Recent content by aiabx

1. aiabx

Free Beer in Cleveland!

This time I won't cry.
  2. aiabx

Free Beer in Cleveland!

I am willing to throw World Cup games for beer.
  3. aiabx

Why are WWI movies so rare?

Jackie Fisher was famous for clearing out the dead wood of the old Royal Navy and replacing it with new modern dreadnoughts, cruisers and torpedo boat destroyers. The fact that they ended up with fewer actual ships shouldn't hide the fact that it was the world's most modern and powerful navy in...
  4. aiabx

I'm wondering how much WWI blindness was caused by the prevailing post-WWII-Cold-War narrative that the key to peace was to stand with your allies and stand up in the face of belligerent bullies, where this so conspicuously failed in 1914. (A cynical person might also question the British...
  5. aiabx

VASLeague 2018, general discussion

Got it!
  6. aiabx

I don't have a working email address for Don Holland, if you're here (or anyone has a current address for him), please let me know. -Andy
  7. aiabx

NAFTA

Making a rare appearance here to throw in some neighbourhood gossip about why Trump is being such a hard ass about Canadian trade. This is seriously friend-of-a-friend believe-it-if-you-want stuff, but my MP is Chrystia Freeland, Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs. Rumour in local political...
  8. aiabx

A Tip for Hidden Guns....

For scenarios with 6 or fewer guns, draw your counters with differing ID's. You can announce "Gun A is firing APCR" and it will be unambiguous.
  9. aiabx

Do you ever lose your temper while playing ASL?

I don't lose my temper as such, but I do get exasperated and sometimes even a little pissed off when I do everything right and my dice let me down. My opponents can roll 2's until the cows come home and I can laugh it off, but somehow when I roll 11's and 12's, it feels like I've done something...
  10. aiabx

I think it might have worked with audiences in the 70's, when we had a run of really good movies taking a jaundiced view of the military post-Vietnam. I'm thinking MASH, Catch-22, The Deer Hunter, Apocalypse Now... A good WWI movie would have fit in with the spirit of the times quite well.
  11. aiabx

The waste and pointlessness of the First World War makes a bad subject for a popular movie. Moviegoers seem to like their war movies full of heroism and sacrifice leading to the ultimate victory for the Good Guys, but what do you do when the ultimate victory is a botched mess and millions of...
  12. aiabx

I'm just boasting here

He meant to say beer. No one would go to a seaside cafe and ask for 'soda', whatever the hell that is. Damn autocorrect.
  13. aiabx

Andy Beaton's Japanese held off Chuck Tewksbury's Russians in ASL 59 Smertniki. Chuck was a fine opponent and a gentleman and I would gladly play him again.
  14. aiabx

I'm just boasting here

I'll travel a long way for a good burger and chips. I'm not a snob. "Best" is still pretty compelling.