Kreta Review

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got my copy of Kreta this weekend after finding it stuffed and bent in my little mailbox.

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

1) I read thru the CG rules and I'm impressed by the look and feel that the map is going to give of the terrain. Excellent job HoB!!!

2) I like the linked scenarios idea and hope that this will catch on with other designers. I think that many HASLs are rejected due to the inability of one side or the other not being able to purchase units. Linked scenarios addresses this problem and it has the potential to become an industry standard for future HASLs.

I also like the CG scenario points and how the winner gets a base of 4 and the loser gets 2, but with a potential +1 or -1 for each side depending on CVP.

HoB was thinking outside the box on this one.

3) I like the great looking set of scenarios. I've always enjoyed getting a full set of scenarios that are designed for the specific mapsheet and then another set for geo boards. This was a great feature that gave us a huge set of scenarios in Onslaught to Orsha and has now carried over to Kreta.

4) Gorgeous map!!! Repetti does some fine work. It is going to be fun playing the different scenarios on the different parts of this map. Wow!

Overall, I have to put Kreta on the same level as OtO.

If you don't have a copy of OtO you better get one, because I think they're almost sold out and they're going to get expensive soon. I see the same thing happening with Kreta in a few years.

Time to read up on my Glider rules. Sweet!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Linked scenarios"

Explain.
Agreed please explain.... I did get a PM telling me about the CG which was helpful, but I am still not certain I understand completely....

Peace

Roger

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada

If you don't have a copy of OtO you better get one, because I think they're almost sold out and they're going to get expensive soon. I see the same thing happening with Kreta in a few years.

Thanks for the review. Very enticing. The linked-scenario concept sounds intriguing. However, the HOB site has listed OtO as sold out for quite some time. Do you know something we don't?

Alan

Last edited:

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Copied from my message #64 in the Kreta topic.

--------------

Got my copy of Kreta this weekend after finding it stuffed and bent in my little mailbox.

FREAKIN AWESOME!!!!

1) I read thru the CG rules and I'm impressed by the look and feel that the map is going to give of the terrain. Excellent job HoB!!!

2) I like the linked scenarios idea and hope that this will catch on with other designers. I think that many HASLs are rejected due to the inability of one side or the other not being able to purchase units. Linked scenarios addresses this problem and it has the potential to become an industry standard for future HASLs.

I also like the CG scenario points and how the winner gets a base of 4 and the loser gets 2, but with a potential +1 or -1 for each side depending on CVP.

HoB was thinking outside the box on this one.

3) I like the great looking set of scenarios. I've always enjoyed getting a full set of scenarios that are designed for the specific mapsheet and then another set for geo boards. This was a great feature that gave us a huge set of scenarios in Onslaught to Orsha and has now carried over to Kreta.

4) Gorgeous map!!! Repetti does some fine work. It is going to be fun playing the different scenarios on the different parts of this map. Wow!

I agree!! Looks way cool. Can't wait to put my new DFS230's on that map. Scenarios look very interesting with combination of historical maps and geo maps. However, comparisons to OtO a bit of a stretch for me but Kreta so far seems to offer some interesting actions. In spite of some issues Kreta does have some cool components and I'm rather pleased with this latest HOB offering

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't quite understand this the first time you posted it and I still don't, so this time I'll ask:

How does the linked scenario approach address the problem of not being able to purchase units? Are you saying that the scenarios in question are choose-your-own-OB ones like "Broadway to Prokhovka"?

Thanks,
John

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I am still hoping for... wait, here it comes... a Kretable review of this game.

Yuk yuk :clown:

L'Emperor

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
OK, just recieved the module so here is a quick overview. First the map. Honestly if there had not been such a hoopla over it, I doubt I would have thought that much about the quality of the paper / printing. Yes it is thin. None of my ink has come off but it was kept flat during shipment and I was very ginger with it. I kept expecting the dang thing to spontaneously combust. Beyond that, it is nice. The artwork is decent computer work and, most importantly, very functional. As others have pointed out, I would have prefered two sheets with larger hexes. Straight to the laminator with this. BTW, if HoB offers to replace it like they did the counters in RBF4, I'll probably pass. I think that says how much of a non-issue I think this is.

The counters are typical HoB fare. 84 1/2" and 37 5/8", mostly German underarmed paras and gliders or transports. I should note the dm RCL. The rest are SMCs, guns, and some Brit MG (including 4 MG42 LMG in Brit colors). Counters are ASL standard layout with colored artwork and "Heat of Battle" (1/2") or "HOB" (5/8") on them for legal purposes. The only thing I don't like about HoB counters is the extra glossy finish. It looks like an extra thin plastic laminate and probably helps to protect them, but it gives quite a glare.

The rules: about two pages to explain terrain. Most is pretty standard stuff. Hammada rules to model the river bottom is a nice use of existing rule for a novel effect, but it will cause problems for those without the desert rules. One page of nationality capabilities. One page of footnotes.

