Recent content by Bryan Holtby

1. B

Merry Christmas One and All

Merry Christmas to all.
  2. B

HOB SS Combo Pack - Good, Bad?

The original 'black ss counters' kerfuffle? If nothing else, it was entertaining to follow :)
  3. B

Max map size?

Is there a maximum size in hexes that VASSAL will support? Im editing an existing module and the map is just open water, but it needs to be large to allow for movement over many turns.
  4. B

VotG to RO

I have a few aerials of stalingrad dl'd from http://www.wwii-photos-maps.com/ but the site itself looks to be abandoned. The only pics I have which show the missing section of the RB map is small and of poor quality when zoomed in. Ive emailed the owner in the past but have not received any...
  5. B

VotG to RO

Do you have the DTW section in a file alone? I tried having a map elf convert the CH DTW map to VASL but the hex grids on the original map are are unworkable. I started making a VASL map, got a good photo onto a hex grid of the right scale and started hand drawing buildings....but its a LONG...
  6. B

Red Barricades & Recon (11.622)

For me, its not about if its worth the cost or not, its about if it will kill or indirectly cause to be killed, an equivalent # of CPP's of the enemies troops. Recon expenditure is a way to save your troops during an advance, so their may be some merit to the cost but generally I would rather...
  7. B

Best maps in ASL

RB is and will always be my favourite....even if it is incorrect lol. VotG took city boards to a new level with roofless buildings. To those that create and those who VASLize these maps, I cannot thank you enough.
  8. B

Ortona...

Is this module project terminated? I havent heard anything in a few years.
  9. B

Best Vehicle Names

While not vehicles, when playing CG's allowing 2 snipers I often name my Snipers Bob and Doug, the McKenzie brothers from SCTV played by Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas. I never have much luck with snipers, perhaps I should pick better names.
  10. B

RBIII HIP on day1

Personally, I max out on infantry first, always 2 coys... a rifle coy in res and the scripts up front as speed bumps to preserve your good troops, occasionally I'll go for dug in KV's but you have to know they are Stuka bait on day 2 should they survive day 1. Toys are nice but CG, RB...
  11. B

should a HASL allow ahistorical actions in a CG?

If it was possible, it should be allowed. In a RB CG, one could use an armoured blitz and grab the Commissars house on day 1 (holding it on day 2 is a different story). This goes against history but it adds an almost operational lvl tactics to the game. To me, this is the attraction of a CG, the...
  12. B

VASL map layout and design question

The links are all dead, white page with "NO REDIRECT"
  13. B

VASL map layout and design question

Im embarking on a long trip of sorts, morphing a photo onto a vasl hex grid and then doing the artwork all while using GIMP. Honestly, its not for the faint of heart but so far so good! Photo found, layered with a hex grid and somewhat lined up. Q1. As I understand it, in order for VASL program...
  14. B

Dearest map elves....question for you

Thanks. I just bought the module online so it'll likely be a couple weeks before it arrives.
  15. B

Dearest map elves....question for you

If I had the DTW map scanned... At this point Im uncertain if I can get it scanned locally but Im hopeful a) could someone VASL it to replace the VASL 3.0 era version we currently see? b) if someone is willing to do this, what file format is best for ya'll to work with? I dont need all the...