Recent content by GJK

1. GJK

Female ASL players

Played with my girl this once and wrote an AAR for it. It's basically ASLSK with a "West Side Story" theme wrapped around it. We actually had a few laughs but we've never played it again: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1312523/are-you-cool-dancing-devil-aar So it wasn't the "war theme"...
  2. GJK

What boardgames have you played recently?

We played about 17 turns (out of 60!!) of "Fall Blau" yesterday. Big ass game; lots of fun, simple to learn. What impressed me the most? The expanse of Russia. WTF was Hitler thinking??
  3. GJK

Beautiful downtown Stalingrad...where every building has a skylight added to the ceiling and the vehicular traffic in the streets is virtually non-existent.
  4. GJK

I'm playing in a 5 player game of Compass Games' "Fall Blau" this weekend and am looking forward to it, especially since I've been playing a lot from "Valor of the Guards" lately so definitely in an East Front/Stalingrad type of mood.
  5. GJK

The War by Ken Burns

I thought that it was well done in the typical "Burnesque" manner. The footage was good; stuff that most followers of documentaries have probably seen, with some new stuff that nobody but family members of those involved have ever seen and all intertwined into the stories as told by veterans of...
  6. GJK

Anyone planning on trying the PC version of World in Flames?

Personally, I could care less about the AI (and I know many others are the same way). What I want is a game that enforces the rules but doesn't do anything for you. I know some like the computer to handle "mundane" tasks, but I want a computer game that is just playing the boardgame with a...
  7. GJK

This Terrible Sound AAR

4 maps, 1000's of counters - yikes that will be some project, even if you use straight scans. If you use some standard in your naming of the unit counter images though, you could write a script (or I could write one for you) that would 'populate' your buildfile with all the units. That way you...
  8. GJK

Oh, that's right. I should pay you so that I don't have to stare at those ads every visit on every page.
  9. GJK

Well there I go! Cool bud, thanks!
  10. GJK

I wish that the site would totally do away with avatars - I hate the "accordian effect" that occurs when you open up a thread to read. I'd just block all images but I like the icons that tell you what threads you've read and which have new posts. Nice thing with the Opera browser is that I...
  11. GJK

Yeah, a bit of a difference. THIS is the 3RPC (as seen through DOSBox). Not too bad either for an old DOS game I don't think.
  12. GJK

No, I had started to work on that but dropped it after not gaining any support from AP (no surprise there). That is from the mod that has been done by someone else and has been posted for quite some time, it's really well done: VASSAL- A3R/3R4 (it has both games rolled into one)
  13. GJK

That's not the PC port, and it's A3R, not 3R4 (though you can play that version as well). That's the VASSAL module.
  14. GJK

Real men play A3R on their computers.
  15. GJK

I think that the better question would be "why would you not want to try the PC version?". A true boardgamer may have these points: 1. They prefer the board because they can see the entire board at once. 2. They prefer the human contact, sitting across from their opponent while playing...