Scenarios: Six use part of the HASL map, one uses the whole thing. Nine use standard geo boards, one uses DASL maps. As one might expect, there are very few vehicles and then only on the allied side. There are a few scenarios that utilize Greek forces. The largest by far is OM-7 "Too Little, Too Late" (the one that uses the entire HASL map) at 13 turns (1-4 are night turns). The Germans have 25.5 squads, 3 guns, 2 81mm MTR, air support and air drops. The allies have 36 squads, 6 partisan 1/2 squads, 1 81mm MTR and 3 Mk VIBs

CG: There is no traditional CG. Instead, play OM2 to OM7. Each is worth a certain # of points to the winner, the looser getting 1/2 (FRU). There is also an adjustment for CVPs. This does have some advantages. One blown CG date will not ruin your whole game. It is quicker than a traditional CG. While Kreta looks cool, I do not think I'll ever have the time to play an entire traditional CG of this. Some are sure to miss the purchases and refits, it is a decent approach for certain situations. Call it CG lite. When all is said and done, I would still probably prefered a traditional CG.

I am looking forward to some serious playing of this one. Remember gliders and paradrops, to quote JR Tracy, are very simple after the first player turn.

My initial grade: B

Looks nice HoB and thanks.

Last edited:

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, just recieved the module so here is a quick overview. First the map. Honestly if there had not been such a hoopla over it, I doubt I would have thought that much about the quality of the paper / printing. Yes it is thin. None of my ink has come off but it was kept flat during shipment and I was very ginger with it. I kept expecting the dang thing to spontaneously combust. Beyond that, it is nice. The artwork is decent computer work and, most importantly, very functional. As others have pointed out, I would have prefered two sheets with larger hexes. Straight to the laminator with this. BTW, if HoB offers to replace it like they did the counters in RBF4, I'll probably pass. I think that says how much of a non-issue I think this is.

The counters are typical HoB fare. 84 1/2" and 37 5/8", mostly German underarmed paras and gliders or transports. I should note the dm RCL. The rest are SMCs, guns, and some Brit MG (including 4 MG42 LMG in Brit colors). Counters are ASL standard layout with colored artwork and "Heat of Battle" (1/2") or "HOB" (5/8") on them for legal purposes. The only thing I don't like about HoB counters is the extra glossy finish. It looks like an extra thin plastic laminate and probably helps to protect them, but it gives quite a glare.

The rules: about two pages to explain terrain. Most is pretty standard stuff. Hammada rules to model the river bottom is a nice use of existing rule for a novel effect, but it will cause problems for those without the desert rules. One page of nationality capabilities. One page of footnotes.

Scenarios: Six use part of the HASL map, one uses the whole thing. Nine use standard geo boards, one uses DASL maps. As one might expect, there are very few vehicles and then only on the allied side. There are a few scenarios that utilize Greek forces. The largest by far is OM-7 "Too Little, Too Late" (the one that uses the entire HASL map) at 13 turns (1-4 are night turns). The Germans have 25.5 squads, 3 guns, 2 81mm MTR, air support and air drops. The allies have 36 squads, 6 partisan 1/2 squads, 1 81mm MTR and 3 Mk VIBs

CG: There is no traditional CG. Instead, play OM2 to OM7. Each is worth a certain # of points to the winner, the looser getting 1/2 (FRU). There is also an adjustment for CVPs. This does have some advantages. One blown CG date will not ruin your whole game. It is quicker than a traditional CG. While Kreta looks cool, I do not think I'll ever have the time to play an entire traditional CG of this. Some are sure to miss the purchases and refits, it is a decent approach for certain situations. Call it CG lite. When all is said and done, I would still probably prefered a traditional CG.

I am looking forward to some serious playing of this one. Remember gliders and paradrops, to quote JR Tracy, are very simple after the first player turn.

I second this. Map definitely will get laminated. I've already played some of the scenarios so I'm going for an A- out of the wrapper for this one...

Thanks Steve and company

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Good job!

Concrete info on the latest 'hot topic'.

Any details on the whole map scenario?
I'm still 75% sure I'll buy it, more details are always welcome and may be the deciding factor whether I buy it now, or wait to see what happens with the map (non-) issue.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only downside to the whole map scenario is that (if my memory serves me correctly; I haven't bothered to doublecheck), the first four turns are night turns, which some won't like.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany

Thank you for the overview, Jim. Kreta is on "must have" list next...

xmbalmr0

10+3
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just received my copy..wow..wow..wow, very cool looking HASL. All you should need to hear to get the credit card out is: Scenario OM-7 after securing the airfield with a small number initial setup forces that are reinforced with glider troops you start bringing in JU-52s on turn 7, the transports land on the field under fire! In the HASL notes you get a special rule for air landing the JU-52's, buy it.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Cool!
Indeed, sounding more & more like a must have.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What counters are used to represent the Ju-52s?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Emperor,

You noted a few days back that you would have liked to see a "traditional CG" for Kreta. Understandable desire. However, the battle itself does not lend itself to what ASL has come to understand as a taditional CG, esp. from the Allied side of the equation.
From what I know, the designers tried to develop a traditional CG, but it was round hole-square peg kind of problem.

L'Emperor

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Emperor,

You noted a few days back that you would have liked to see a "traditional CG" for Kreta. Understandable desire. However, the battle itself does not lend itself to what ASL has come to understand as a taditional CG, esp. from the Allied side of the equation.
From what I know, the designers tried to develop a traditional CG, but it was round hole-square peg kind of problem.
Probably correct. I also noted that with the backlog of things I want to play, I would probably have a better chance at doing the one included. Hopefully, I'll give it a try soon. VotG is coming first.