Recent content by CTKnudsen

1. CTKnudsen

Is a hex adjacent to itself?

I think it fairly clear that the Q&A answer may have been an economy - rules that should read "ADJACENT or same-Location" don't require a perhaps considerable amount of errata to be generated, but some niggling shortcomings in the rules are cleared up. I agree that this creates not only a bit...
  2. CTKnudsen

Shrubbery Rules Anyone?

B23.212 SHRUBBERIES: Shrubberies are small decorative gardens. Any building hex containing a herring symbol (🐟) along one or more hexsides is considered to also have an attached shrubbery along the hexside(s) containing the symbol. Movement across/along this hexside by infantry costs one...
  3. CTKnudsen

Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

Immobilized M10 has a Panther come around the corner at 2 hexes, spins the turret, misses the APCR roll. Crap. OK, I'll take an AP shot at +2, If I hit the turret the TK will be 4, hope for rate, and then go for a DI on the 2nd shot. TH roll? Snakes. Panther burns, M10 survives until next...
  4. CTKnudsen

Red Factories miscellaneous stuff

It's a game that uses design for effect, folks. If you know your opponent has a 9-2 or 10-3 and the ability to form a death star, deal with it! Don't fight from where that stack can see! Use the tools in your toolbox to smoke it in, or OBA it, or shoot it with a tank that is invulnerable to...
  5. CTKnudsen

Modern Personal Armor

At one point I tinkered with a ruleset intended to generate ASL scenarios that could be played in order to resolve engagements from an operational level computer game. Forces would be moved around in the computer game, bump into each other, and you could resolve the battle in ASL. Sort of a...
  6. CTKnudsen

Modern Personal Armor

I wouldn't change it at all. The IFT is more a reflection of morale effects than straight up lethality. Kevlar or no, troops still go to ground under fire, moreso if they are poorly trained, inexperienced, etc. And kevlar, combined with modern battlefield medicine, has transformed the ratio...
  7. CTKnudsen

"Open ground" while broken

Thanks guys! I wondered why broken units were not mentioned in the first bit of A10.5, and I realize now that it is because they have no normal range! And I did forget that units on upper levels don't automatically disregard walls/hedges, per B9.33...
  8. CTKnudsen

"Open ground" while broken

A unit is in an open ground hex, but the only enemy units that can draw an LOS to it must do so through a wall/hedge hexside. Is the broken unit considered in an "open ground hex" per the first sentence of A10.5? If the answer is yes, would the fact that all of the enemy units were broken make...
  9. CTKnudsen

WP and Firing ATT at nothing in LOS

We solved our own question. The answer is contained in C6.2, which states that mortar SMOKE fired at a hex containing a unit not known to the firer/spotter must get a hit on the hex with the ATT, but applies the Case K penalty while trying to do so. Man, this rulebook needs better...
  10. CTKnudsen

WP and Firing ATT at nothing in LOS

Firing MTR WP at a hex that is empty to the firer using ATT (obviously). In the hex is an entrenched unit which is behind a hedge, out of LOS to the firer. If firing HE, the unit would not be attacked per C3.33, but A24.31 seems to indicate that any unit in the targeted Location must take an...
  11. CTKnudsen

Rout Destination

Even if it is not possible to reach that destination in 4MF without routing through hexes ADAJCENT to a KEU? What if the actual legal rout path to that hex is 7MF? What we are wondering about here is whether that closest destination in MF is counted considering legal rout paths or not. What...
  12. CTKnudsen

Rout Destination

Good to see I am not the only one weighing a Q&A here, although I don't like pressing that button if it becomes clear I'm going against a commonly held community belief. I think the question really boils down to what happens first when choosing destination. Do you count straight MF "unless...
  13. CTKnudsen

Rout Destination

This is the aide memoire that I used when I started: 1, Do I have to rout (Open ground in normal range of armed KEU, Adjacent to armed KEU – note that broken does = armed) 2. Where? Bldg or woods (pillbox) closest in MF. 3. Can I make it to the destination in one turn? 4. Rule out ones...
  14. CTKnudsen

Rout Destination

I just went through it, and I'm sure someone will be along presently to correct me, but I didn't see anything that clearly illustrated a situation in which a destination was chosen that clearly showed MF being counted through Locations adjacent to a KEU.
  15. CTKnudsen

Rout Destination

Funny, I never thought of using the "no further than" rationale for K4/N5 - I would reject these based more on the "can't end/move ADJACENT" rule, but I think applying "no further than" might be a more discerning application of the rules, at least as regards determining rout destination. Key...