was more or less proficient. An example would be Smolensk 1941 where you might assign the Soviets a +1...
  11. Joelist

AFV tweaks thoughts

I hope this is in the correct forum - mods feel free to move if it is not. I have been pushing around in my brain some thoughts about AFV play in ASL and ways to enhance the realism with minimum added overhead. Here are a couple I came up with: a) Crew Quality - this would be a general...
  12. Joelist

Designers' Response to the Desperation Morale Review of Forgotten War

MMP does not exactly have an open signup process for this stuff. My only quibble was that not only do you need several Core modules (which I have no objection to) for the scenarios you also need several Action Packs; not all of which are in print. How about having Core module scenarios limited...
  13. Joelist

Good points. In fact I would say that ASL rewards ahistorical tactics no matter the nationality with the leadership modifiers. I have experimented with a modification to how Leaders work - basically what it does is instead of the leadership modifier affecting the IFT shot it is the number of...
  14. Joelist

Overall I don't mind Forgotten War. If I had an issue with it the issue is more in the extremely large number of other products required to play the scenarios. As to the reservations the design group has with Chapter C, I too would like to see the issues explained. I agree with their...
  15. Joelist

Are you sick of Korea already?

Can you please concentrate on scenarios that use no overlays and use boards found in BV, Yanks, Rising Sun or FW? That way people who don't have every large and small product can play them.