Recent content by Aries

1. Aries

Sci-fi films are as dead as Westerns, says Ridley Scott

Alas, scifi is just one of several genres, doomed by the glut of "action" delivered by "special" effects, that are created by machines, not actors. The audience is increasingly lurred by no thinking required entertainment, and the moment anything remotely like thought is required in a film...
  2. Aries

Sci-fi films are as dead as Westerns, says Ridley Scott

"The Matrix, Independence Day and The War of the Worlds" Well the Matrix was tainted by being lumped in with the other two, which while fun, were poorly thought out clumsy efforts at best. Independence Day was a action movie, hardly rates being called scifi. Maybe he has a point when he...
  3. Aries

Boardgame revival for the Wii

The PS3 is a gaming console, makes me wonder if Sony simply forgot that. It's like my PC is an applications tool not a console. It's nice that a PS3 CAN do other things, but, if you bought it as a console, chances are you don't care if it plays Blueray, you want friggin games. I know I...
  4. Aries

Where are the good sci-fi movies?

"Being a writer is no different than being any other type of artist. You can have the greatest set of paints and brushes in the world and still be a failure. The same is true with writing. There are sci-fi authors out there (Michael Crichton comes to mind) that come up with some very clever and...
  5. Aries

Boardgame revival for the Wii

Interesting. I am still waiting for the PS3 to stop being about "oh it's a great machine, it can do so many other things" and start being a machine with a lot of cool new games. Must really suck owning a PS3 if you only got it for the games.
  6. Aries

"The details are lost to me, but at one of the bigger sci-fi writers conventions in the '80s, one of the more influential editors took to task his audience of sci-fi writers. He pointed to the "Golden Age" crowd and applauded their sense of adventure, but chastised them for making every novel...
  7. Aries

The reason I love Dune (and all the books written for the series) has been the world has soooooo many elements of the real world woven in, that you can get lost in them thinking they can be real. Suspension of disbelief is everything for me.
  8. Aries

Puts hand up ... I prefer hard science scifi actually. I hate Buck Rogers.
  9. Aries

Larry Niven is a master author. Ringworld and Man Kzin wars are among my favs. Jerry Pournelle I know mainly from There Will Be War series he editted. Man it would be soooo cool to watch a decent adaption of David Drake's Hammer's Slammers. No Star Wars nice nice, just planet busting name...
  10. Aries

What Movie Did This line Come From Trivia

Cross of Iron
  11. Aries

Mine was a trick test hehe, I would have heaped major scorn on you guys not knowing a classic quote from a famous war movie hehe. That Aliens 2 quote is a personal fav of a friend of mine hehe. He just loves that guys comment. I wonder if I should get cruel and start collecting quotes from...
  12. Aries

"don't just stand there blathering, this isn't hyde park square, the war's over there".
  13. Aries

Dang JD got there ahead of me.
  14. Aries

Got me stumped on that one Don.
  15. Aries

Wrestler, Rowdy Roddy Pipper from the film They Live And you need more obscure material if you are going to challenge a forum of 40 somethings :)