Recent content by Jeff Leslie

1. Jeff Leslie

OBA flowchart question

Yes I actually Googled usage of the word "nor". ...That depends on what your definition of the word "is" is... William Jefferson Clinton
  2. Jeff Leslie

OBA flowchart question

I'm on the FFE:2 page of the OBA Flowchart. Top box: I do not wish to cancel the FFE:2, so I follow the "No" path out of that box. Next box after "No" above: -- The observer DOES NOT have LOS to Base Level of FFE hex. -- The observer DOES have LOS to Blast Height of FFE hex, BUT -- The...
  3. Jeff Leslie

Field Phone Security Area & terrain Blaze

Well, if you want to inject reality into ASL - I used to see reels of WD-1 wire that you would run out and hook up and the line was dead because somewhere the wire had a kink or a short in it. Not surprising when you use and reuse something like that over and over again over several years or...
  4. Jeff Leslie

Field Phone Security Area & terrain Blaze

Does a terrain blaze in a Field Phone Security Area kill the wire connection? I would assume it does, but #1 I don't assume anything with ASL and #2, I couldn't find anywhere that actually says it. The Blaze was created by spread, not from an attack on the hex in question.
  5. Jeff Leslie

A few AT Minefield questions

The first 2 questions are more protocol questions than anything. As everyone knows, playing ASL via PBEM (maybe not everyone if you've never played PBEM) is a bit different than a FtF game as far as the flow of things. I play a lot of PBEM but new things pop up all the time to make me wonder how...
  6. Jeff Leslie

VASL Map Online Problem/Suggestion Form

Not sure if this is the right forum to post map errors, but here goes anyways. I've noticed that the LOS thread on the current Red October map is a couple pixels off. Looks like 1 up and 1 left of dead center.
  7. Jeff Leslie

What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

In your second sentence you answered the question I had upon reading your first sentence and that was how much of a presence did ASL have. I noticed at ASLOK that pretty much everyone there was a Greybeard (myself included...). It seems like ASL isn't attracting the younger players like it did...
  8. Jeff Leslie

AP Mines in a Bridge/Gully hex

I found a couple other posts reference this topic but they didn't answer my question below. Situation: AP Mines are in a hex where a printed Bridge spans a Gully. The picture in the rulebook under B6. Bridges of hex 5Z9 is a perfect example of the hex in question. The mines were previously...
  9. Jeff Leslie

Vassal 3.7.0 Released

I'm happy to report that VASL 6.6.7beta7 with VASSAL 3.7.1 appears to have solved the moved flag issue and so far is working with no errors. The chat delay is also gone but I think that was solved prior to this combination.
  10. Jeff Leslie

Dash and Hidden Minefields

@ScottRomanowski I agree. Another case of how you sometimes have to break down a rule into parts to extract what the rule allows you to do, forces you to do, or prohibits you from doing. ASL is definitely an exercise in reading comprehension.
  11. Jeff Leslie

A4.63 goes on to say... "must end its MPh in the non-Open Ground Location it Dashed to (unless it becomes berserk, pinned, broken or wounded in the road Location, or otherwise unable to enter the Dashed-to Location, in which case Dash benefits immediately cease)". It's the part about "otherwise...
  12. Jeff Leslie

If a unit declares dash across an unpaved road hex and discovers a Hidden Minefield in the road hex and survives the subsequent attack unscathed, is the Dashing unit compelled to complete the Dash or can it cancel the dash in the minefield hex (thus immediately losing Dash benefits in the road hex)?
  13. Jeff Leslie

Improbable/Critical hits

The type of fire used is also a determining factor as to how a roll of 2 would be handled. Robin's example above is only applicable to Area/Vehicle Target Types or with an LATW using its own TH table. If using the Infantry Target Type, then the second part of C3.7 applies. Note that if using the...
  14. Jeff Leslie

Improbable/Critical hits

An Improbable Hit can only be possible if the modifiers make the final To Hit impossible even by rolling a 2 - in other words you would need to roll a 1 or less to hit, which cannot be done with two dice. If a hit can be achieved by actually rolling a 2 or better, then the rules for Improbable...
  15. Jeff Leslie

Improbable/Critical hits

Assuming that the only possibility of a hit is in fact with an Improbable Hit, then that is what you are rolling for and it is handled per C3.6. If the 2nd subsequent dr (i.e. - a 1) results in a CH, then you handle it as a CH. Any other result is a normal hit.