Recent content by g_young

1. g_young

Jackson has just posted that Paul Weir has died.

I'm shocked and very sorry to hear this. I never met Paul but respected him for his knowledge and his kindness. Rest in peace Paul.
  2. g_young

Just bought Genesis III and Magach '73.

Oh, and the T-54A stabiliser is only in the vertical plane. I when the twin plane stabiliser was introduced in the T-54b, only Centurion was earlier (I think...) 😐😙
  3. g_young

I suppose it's up to you if you want to put the frontal armour at 20, assuming that the Asl model of counting each factor as 10mm of armour is correct. (the front hull and turret on the real tank is 200mm LOS). Looking at the Korean ASL AP #'s for the 90L, it would make the front more or less...
  4. g_young

The T-54/T-55 Tank.

Hmm, T-54-1 might explain the 6fp, but from what little I've read the Egyptians started receiving the T-54, with the T-54-2 being the earliest model in their inventory, sometime in the early '60s. Like you I'm curious.
  5. g_young

The T-54/T-55 Tank.

Interesting photo. The 6 bow mg was a rigid mount 7.62mm next to the driver, firing through a hole in the glacis. As far as I know the Soviets did away with it when they started T-55 production circa '58.
  6. g_young

The T-54/T-55 Tank.

Apologies; you are right. The front turret of the vanilla T-64 had aluminum infills - had to follow up on this as you'd piqued my interest!
  7. g_young

OK, sounds cool. The T-54b would put you in 1957 at the earliest (small batch runs in the preceding 2yrs for testing new systems etc). What are the armour stats? And is the gun stabilised in horizontal and vertical planes?
  8. g_young

The T-54/T-55 Tank.

Agreed on CH's interpretation of the T54/55 - it's fantasy land stuff. Considering it was designed in the closing stages of WW2 to completely nullify Pak43 8.8cm rounds frontally it's no wonder the western equivalents would have trouble. Just a question here; have you mixed up aluminium with...
  9. g_young

Pros and Cons re: For King and Country

You're welcome! It's a shame that by the look of things it'll be a long time before I get the chance to get back to Scotland!
  10. g_young

Pros and Cons re: For King and Country

I was there on a job in early 2017. Just blown away by how friendly the people were, and how beautiful the city is. Made a predawn start walking to Arthur's Seat one cold morning - what a view! Came down, went for a coffee mid town and was served by an Aussie!! After exchanging some down under...
  11. g_young

The T-54/T-55 Tank.

Hey Bob, where did you get the report mentioning the T-54/55 being excessively vulnerable to the 90mm cannon of the M48? Cheers Gary
  12. g_young

Newb Review of Croix de Guerre

I know and an absolute disgrace. I'm surprised a certain TPP hasn't produced a scenario pack about them. (mega hex map of a prison compound to follow shortly....)
  13. g_young

Well id Well I'd certainly plonk down some hard earned cash if the three of you were to collaborate on a series of articles for DN. Hope the planets align, as they say!
  14. g_young

Thanks for sharing that Carl - very informative of the design process. I found it very interesting and agree with your conclusions - they jibe well with the accounts I've read on the crossing. I think it's innovative as well - how does the system portray senior officers in the field; those...
  15. g_young

The bloody hell!?! And now you're comparing us to Nazi's!?! Charles Hazlitt Upham would want a word with you by the docking shed pronto! :p:rofl:;)