Recent content by Andrew Rogers

1. Andrew Rogers

ASL Journal #14 "Sparrow force" CG balance

Will, I would recommend playing the mini-CG straight-up. That said, if there is some unfamiliarity in playing the Japanese, then you might consider applying the bonus (also, the Australian are a little easier to play in this).
  2. Andrew Rogers

No 'nerfing' or 'smurfing' the Japanese intended ... Elements of the historical justifications (or back-story) to these SSRs (I count just three) are covered in Journal 14 (pp31-32). If someone has better historical reference material, please send it to be via a message. By way of observation...
  3. Andrew Rogers

Fair comments PJ ... Two reasons for this SSR and the thinking is not a 'slam dunk' but somewhat a personal preference. Firstly, the limited information on the carrier use in Timor indicated they fought as a separate unit providing overwatch. They did not peel-off their weaponry and hand it to...
  4. Andrew Rogers

Good comments Mr VonHutier. It might be not surprising that us Aussies have designed something a little pro-Aussie. It appears to be leaning that way. I find it tough to playtest scenarios involving Japanese in light terrain that does not involve static positions (ie. pillboxes, caves). That...
  5. Andrew Rogers

J227 - Another Frustrating Day

Close game. Great write up. Thanks!
  6. Andrew Rogers

CANCON 2024 - After Action Report from Down Under

(Australian Tournament update) Thank you to the approximately 25 participants of CANCON 2024, the official Australian ASL tournament run in late January on the long weekend covering the Australia Day holiday. This is the 30th time the tournament has been run in Canberra, the capital of Australia...
  7. Andrew Rogers

J223 "Latecomers", go home !

Tuomo, this is an interesting design question. Firstly, I am not a fan of exit VP scenarios (the whole 'end-of-the-world' concept of a board edge is weird [to quote the Magic Man from Talladega Nights ... 'now-you-see-me!' 'now-you-don't!']). However, if forced to play an exit scenario, I don't...
  8. Andrew Rogers

J223 "Latecomers", go home !

Yes, you are correct in thinking that the vehicles entering a road hexside are exempt. Thank you for the break down of the origins of the scenario; it was designed by an Australian, Paul Seage, back in the day and the current version was playtested and tweaked at a more recent Australian ASL...
  9. Andrew Rogers

So what scenarios have you played Recently?

Mr Houlie, an accurate comment from Mr Wasserman. When I designed this scenario, I channelled my "inner-Schwerpunkty-ness" ...
  10. Andrew Rogers

How to design/create custom maps (not create VASL maps)

Hi. I can't claim credit for the 'winterization', the 'plowed fields', nor the OOS orchards. I believe the artwork credit should be directed to Charlie Kibler and decision to utilise those three elements to the folks at MMP. Andy
  11. Andrew Rogers

Which are the AFV heavy CGs?

I agree with that assessment. Additionally, when the German panzers attempted on the morning of the first day to move into the village itself they were met by an angry near-sighted American cook, (then) Private Vito Bertoldo, who won a Medal of Honor for his effort in slowing down the armored...
  12. Andrew Rogers

Which are the AFV heavy CGs?

Appreciate the kind words on Hatten. In terms of 'similiar' sized CGs, the Aussie crew released Sparrow Force. Further, we have developed an Eastern Front mid-war CG on a HASL map the same size as Hatten that will be finalised in a 2-3 months (possibly with a 'winterized' board). Rittershoffen...
  13. Andrew Rogers

Neal I can send you my .psp file for my Hatten map (13.5Mb) and my Sparrow Force map (24Mb) if you are interested. Note, I am using a very old version of PSP (circa 2000), so hopefully it works on your version. Andy
  14. Andrew Rogers

Agree with all of those points from Mr Tuomo. Just to add a couple of other items. Try to make the buildings in a hex a decent size in a village setting. It can slow down play if the bulk of the building depictions are relatively small and the players become obsessed about -2 'moving in the...