HexDraw released. DYO HASL Map

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This app really needs an "Eraser" tool. Using the hexside terrain creation tool to erase portions of terrain textures is a real pain in the behind.

Lots of potential here, but needs just a bit more polish, IMHO.

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
This app really needs an "Eraser" tool. Using the hexside terrain creation tool to erase portions of terrain textures is a real pain in the behind.

I decided to start with the update HexDraw 1.1.
I will spend the whole next week on programming.
As I said Customer will get updates till version 1.9.
Also I will think about the eraser tool. I see the need but not the realisation.
I also do research for the Mac version which is possible but sadly dont own a Mac.

at now there are these requests :
- second road
- second hexside
- drawing a road over a longer distance
- randomly looped roads and hexsides
- drawing mass of terrain with one click
- more buildings

all but the last point I will try to do.

I ask you to post whatever you missed , what you like to have included.

Last edited:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cheers, Jo.B., for your warm reception to feedback.

Paolo Cariolato

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Very interesting tool

I'm thinking about purchasing it.
How many types of buildings did find their way into the 1.0 version?
The trial version has very few types.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Bought Hex Draw at the first opportunity...I think this programm will be a revolution in (ASL) map creating...even for people who are not used in creative design/ artwork ( like me ) :thumup:

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Very interesting tool

I'm thinking about purchasing it.
How many types of buildings did find their way into the 1.0 version?
The trial version has very few types.
the ASL-Terrain library is the same as in the trial versio.
Drawing buildings is not very dificult. Also you can use the VASL
buildings. At now I am programming the 1.1 update version. This will also include a generic wargame library with symbols for depots or harbours and such things.

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria

There is a eraser tool, have a look at the Woods overlay on the hill
in the ASL-Sample map.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, I have some initial questions (and possibly suggestions).

1. When I click on (let's say) woods, it puts a full woods hex on the map. I cannot figure out from the program how I make a partial woods hex/multi-hex grouping, as is standard for ASL. This is the biggest issue for me. (EDIT: I found the edit selected hex and select hex and edit bitmap buttons, which strangely are under the overlay tab rather than the terrain tab. The instructions that pop up are not very clearly written. Also, is there anyway that a window could ask someone to find or select a program rather than just erroring out? I have not yet gone through this painting procedure because I have to associate a paint program with bmps, I guess, but it is not clear to me what will show up in the paint program. Will hexes full of woods show up that would allow me to erase part of them to create partial hexes? Is that how it works??)

2. There does not seem to be an undo feature!!!!!

3. how can you reposition something on the map (like a building) once you have put it down? (EDIT: okay, I think I have discovered how to do that, but not for the background image)

4. How do you resize background images? I uploaded a small background image which I wanted to greatly resize until it was at the right proportion, but there didn't seem to be any way to do that. Also, I quickly found myself with multiple copies of the same image on the map, with no way to move them once placed or to undo or delete them. How do you do this?

5. the documentation is basically non-existent.

6. at the very least, on the website, there needs to be a step by step example of how to create an ASL map.

7. there needs to be a sewer entrance option (I don't think I saw one, but maybe I missed it). Also stairwell/steeple/large circle options.

8. There needs to be a solid black line hexside for factory interior walls and one that doesn't quite reach out all the way to the vertices for rowhouses.

9. there should be a dark woods hex for interior jungle (and similar things) as well as a light woods hex (for pine woods, etc.).

10. There should be some sort of path, brush/path, woods/path stuff.

11. There should be barbed wire hexsides and bocage hexsides.

12. some sort of red dashed or dotted hexside (so map designers can create entry areas, set up areas, etc.).

13. wreck overlay, palm tree overlay, wooden bridge overlay, pier overlay, roadblock overlay (possibly with options to extend it to a center dot of adjoining hexes)

14. desert terrain and overlays

15. simple drawing tools like creating a polygon that can then be filled. This would allow people easily to create custom buildings, for example. I think this is really important.

16. water tower overlay (another example of something that could be created via the polygon tool mentioned above)

17. minefield overlay

18. would it be too difficult to add layers? Even some pre-set layers (road network, buildings, etc.) would be potentiall useful, if possible

19. zoom capability?

20. what sort of file is the finished product saved in? Can it be edited by other programs, like illustrator, photoshop, xara, etc.? or can it only be exported as a non-editable bmp?

21. i notice changing the road border changes the border for every single such hex, not just one hex. can this be made more flexible?

22. would it be possible to be able to use cut and paste tools to paste a bitmap from the clipboard (i.e., which you may have created or obtained somewhere else)?

23. is there an option to make the hexgrid numbers larger in size?

