Recent content by Candice

1. C

Caprica

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who loved BSG's taking on religion. I just wish they didn't make the One God the only legitimate one by the end. The Colonists' gods need to have some power beyond some drugged-out hippies giving out prophecies. If anything, BSG became far more of a soap...
  2. C

Caprica

Yes, they totally made it up as they went along. It does show. When it worked, it was great. The characters gave it a fidelity that compensated for weakness in plotting. Often, however, the show did grope blindly for plot points. It could have used a Babylon 5 level of planning to give it a...
  3. C

Caprica

It's hard to say exactly why I loved BSG... I suppose it was partly the post-911 mindset. I don't think I can do full justice to convince anyone who doesn't want to like BSG to change their minds. It's like Firefly; you either like it or you don't. Some ideas on why I like BSG: The...
  4. C

Caprica

I still won't watch the last 15 mins. It's hard to even watch the first season knowing it will all be pissed away at the end. But enough about the failings of BSG. Let's talk about the successes of Caprica. It is heavy on sci-fi. The colonies are independent worlds which very different customs...
  5. C

Caprica

Anyone watching the spin-off series? IMO it is as good as BSG, and better in some ways. It doesn't feel rushed not does it reek of filler episodes. The story is character-driven and takes its time to develop. Not really a prequel, Caprica so far is more of a traditional sci-fi story which uses...
  6. C

New Conan movie now filming in Bulgaria

Jason Momoa looks like a Klingon. The thing that made Conan the Barbarian a great movie was the script. I highly doubt someone with the abilities of Oliver Stone or John Milius will be attached to the project. The music also raised the movie above its pulp pedigree. Basilodouros' finest...
  7. C

New Conan movie now filming in Bulgaria

I hope it doesn't suck. I know it will, and suck hard but I still hope.
  8. C

Final Battlestar Galactica tonight!

I think that because there is no evidence left behind that the BSG people ever existed except for "mitichondrial Eve" i.e. Hera. This was 150,000 years ago by the voice-over. Humans weren't all over the world that long ago. That's the reason the find of Hera in Tanzania was written that way...
  9. C

Agreed that Alien^3 sucked ass in killing Hicks and Newt. It was an all-around cluster-frak for all concerned and we must not speak of it again. Haven't seen the end of The Prisoner, and DS9 and Voyager weren't the end of the line for their universe or characters. They were an end to a chapter...
  10. C

Just because I am not a professional writer doesn't mean I don't know a poor ending when I see one. I certainly know when an ending doesn't please me. The argument "you haven't done X yourself, so you have no authority to criticise X" doesn't hold water because I am the audience for the thing I...
  11. C

I loved BSG up until the last ~10 minutes. Right when Lee Adama says they need to go back to nature. That was the most WTF, total betrayal of the characters and the fans I could imagine. It was the writers' ham-fisted desires riding roughshod over being faithful to the characters. It was so...