Recent content by DWPetros

1. DWPetros

Look How Far We've Come

Is your comment politically motivated because, like me you can't stand Trump, or do you have factual reason to believe it isn't true? I can't stand Trump, but is a denial of facts a worse thing?
  2. DWPetros

Look How Far We've Come

"The government of the United States would never call the sprawling network of facilities now in use across many states “concentration camps,” of course…. But by Pitzer’s measure, the system at the southern border first set up by the Bill Clinton administration, built on by Barack Obama’s...
  3. DWPetros

Look How Far We've Come

Actually, I had read everything she said and no, I don't accept the right-wing propaganda efforts to bring her down. I also don't accept Chuck Todd or MSNBC's similar criticism of her comments for the same reasons. I'm trying to say that while AOC is technically right by calling them...
  4. DWPetros

Shoot the messenger

Here's an interesting conversation between a couple of well informed watchers: Prof. Michel Chossudovsky and Pepe Escobar. https://www.globalresearch.ca/provocations-in-the-gulf-of-oman-will-john-bolton-get-his-war-on-iran/5680716 What is the saying - 'all wars are bankers wars'. Could be.
  5. DWPetros

Look How Far We've Come

Ouch. Technically, AOC is right - those are concentration camps. But because most folks don't know the difference between a concentration camp and an extermination camp, it was probably a poor choice of words. I like her a lot, but she needs to be a bit more careful.
  6. DWPetros

Trump - the dangerous assault on truth

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/06/donald-trumps-sinister-assault-truth/591925/ Very good article on where we are in the age of Trump. How important his position is and how important the comments from the President of the United States is, regardless of who's in office. I...
  7. DWPetros

The populists' choice

I think Warren will begin to outpace the others. She's smart, has clear-headed ideas and policies and knows how to explain them. She's immediately right of Bernie, and Bernie represents the outside leftward line - a good place for progressive minded voters. A woman, not too old, and much...
  8. DWPetros

Shoot the messenger

Given who's in the WH, anything goes. Trump appears to have surrendered authority to Bolton and Pompeo. That's dangerous and stupid, and we're all guessing what's next with these 3 miscreants. Congress will not stop them - they know that. Historical context and reason - out the window at...
  9. DWPetros

The populists' choice

Obama's legacy isn't nearly as great as imagined. Looking out for the middle / lower classes more than the GOP is setting the bar extremely low. More than the minor adjustments that he made, it's what he didn't do in critical times as President that will define him. And while that sounds...
  10. DWPetros

The populists' choice

I think you're cynical, and so am I, but too much of that seems wrong-headed. I try to remind myself.. What I mean by serving the people - it's to say that such is meant in the Constitution - that the serving the welfare of 'the people', regardless of their financial or political influence...
  11. DWPetros

Shoot the messenger

Hard to imagine that we'd actually go to war with Iran, but also hard to imagine that we have enough intelligence to not go to war with Iran. Confusing! Too many underlying themes here that drive this; neocon warmongering, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Russia, China, Oil, the US Dollar... god only...
  12. DWPetros

The populists' choice

Apparently, Wall Street has their favorites as well: Pete Buttigieg, Joe Biden, and Kamala Harris. The big money guys are backing all of them and pointedly not backing Sanders and Warren. How come? https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/16/us/politics/2020-democratic-donors-wall-street.html...
  13. DWPetros

Foundations of the religious right in the USA

The GOP had no interest in the matter of abortion - until they needed to pull in the Fundies and Catholics in the 70's to buttress their base of voters as people moved away from that party. Prior to then they were 'shrug' on abortion as the OP article mentions. While personally not in favor...
  14. DWPetros

The populists' choice

Could be so. But I hope not. She talks the talk, but I wonder if she'll walk the talk. Or perhaps I should say, she says she'll do one thing but may not do what she says she'll do. I think she may end up like many other Dems - beholding to corporate interests and not to the interests of the...
  15. DWPetros

The populists' choice

Another take, by Matt Taibbi, on the Dem horse race, Warren, Sanders.. pretty good. https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/06/14/elizabeth-warrens-rise-plus-issue-politics-and-bad-sign-billionaires