Recent content by hogdriver

1. H

Soviet/Russian military movies

Until quite recently, how available were Russian movies, books, etc. to Westerners. It seems to me that you feel that my views are invalid until I see what YOU want ME to see. Rather a narrow view on your part.
  2. H

Simply being made in Stalin's time does not automatically make them bad. True, Ivan the Terrible was a propaganda film for Stalin, but Potemkin was made in the 1920s, before Stalin came to power. Also, Eisenstein was given considerable latitude even while making "Ivan", although Stalin did keep...
  3. H

I quite agree that original language with foreign subtitles is better. I saw "Das Boot" in both versions, and the English-dubbed version was pathetic. I want to see movies, both entertainment and documentary, that are made in Russia. I have been studying Russia and USSR since the age of 8, and...
  4. H

Best all time actor War or Combat movies

Audie Murphy. Not just because he really was in combat, but because he was totally believable. He wasn't an angel, but he was very simple, very direct and if he said he would do it, he did it, without fail. Nobody even comes close.
  5. H

The Alamo

I've heard mostly good about it - including the more human (i.e. less heroic) portrayal of the central characters. Plan to rent it sometime soon.
  6. H

Russian war movies I have only seen two Russian war movies, and both were excellent!! Both directed by Sergei Eisenstein: Ivan the Terrible Battleship Potemkin :cool:
  7. H

Farenhait 9/11

Pull your head out of the sand, Andrey :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  8. H

Farenhait 9/11

If you had any knowledge whatsoever of Michael Moore, you would know how marginalized he is, and how the only people that believe anything he says are his fellow extremists. If you paid him enough, I am certain that he would make a film about your glorious "heroes" such as Slobodan Milosevic...
  9. H

Best Racing Movies All Time

The Great Race, closely followed by The Gumabll Rally.
  10. H

Best movie in the WW1 time period.

Only ever saw one - Gallipoli, it was OK.
  11. H

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Yes!!!!! Though I must admit, I liked it so much more when Joel Hodgson was the "Satellite of Love" commander. After he slipped behind-the-scenes, I thought he show went steadily downhill.
  12. H

Need your help

Wow, never thought I'd see a reference to D&D on this site - what great memories! :D
  13. H

Favorite Wargaming Era!

I enjoy both the standard NATO-Warsaw Pact scenarios, and also other regional and irregular type scenarios. A favorite is TOAW2's Romania v Hungary scenario.
  14. H

Cossacks Anthology

I've just purchased it, but haven't even installed yet. I'll post any comments I have as I explore the set.
  15. H

Abandonedware

thanx for the heads-up - I'll be visiting soon.