24. it would be great if there were better support for gullies and streams (such as overlays in different configurations and going through different hexsides).

25. Beach hexes, deep water hexes, shoreline overlays.

26. Pond overlays?

27. Is there a way to change the default hex color for the whole map (like to brown or khaki for a desert map or to some sort of grey for an urban map)? I see that you can change the hexgrid color, but I don't see an option for the hex color. Maybe I am missing it. (EDIT: okay, I found it, but it is not clearly labeled and should be made more explicit what this does; also, there does not seem to be an option to change it once created).

28. It would be nice if in the "new map" window, there was a button you could check for "standard geomorphic map," "DASL geomorphic map," and maybe even "Red Barricades style HASL map," which would provide defaults for hex size, number of hexes, etc.

29. Do the 1 degree, 60 degree and random rotations buttons even work? I can't seem to get them to do anything.

30. This program really really really needs a "delete all terrain in hex" option, and I don't think it has one.

Anyway, this is some initial feedback and questions. I think this is a very intriguing program, and one that could make my life a whole whole lot easier. However, at the moment it is a pretty bare bones program and I think it could be made much richer. Jo, I hope you will continue to enhance this.

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
I am going to answer all your questions, but it needs some minutes

Last edited:

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Okay, I have some initial questions (and possibly suggestions).

1. When I click on (let's say) woods, it puts a full woods hex on the map. I cannot
figure out from the program how I make a partial woods hex/multi-hex grouping, as is
standard for ASL. This is the biggest issue for me. (EDIT: I found the edit selected
hex and select hex and edit bitmap buttons, which strangely are under the overlay tab
rather than the terrain tab. The instructions that pop up are not very clearly written.
Also, is there anyway that a window could ask someone to find or select a program rather
than just erroring out? I have not yet gone through this painting procedure because I
have to associate a paint program with bmps, I guess, but it is not clear to me what will
show up in the paint program. Will hexes full of woods show up that would allow me to
erase part of them to create partial hexes? Is that how it works??)

JO: Partial Terrain is mostly done with Hexside Terrain like Open Ground Hexside
(EDIT: Sadly it is not possible to connect a favorite BMP Painting program automaticaly.
You have to do this in Explorer -> Extra->Folder Options->FileTypes Tab
Select BMP and push Change Button then selct Paint for example, check always use..)

I suggest paint.net as a simple free Painting program.

2. There does not seem to be an undo feature!!!!!

JO: Currently not.

3. how can you reposition something on the map (like a building) once you have put it
down? (EDIT: okay, I think I have discovered how to do that, but not for the
background image)

JO: It works the same way with the Background.

4. How do you resize background images? I uploaded a small background image which I
wanted to greatly resize until it was at the right proportion, but there didn't seem to
be any way to do that. Also, I quickly found myself with multiple copies of the same
image on the map, with no way to move them once placed or to undo or delete them. How do
you do this?

JO: Use the "Size" track bar on the "Background" Tab to resize.

5. the documentation is basically non-existent.

JO: The documentation has 17 pages: HexDraw Manual.pdf, it includes serveral pictures.

6. at the very least, on the website, there needs to be a step by step example of how to
create an ASL map.

JO: It is very hard for me to write a manual. Also things will change in the 1.1. version
when mapmaking will be much faster. I will show this in an image later in the thread.

7. there needs to be a sewer entrance option (I don't think I saw one, but maybe I
missed it). Also stairwell/steeple/large circle options.

JO: Small symbols like sewer entrance, steeple and stairways should be taken as text
from "symbol font". I can't be sure that the symbol font is installed on every computer.
The libaray would not be loaded if that font is not there. I suggest you
search for such symbols in Word. Doing small symbols with text is way better than to
use an image, because they are drawn more sharply.

8. There needs to be a solid black line hexside for factory interior walls and one that
doesn't quite reach out all the way to the vertices for rowhouses.

JO: Examine the cliff overlay in the sample map. Also I can report that I saw a huge map
from a HexDraw user who filled the cliff overlays with green color and used them for
his hedges.
The ASL terrain library is a little variable in hexsize. You can choose a
bigger hexsize after loading. The interior walls would not fit.
Anyway, it can be simply drawn as a nearly black rectangel in Paint.

9. there should be a dark woods hex for interior jungle (and similar things) as well as
a light woods hex (for pine woods, etc.).

JO: I demonstrated other woods color in the ASL-winter-library in this thread. Just make
a copy of the woods png texture and fill with a new color.

