Recent content by ASLSARGE

1. ASLSARGE

Pacific CGs without USMC

At BFP we are working on a mini-HASL depicting the fighting in and around the sports complex just south of Manila in 1945. Map is about 24" x 24" with (IIRC) 7 scenarios and one full CG. Pits U.S. 1st Cavalry Division against Japanese 2nd Naval Battalion.
  2. ASLSARGE

Good Pre-Reading for "Sword and Fire: Manila?"

The US Army "green books"...specifically "Triumph in the Philippines" gives a very nice overview of the entire battle. Other good sources are "Retaking the Philippines" by William Breuer and "The Battle of Manila".....but the author's name escapes me at the moment....Connaughton IIRC.
  3. ASLSARGE

It has been out of print for about 20 years......not surprised at the price for the paperback version. I got mine back in 1999 for $15 IIRC. The publisher is in the Philippines. I contacted them several years ago and inquired about a reprint.....they were not interested at that time. There are...
  4. ASLSARGE

I think my bibliography for this module has lik 30 to 40 sources listed. Should provide all the background reading anyone could want.
  5. ASLSARGE

Excellent book....too bad it is out of print.
  6. ASLSARGE

What Makes A Good AAR?

I like to use a simple AAR for all of BFP's scenz that my group play tests. If more details are needed I can just ask the people who played it. Our "form" lists the scenario title (and version if needed), which side won, who played which sides, CVP / VP / EVP / Buildings / etc controlled. Then I...
  7. ASLSARGE

Second golden age of war gaming.

Yes there are. I had a model of a US halftrack w/quad 50 cal gun mount in back, that when pulled from storage several years ago had all four barrels broken off. Tried gluing old ones back on....no luck. Tried fabricating new guns but not skilled enough. Bought some brass rods, drilled into old...
  8. ASLSARGE

Where To Print Maps (PDF)

FedEx Office does a fantastic job, IF you can get the right person doing them. Used one of their shops to print out the newest playtest version of the Manila maps about two years ago. The woman behind the counter obviously did not listen when I told her the images were not all the same size (now...
  9. ASLSARGE

Manila on Preorder

Small update....I do know that Perry and company are currently working on the counter sheets, so that's good. Tom is doing final detailing on the print map. No word yet on what is next to be addressed.....perhaps the scenario layouts?
  10. ASLSARGE

Manila on Preorder

If you think fighting the Japanese in jungle and caves is tough, wait til you try to dig them out of fortified buildings and cellars while they shoot at you from upper building levels and even rooftops.....and THH's popping up from adjacent locations is a very common occurrence, so watch your...
  11. ASLSARGE

I think I did Too Good a Job

I'm sure he will get a chance in the near future......
  12. ASLSARGE

Since you asked.....We've played several different games over the years, He is mainly into video games, but enjoys several board/card games too. Even when he was very young (4 or 5) he would push his little toy cars around on the roads on my map boards. He has seen me and my buddies playing in...
  13. ASLSARGE

My youngest son (14) decided this week he wants to learn ASL. Okay. So after going over the infantry basics we played "Gavin Take". Whenever a situation came up where he had to make a choice on actions, I presented him with the available options and let him choose what to do. He beat me in his...
  14. ASLSARGE

Manila on Preorder

You could use it to attack an AFV in CC, but why would the Japanese MMC not first try to create a DC hero while the US AFV was moving before it entered his hex? If he declares a CC DC attack in his hex he is automatically eliminated.....something to consider.