Recent content by DonWPetros

1. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Not referring to a HASL map, or to a CH somethingorother- but a potential MMP thing for them to consider. 2 new 'Huertgen' geoboards & OLs, along with some focused scenarios using both new and existing boards / OLs. Just need some good scenario designers... (I can do the maps)
  2. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Interesting idea - 'limited cover'. While you can always stack 3 squads per hex regardless of TEM, how protective that terrain is may be something to limit via SSR. OR, as you say, simply make it Light Woods. Of the two, the second idea is simplest, and due to that I'd go with your...
  3. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

The use of Orchards wouldn't extend to their lack of -1 TEM as with Woods. An SSR would be something like this: 'All Orchard hexes should be treated like Woods in all respects. The Green terrain outlines in Orchard hexes are treated like Woods terrain outlines'. Simple.
  4. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Yea, could use that SSR for the existing Woods boards I guess. But I'd like to see a sort of 'hide and seek' or maybe better 'sneak-shot hell' LOS using actual green terrain images. Looking at Huertgen photos, it looks like you could sometimes see for great distance (ie. down an Orchard row)...
  5. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Sure! Would prefer covering more ground with standard boards, but I'm up for it if you are, Pete :)
  6. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Yep. Preparing some boards or OLs to both represent Huertgen, but also be versatile enough to use for PTO, might work. Take a look at Board 73. SSR: Orchards are Woods (implying that the green blotches are Woods LOS obstacles). OLs to cover the Grain. More OLs to be more representative...
  7. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

I'm up for doing the boards, but will likely hold for now and wait some qualified scenario guys join in... I've found that collaboration is best here.
  8. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

The Huertgen terrain is unique I think, based on what I've read. 'Managed forest' - with often much space in between Woods. Lots of irregularity. Dense, but not exactly like our boards 5 and 52 where there's no LOS at all between obstacles. Unique terrain - combined with standard geoboards.
  9. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Thanks for the plug, Vic. But what I'm more interested in is to do some geoboards/OLs with a Huertgen theme which would allow designers (such as yourself) to prepare a variety of Huertgen related scenarios. I think a starting place could be to piggyback on existing boards (ie. 73), as well as...
  10. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Evan, thanks. I'd like to respond in detail asap. Cannot right now. Good commentary. For now - yes, there are a lot of miscellaneous Huertgen actions that could lend themselves. Yes, the geoboards and OLs should be both specific and also allow for versatility. Both 'objective' (hill...
  11. DonWPetros

Huertgen Forest

Wondering if there's interest in a Huertgen Forest thing? Imagining 1-2 geoboards, maybe some Overlays. Were there enough actions to justify something here??
  12. DonWPetros

East Front - maps, overlays, scenarios

I'm going with: (new) ‘Cornfields’ – all Grain on board 90 is considered Cornfield terrain. Cornfields are considered Grain (B15) in all respects, but incur a +2 (not +1) LOS Hindrance per hex. Fire Lanes traced through more than one (1) cornfield hex are treated as per E.1.71. Kindling of...
  13. DonWPetros

I can't help but to remember working in cornfields in Illinois as a kid. No visibility whatsoever into those fields from only yards away. I'm leaning more towards bocage than kunai here, though I appreciate the comparisons. I think concealment can be gained.
  14. DonWPetros

Didn't mean to turn this thread into a sidetrack Cornfield conversation.. Really had intended to discuss whether there's interest in East Front scenarios, etc.. (sigh)
  15. DonWPetros

Would like to see it!