10. There should be some sort of path, brush/path, woods/path stuff.

JO: Examine the ASL sample map, hex D2, path overlay. See Manual page 14, Open Ground road

11. There should be barbed wire hexsides and bocage hexsides.

JO: You find barbed wire as "xxxxxxx" in "Text" Tab

12. some sort of red dashed or dotted hexside (so map designers can create entry areas,
set up areas, etc.).

JO: Can be done, good idea

13. wreck overlay, palm tree overlay, wooden bridge overlay, pier overlay, roadblock
overlay (possibly with options to extend it to a center dot of adjoining hexes)

JO: Remember, you can bring in every image you like.
The color black in your image is see-through.
There are some good reasons why you cannot resize them in HexDraw.

14. desert terrain and overlays

JO: See above

15. simple drawing tools like creating a polygon that can then be filled. This would
allow people easily to create custom buildings, for example. I think this is really
important.

JO: This would have to be vector graphics and would not look nice.
Use Artweaver 4.0. for finishing your building. Like model making.

16. water tower overlay (another example of something that could be created via the
polygon tool mentioned above)

17. minefield overlay

18. would it be too difficult to add layers? Even some pre-set layers (road network,
buildings, etc.) would be potentiall useful, if possible

JO: The 1.1. version will have secondary roads and secondary hexsides.

19. zoom capability?

JO: It is there.

20. what sort of file is the finished product saved in? Can it be edited by other
programs, like illustrator, photoshop, xara, etc.? or can it only be exported as a non-
editable bmp?

JO: The hm-file can only be read by HexDraw. The export is ready for printing.

21. i notice changing the road border changes the border for every single such hex, not
just one hex. can this be made more flexible?

JO: No. You have to create a new road.

22. would it be possible to be able to use cut and paste tools to paste a bitmap from
the clipboard (i.e., which you may have created or obtained somewhere else)?

JO: Yes, that can be done. But there are several problems how to design that, for example
the name of the overlay or its position, also it could be misleading

23. is there an option to make the hexgrid numbers larger in size?

JO: Yes: Menue -> Edit -> Edit Hexgrid -> Hexnumber Font

24. it would be great if there were better support for gullies and streams (such as
overlays in different configurations and going through different hexsides).

25. Beach hexes, deep water hexes, shoreline overlays.

JO: You can do all the things you want with HexDraw.
I cannot fulfill everybodies wishes, I can only show you the door (as Morpheus said :) )

26. Pond overlays?

27. Is there a way to change the default hex color for the whole map (like to brown or
khaki for a desert map or to some sort of grey for an urban map)? I see that you can
change the hexgrid color, but I don't see an option for the hex color. Maybe I am
missing it. (EDIT: okay, I found it, but it is not clearly labeled and should be made
more explicit what this does; also, there does not seem to be an option to change it once
created).

JO: See Manual page 7

28. It would be nice if in the "new map" window, there was a button you could check for
"standard geomorphic map," "DASL geomorphic map," and maybe even "Red Barricades style
HASL map," which would provide defaults for hex size, number of hexes, etc.

JO: No, because HexDraw is useful for very different purpose and there will be also other libraries.

29. Do the 1 degree, 60 degree and random rotations buttons even work? I can't seem to
get them to do anything.

JO: See Manual page 16
This will become more powerful in version 1.1

30. This program really really really needs a "delete all terrain in hex" option, and I
don't think it has one.

JO: There is a "delete all terrain on the map" feature.
I will think about "Delete all in a hex".

Anyway, this is some initial feedback and questions. I think this is a very intriguing
program, and one that could make my life a whole whole lot easier. However, at the
moment it is a pretty bare bones program and I think it could be made much richer. Jo, I
hope you will continue to enhance this.

JO: Thanks for your feedback, Mark.

Last edited:

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jo, a couple of things. First, where is this manual? I did not see it on your website and it is not available from "help."

Second, you seem to be opposed to creating the terrain types that people will want to use for ASL and putting them in the library. This is shortsighted and defeats the whole purposes of the program, which is that people do not have to do it all themselves or re-invent the wheel. I strongly suggest you try to include every possible terrain feature I mentioned in the library.

In general, the program should be as easy to use "out of the box" as possible with people having to create images themselves as little as possible.

Also, I don't like doing things like making the barbed wire a text feature in the text tab. Who is going to look in the text tab for a barbed wire graphic? That is not logical or intuitive. Even if you CAN make a barbed wire symbol looking thing with the text tab, it should still appear as a hexside graphic in the hexside tab, because that is where people expect it and where it should go.

DSK665

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just bought hexdraw today, very happy with it . I can draw maps now that I would never be able to before. I think its a good start in the right direction, hopefully more standard terrain features can be added- anything found on the current maps.

