Recent content by FrankJ

1. FrankJ

How could KGP have achieved more?

Von Rundstedt was always a interesting historical person in my book. I got the feeling he had the ability to instill confidence and was also very blunt in his opinions. There was a quote from Patton that I always liked. At a meeting with other allied generals at the beginning of the bulge...
  2. FrankJ

I like the Osprey books. There are also some good books that go even more in depth on these battles. I will sometimes use the Osprey books as a reference because their maps are so good. when you mention reaction time, what comes to mind for me is the deployment of the 101st airborne division...
  3. FrankJ

I know it looks like a highjack of the tread, but there is a common denominator of the bridges over the Meuse and the Arnhem bridge. The original question was how Peiper could have done better, and taking a bridge over the Meuse would qualify, so the examples of Arnhem seem to fit as two very...
  4. FrankJ

So you are saying the The 9th and the 10th SS panzer divisions in the Arnhem area did not have a major impact in the failure of Market Garden?
  5. FrankJ

I have a feeling at this point in the war, some German generals We’re doing more heavy drinking than planning.
  6. FrankJ

I remember reading about that part of the operation. Flying at night, during winter. I got the impression that the German paratrooper did not have their heart in it and for good reason. I also sensed this was not the same paratrooper elites that dropped into Crete.
  7. FrankJ

Thats a good one, haha
  8. FrankJ

One of my all time favorites. They dont make movies like that one anymore. I even remember the scene you are talking about. A little arrogant to think they were after him, haha.
  9. FrankJ

My understanding is the Market Garden plan was based on only light German forces in the Arnhem area, not a SS panzer division. All in all not good intelligence, or as the movie indicates, the intel that was ignored. The plan was doomed from the start because of the unknown German units, and it...
  10. FrankJ

Obviously, no one can determine what would work, and what would not in a historical situation. We only give our opinion based on understanding of military science. We all know that this was not the German army of 1940, but they also had strengths that they did not have in 1940 too. Your opinion...
  11. FrankJ

I think the ultimate failing for KGP was that they were all alone as a unit, with no supporting units on their flanks. There is a great game out called Last Blitzkrieg, which gives a good feel for the overall operational overview of this situation. My guess is that KGP should have outflanked the...
  12. FrankJ

Chapter H ASL pocket book on the way

Okay, thats a good idea. I have to admit, I kind of like the soft cover bound books. I know its not as practical as a spiral bound, but I like the feel of a bound book.
  13. FrankJ

Chapter H ASL pocket book on the way

Any chance we could see a full size pocket type book for the main ASLRB, which would be easier on the eyes?
  14. FrankJ

VoTG CG1, The Central Railway Station

In the victory conditions, the rules say the Germans must control all hexes of building F36 at scenario end, for all CG1 scenarios.
  15. FrankJ

Red October Campaign Game II

I would like to give this one a try as the Russians. I think it would take maxing out all the Russian advantages, coordinated combined arms, and mainly infantry, OBA and fortifications to win as the Russians.