Recent content by DaveH

1. DaveH

Looking for Live VASL Game

Spring Break is upon me and for the first time in awhile, I will be without kid. To console myself, I thought a game or two of ASL might work. Looking for a live VASL game or two over the next week. I am Pacific Time (GMT -8 until Sunday; then it will be GMT-7). I prefer IFT and using Skype. I...
  2. DaveH

Ersatz VASLeague 2020

David Haasl defeated David Rosner in the battle of the US/CAN West David supremacy. We played WO32 Corps Values. I took the outmatched but stubborn NorKs and David R took the USMC. Great scenario with a lot of decisions to make as you proceed. The USMC with their uber squads backed by 4...
  3. DaveH

Shelter in Place Live VASL?

Looking to see if anyone is interested in a live VASL/Skype game this weekend. Saturday or Sunday fine (3/21 or 3/22). Something to distract from the chore of unexpectedly having to convert my classes to online with little lead time. I am in California if time zones are an issue. Cheers, David
  4. DaveH

VASLeague 2019 General Discussion

In the fourth round of the US/CAN West division, David Haasl's Germans defeated Robert Zinselmeyer's Americans in HF1 Black Day in Hatten. It was a close fought battle with my edge in dice luck in the early going that gave my Germans the edge. Robert is an awesome opponent and I would gladly...
  5. DaveH

In the West/Central Division, David Haasl's Soviets defeated Steffen Knippel's Teutonic Hordes in AP131 "Crickets in Spring". Steffen was unable to get more than a foothold in the town before conceding. While the Soviets didn't have terribly hot dice, they had terribly fortuitous dice - getting...
  6. DaveH

In the battle of the Davids, My (David Haasl) Italians held of David Rosners Canadians in BoF8 Sting of the Italian Hornet. It was a great game vs. a great opponent. I had great luck with my AT assets (and that 90mm...wow!) and deprived of reliable armor support, David's very much superior...
  7. DaveH

VASLeague 2018, general discussion

David Haasl's Japanese held off Stewart King's Americans in WO16 Wildcat Strike. It went down to the final turn when a tank hunter hero managed to cap the M8 SPG to put the Americans over the cap. This was one of those fun crazy scenarios where the dice throw your carefully constructed plan out...
  8. DaveH

Looking for a Live VASL Game

Once again, I unexpectedly find myself with an open weekend. Anyone interested in a live VASL game (with skype preferably) Saturday (11/18) or Sunday (11/19)? I am in the Pacific Time Zone (West Coast of US) if that matters. I'm open for almost anything - I have a nearly complete collection of...
  9. DaveH

VASLeague 2017, general discussion

Dave Haasl's Germans managed to hold off John Lehman's Poles for the win in FrF45 Totensonntag. John almost derailed my fighting withdrawal plans during Turn 2, but I somehow managed to "right-the-ship". I think both sides played a reasonably tight game but the luck tilted in my favor. John was...
  10. DaveH

Dave Haasl's plucky Slovaks were victorious over Doyle Motes' stubborn German defenders in J191 (Rebels Without a Pause). It was a tight game that came down to the final rout phase. Good job Pete Shelling on the design - it was a very entertaining situation. And thank you, Doyle, for being an...
  11. DaveH

Thanks for the advice! - I found what looks to be Doyle on Skype and have messaged him. We still have plenty time to get our game in - so no worries. David
  12. DaveH

Does anyone have updated contact information for Doyle Motes? He is my next VASLeague opponent and I can't seem to raise him. Which makes me suspect that my contact info is dated or my e-mails have been shunted off into a spam folder (as they probably should).
  13. DaveH

J183 A Real Barn Burner Question

That does seem relevant. And now I feel foolish for not running across that little rule earlier! :) Well - at least we played it correctly. Thanks, Clubby David
  14. DaveH

J183 A Real Barn Burner Question

This came up during a recent game with Robert Zinselmeyer. SSR#3 makes all units of Lt. Gehin's platoon fanatic (these are the ones who set up in the Bd 43 compound). During play, one of my French halfsquads from Lt. Gehin's platoon generated a 8-0 leader through leader creation (snakes during...
  15. DaveH

Robert Zinselmeyer and I have just finished our playing of J183 - A Real Barn Burner. I had the audacious French and Robert took the Germans. The scenario lived up to its name and involved lots of attempted crossings of open ground under fire. Despite Robert's best efforts my French got a 3rd...