Recent content by aiabx

1. aiabx

Why are WWI movies so rare?

I think it might have worked with audiences in the 70's, when we had a run of really good movies taking a jaundiced view of the military post-Vietnam. I'm thinking MASH, Catch-22, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now... A good WWI movie would have fit in with the spirit of the times quite well.
  2. aiabx

Why are WWI movies so rare?

The waste and pointlessness of the First World War makes a bad subject for a popular movie. Moviegoers seem to like their war movies full of heroism and sacrifice leading to the ultimate victory for the Good Guys, but what do you do when the ultimate victory is a botched mess and millions of...
  3. aiabx

I'm just boasting here

He meant to say beer. No one would go to a seaside cafe and ask for 'soda', whatever the hell that is. Damn autocorrect.
  4. aiabx

VASLeague 2018, general discussion

Andy Beaton's Japanese held off Chuck Tewksbury's Russians in ASL 59 Smertniki. Chuck was a fine opponent and a gentleman and I would gladly play him again.
  5. aiabx

I'm just boasting here

I'll travel a long way for a good burger and chips. I'm not a snob. "Best" is still pretty compelling.
  6. aiabx

I'm just boasting here

Last time I was in Scotland, the best meal I had was at the Fish Cafe in Tobermory. If you made the list and they didn't,... wow. Next time I'm over, I *must* eat at your place. And Iceland Smite!
  7. aiabx

What do you Dread the most when playing ASL? (Game Play)

No scoffing intended. Managing an attack with 6 morale troops is a step above my skill level. I've seen it done to me dozens of times, but somehow my attacks never seem to work out the same way.
  8. aiabx

Beevor on war movies

I'll vote for Lawrence of Arabia for both.
  9. aiabx

Midway, what if the Japanese had just pushed on?

As they said upstream, shore targets are small and stable for aiming. Sea targets are big and tough to aim from. I don't remember where I read it, but I recall reading that a 5-1 gun ratio is required to win a gun duel between ships and shore guns.
  10. aiabx

This is why I am but a pupil while you are a master.
  11. aiabx

Attacking with American 6 morale troops.
  12. aiabx

Counter set does not provide sufficient number of vehicles w/o extra armament - What's the rule?

As Billy Bragg sang, if you have a blacklist, I wanna be on it.
  13. aiabx

Darrell Wright

I will miss him. He was a good guy.
  14. aiabx

Counter set does not provide sufficient number of vehicles w/o extra armament - What's the rule?

Something that always bothered me about the card game Magic was there was a benefit to having more money to spend on cards - it had the potential to give you an advantage over players who couldn't buy as many cards. I never expected to find that ASL had the same problem, where the guy who spent...
  15. aiabx

Does the current sniper implementation actually improve the game?

I'm also on the list of people who believes that random s*** adds to the fun (and maybe even the realism) of the game. One of the great things about the game is my opinion is the friction - the difference between the orders you issue and what happens on the board. That tank that can't decide if...