Recent content by bprobst

1. bprobst

New Desperation Morale Blog Post: ASL Gear and the Systainer System: An Introduction

Shouldn't there be a "win lottery and become independently wealthy" step in there somewhere? Because I'm not sure how any of this is possible otherwise. Next up: "solve the counter-splitting problem by replacing all of that cardboard with engraved titanium".
  2. bprobst

A.P. Fourteen.

I guess we can extrapolate the chapter B rules on stream-orchards to gully-orchards easily enough. It's a very strange "sleepy village" IMO. The road network and the general layout is fine. But why is the village equipped with so many tall buildings, not to mention several big-arse...
  3. bprobst

A.P. Fourteen.

The only problem with that theory is that new players have a lot of trouble getting hold of all those older boards. A constant stream of new boards at least gives them a fighting chance of being able to play new scenarios.
  4. bprobst

Tourney Scenario Picks

"Two Pounds in Return" is one to avoid. If the CW player chooses tactic "A" he will lose, and if he chooses tactic "B" he will probably win. Either choice will lead to a very dull and predictable game. "Operation sur la Gudbransdal" didn't appeal to me much, but I can't recall the specifics...
  5. bprobst

RO4 Martinoffen

I'm part-way through playing it. I don't know why you'd want to give the Germans the balance ... and I am not sure that "ton of fun" is a very good description. Russian options appear to be quite limited. I've no doubt that they can win (even in the face of all of those Germans they can put...
  6. bprobst

Today in ASL I ... (Day to day ASL doings)

The numerous reports of them breaking after a short period of use suggests to me that it is not. The non-Deluxe version, which is made of steel and not plastic, has served me well for several years now and has never even looked like it might break. I'm fairly sure that I can't break it merely...
  7. bprobst

The Irrigation Ditch Poll

Where? You seem to have posted a picture of a perfectly ordinary flat, straight road.
  8. bprobst

ASL swamp is PTO-only terrain, and is a 1-level LOS obstacle. ASL marsh can be found anywhere, and is a 0.5-level LOS hindrance (sort of, usually, not always well-defined). The terrain in the photo is pretty clearly neither of those. It might be "marsh that is not a hindrance", but that...
  9. bprobst

More "real" SMC names please

It would be a sad day if shitting on the SS (whether as an organisation or individual members of that organisation) would be classed as "a political discussion".
  10. bprobst

I don't even want them on HASL maps. They're not quite as irritating or stupid as barbed wire fences, but they're close.
  11. bprobst

More "real" SMC names please

Better still would be to get the names right. Field Marshal Paulus' name was Paulus. "von Paulus" is a fictional dude. How on earth did that get through all of VotG's lengthy development? (Granted that MMP were not the first, and probably won't be the last, to make the same stupid research...
  12. bprobst

Auto updates

Oh, well, I guess my 20+ years of supporting Windows desktops, including numerous first-hand observations of seeing the actual effect of bloated user profiles, doesn't count for anything. Never mind me, shove everything into your user profile if you want to! I won't be the one waiting 20...
  13. bprobst

Auto updates

Yes. What has that got to do with anything I posted? Perhaps you might care to do some research on "user profiles" in Windows. Unrestricted bloating of an individual user's profile in Windows (any version since Windows NT) leads to a general slowdown of Windows, in particular a slow down in...
  14. bprobst

Auto updates

No, it isn't, per my post above. Windows puts an unbelievable amount of crap into your c:\users folder without you asking it to; don't compound the problem by voluntarily putting stuff there as well.
  15. bprobst

Auto updates

There certainly should be no permissions issues with putting VASL in your "Users" folder, but it's a horrible mistake regardless. MS, in it's infinite wisdom, makes the "users" folder (i.e., "your profile") the default location for just about everything (and many other software vendors follow...