Recent content by Crimguy

1. C

Couple of newbie questions . . .

That's what I wanted to know, thx!
  2. C

toaw is no1 on pc, agreed?

It took me a while to really get going in the Tiller games (and about 2 weeks of reading and re-reading the manual). And it was only at about turn 30 of my first full campaign (in Sicily '43 IIRC) that I really started employing the system to it's fullest. I didn't realize until that point the...
  3. C

toaw is no1 on pc, agreed?

I'm a big fan of the Panzer Campaign series. As Glenn says, it is truly an education, and I learned quite a bit about Operation Husky (Sicily) and Kursk from that series. Not necessarily better though . . . just possible more accurate. Definitely well researched. But PzC is a moose of a...
  4. C

What is your biggest (gaming) weakness ?

I'm not much for micromanagement. Micromanagement in PBEM is a good thing. Your weakness sounds like one of those things people say in job interviews: "Well, my biggest fault is that I'm a workaholic, and can't seem to stop billing my clients 10 hours every day." :laugh:
  5. C

Thanks for the response. PBEM is always a bit more interesting. I remember my first pbem in a hex game (Operation Crusader) - my opponent just flooded me from an unanticipated direction and IIRC I stopped playing after about 10 turns (not very sporting I know). AI opponents are usually a bit...
  6. C

The Air Assistant option is not mentioned in the manual for ACoW. I assume it allows the ai to take control of air units? I just finished a game of the Fulda '76 scenario, and noticed it didn't do a very good job of getting air superiority ;-D Also, in the Fulda '76 scen, I was playing the...
  7. C

TOAR Install trouble 98SE or XP

What exactly is the problem? IE what's happening/not happening?
  8. C

Airborne Assault: Highway to the Reich

Terrific game. I'm a big fan, and have found myself playing HTTR more than any other wargame currently on my computer. That is, until Steelbeasts II comes out
  9. C

Helicopter altitude

I think there should simply be a "popup" command, and let the AI do the sighting from there . . .
  10. C

How do you feel POA2 stacks up against other modern wargames?

Because TacOps, as I mentioned earlier, was specifically designed on the assumption that both your troops and the enemy will carry out their orders as you drew them up. A commander can't make a plan with the assumption that troops will turn tail, but will stay and fight. It is a simulation...
  11. C

How do you feel POA2 stacks up against other modern wargames?

Morale was not a design consideration for Major H. IIRC he felt it morale was more of a long-term effect, and the time frame of the engagements (240 minutes was a long one) didn't require it. While I disagree somewhat with this, TacOps then becomes a purely tactical simulation. You can...
  12. C

How much is too much?

Rob: All I can say in defense of HPS is that they usually put out a stable product. However, that's partially because 90% of their titles are just rehashes of the Tiller game system.
  13. C

Help with Weapon Information

Try this link: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Maser.html I think it fries your innards a bit, or in the very least makes you incredibly ill. Not a complete answer, but I think it's a start ;-D. For all your questions, I recommend google (www.google.com).
  14. C

How much is too much?

Will the system allow Kammik's plan? It might be a significant amount of recoding to allow units to load onto vehicles if they also are in fact vehicles in the technical sense . . . Then again, A UH60 should be able to shlep HMMMV, so why not?
  15. C

How much is too much?

Kammik: So if I understand you correctly, the following is a possibility?: You order a platoon to hex 13,5, some 20 hexes away. 3 turns later, your platoon is presumably enroute to 13,5, when a couple of hexes away an anti-tank team is spotted - for this example it is spotted by what...