Doug

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Jo, a couple of things. First, where is this manual? I did not see
it on your website and it is not available from "help."
You find the 'HexDrawManual.pdf' in the C:\Programs\HexDraw\ folder
But you are right. I will bring in a menue whitch will open that file.
This a good example about why I need users feedback. Never thought about
someone would not find it. My fault.

Second, you seem to be opposed to creating the terrain types that people will want to use
for ASL and putting them in the library. This is shortsighted and defeats the whole
purposes of the program, which is that people do not have to do it all themselves or re-
invent the wheel. I strongly suggest you try to include every possible terrain feature I
mentioned in the library.
About ASL-Terrain in HexDraw:
There are four types of terrain needed for doing ASL maps.

1. Extremly simple terrain like ocean and beach:
You can simply create such terrain by creating a hexside, a terrain and color.
A water texture is included.
Ok, I will include some more terrain of this type.

2. Simple terrain like pond, woods-clearing:
It is absolutely not useful to bring specific pond overlays in the library.
A specific pond overlay can be simply pixle painted on the map with the "edit select hex" feature
But I am going to explain that a little more in detail in the manual.

3. Railroads, gullies, desert gullies, path
These types of terrain can bo done but are a bit more difficult.
Because of my work at the gullies I brought in the "Paint also" feature
in the "Select Terrain" dialog.
Selecting "Roads" will give you points of reference for drawing reusable parts of railroads.
Selecting "Center dots" will give your points of reference for the gable of a building.
I will bring in some more gully-pieces. If you like to have desert gullies oder stream gullies
you should simply change the colors of the included gullies.

4. Buildings:
Mainly this is a question of quality of the buildings.
You can use the VASL Terrain library. You get many buildings but at low quality
because they have to be resized.
If this quality is to low, you can make them better with Artweaver.
Another way is to scan mapboards, cut and resize the buildings. But this will be
a copyright violation and is only useful if you are not publishing them.
When I shall explain how the buildings in the library are drawn, ask for that
and I will show it step by step.

In general, the program should be as easy to use "out of the box" as possible with people
having to create images themselves as little as possible.
Also, I don't like doing things like making the barbed wire a text feature in the text
tab. Who is going to look in the text tab for a barbed wire graphic? That is not
logical or intuitive. Even if you CAN make a barbed wire symbol looking thing with the
text tab, it should still appear as a hexside graphic in the hexside tab, because that is
where people expect it and where it should go.
Sure it is not intuitive that Barbed Wire or Cliffs are not in the Hexside tab.
But when you become more familiar with HexDraw you will not care about.
HexDraw is dedicated to Wargamers who are able to use Paint but don't want PhotoShop.
It is not ASL related only. Of course since I am an ASL player, ASL comes first.
Also because of its most extensive terrain.
You cannot argue that you cannot draw a palm tree and that I should do this for you
instead of programming useful features. I wish people of the ASL community would
get together and share their paintings. But I know this is too much.
I wish the VASL people could simply bring out their VASL depictions in a larger size.
I can't expect their help, because they do it for free.

At last you can do any ASL map with HexDraw in any quality. Similar to writing a text
or painting a picture, it is a matter of effort.

Last edited:

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jo. B,

Thanks a lot for pointing out where to find the manual from the demo download. Much appreciated.

I'll be keen on this software once you include an "Eraser" tool in the next version. Using Open Ground "Hexside" objects is still too awkward for customizing shape of Woods / Brush / Grain etc, IMHO. Lots of promise here, though.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
At last you can do any ASL map with HexDraw in any quality. Similar to writing a text or painting a picture, it is a matter of effort.
"Laziness" and creative endeavours rarely mix well.

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
drawing this map I stopped exactly after 30 minutes.
It is a x1 jpg export from the 1.1. version of Hexdraw.
The new features I used are terrain range and random factor
for street and hexsides.
Terrain range means you can selct a range from 0 to 20 and all hex in that range are converted to the selected terrain. Huh very fast ! Simcity like.
Random factor means that you can select a percentage of a hexside which is then
randomly assigned to a new road or heside. Each hillcrest line , woods crest line or road you see in the image below was just one click.
Watch the smoothly drawn road.

Again 30 Minutes ! I stopped when starting with the brush.

Jo.B

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Now I get the Oscar for posting the largest image in the forum and another one for posting a hole map. :)
ok I never willdo that again :)

Last edited:

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I think Jo gives us a wonderfull tool here. Hex Draw is not only made for ASL, but because Jo is coming from the ASL playing crowd i suppose his focus was/is on ASL specific map creations...It depends on how creative a user is for the outcome...