Kreta

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
So do we have any confirmation of a scenario / CG or two inside this HASL which involves an ASL paradrop?

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Portal,

Kreta has a very very pretty historical map
A Seven scenario Campaign Game using a patented scenario link process

10 Geo scenarios

5 pages rules/footnotes/historical stuff
121 counters

It is not so much Paradrops as it is glider/transports

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Portal,

Kreta has a very very pretty historical map
A Seven scenario Campaign Game using a patented scenario link process

10 Geo scenarios

5 pages rules/footnotes/historical stuff
121 counters

It is not so much Paradrops as it is glider/transports
hi!

When you say scenario link process, do you mean a refit phase like the other CGs or a way to link a few the the scenarios included?

Thanks!

Peace

Roger

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Shucks, I was hoping for a roughly equal appearance of Paradrops and Glider Landings from this HASL. I know, historically, there were plenty of German parachutes used during the course of the Merkur campaign.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Marcus.

I saw one scenario that had a para-drop, the remainder of the 'airborne' action involves glider or transport aircraft.

The map is nice. The glossy finish doesn't bother me.

Good looking scenarios. Kudos to Andy Hershey and the fine group that worked on this product.

Tom

IYAOYAS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There's no purchasing involved in the CG. You play the CG scenarios and add up your points.

IMO, the paper used for the map is too thin for such a large map. Should have been split into two map sheets. I understand it's not HOB's doing (their printer messed up), but it's annoying.

MajorDad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The hexes are the same size or maybe just a tad smaller than the Geo mapboards. I already have the folding white corner showing on the map. I wish HOB had used the same material as the OtO map with the same hex size and maybe split the map in two.
Has anyone measured VOTG hexes? They are larger than Geo mapboards but not as large as BRT or RBs. It seems the standard sizes have already been deviated from.

As for the glossy finish on the the map, won't people use plexiglass over the map anyway?

Keith

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Kreta made it to Maine today. :banana:

Just gave it a quick look

So far: Nice

Still can't get my head out of Stalingrad
:love::love::love:

Loquitor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As for the glossy finish on the the map, won't people use plexiglass over the map anyway?

Keith
My problem will be the folding and unfolding of the map. The glossy paper tends to lead to "damage areas" those areas where the map folds into a corner tend to chip and the white paper underneath comes out

Roadtogundagai

Panty Sniffer
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Country
llNew Zealand
My problem will be the folding and unfolding of the map. The glossy paper tends to lead to "damage areas" those areas where the map folds into a corner tend to chip and the white paper underneath comes out
I use an artists folio thingy to hold my HASL maps. Get one as large as you can find and most maps will fit easily while flat. Keeps them safe and sound without any folding. :)

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just got mine in and took a quick peek over it. What a piece of crap! Check out some of the names on the scenario cards. Notice that the apostrophes are sideways instead of upright? How can I possibly play something like this? :hissyfit:

Neuralman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guys, The Glossyness of the maps and the counters was not the intention and won't be used again. Sometimes people don't listen to what you are telling them. The size of the map became and issue with the map printer who was a subcontracter and the main printer made a call, wrong one. The counters were made during the initial Recon 4 run.
Steve --

Since you recognize (er, well, I hope) that the map is frail and will tear with just a few uses, maybe some of us would be willing to pre-order the map on thicker paper? ABOUT how much would a sturdier mapsheet be?

It's actually not a big deal for me in the short term but only because all my ASL is on VASL. But maybe someday...

--N

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IMO, the paper used for the map is too thin for such a large map. Should have been split into two map sheets. I understand it's not HOB's doing (their printer messed up), but it's annoying.
The printer did not send it to consumers, HOB did; thus it is also HOB's doing.

Third significant printer screw up in a row for HOB (counters for captured Russian vehicles, punched scenario cards in SS reprint)

macca

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I had a large map cut into thirds and laminated - solved the storage problem and protects the map - the only concern I had was in the cutting process but the print shop did a professional job for a just a few bucks.

MajorDad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The printer did not send it to consumers, HOB did; thus it is also HOB's doing. Third significant printer screw up in a row for HOB (counters for captured Russian vehicles, punched scenario cards in SS reprint)
I am with Pitman on this one. This is HOB's third strike and their out in my book. I have heard through the grape vine that they will NOT reprint the map. My money will go to LFT from now on since they seem to be producing quality products.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Decided to cancel my pre-order after all, but primarily because the CG was a "linked-scenario" thingy (takes the strategic element out of CG play, then you just have one excessively long scenario).

The reported weirdness with the map and counters doesn't help, though. Let's get it right next time, guys! :)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The map/counter issues aside, the scenarios look great and I like the idea of a linked scenario CG as I will likely never have time for a full blown CG.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For $3 a square foot the local print shop will laminate the large maps for me. Cost me about $35 to get the VotG maps laminated.

Once they are laminated, there are no worries about damage to the map - not even from spilled drinks.

I haven't seen the map yet, but I'll bet that after it's laminated (which I do with all the HASL maps) I won't have a problem.

Last edited:

Stevedeth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, Guys, this note is with a bit of frustration so I reserve the right to take it back. I really don't understand Majordad hearing things for the grapevine that we will do or not do anything. I have not even concidered that decision yet so whatever you heard was utter ********.

As for the counters on Recon 4, one of the most anal people in this industry watched over that process and there still was a problem and I reprinted with a very large personel outlay of cash. With the replacement program in place which is the only way we could stay in some sort of business.

The paper finally used on the map was not what was specified in the order. There was a problem in the size of the map and the ability for the paper to the printer that was not communicated to me. I did not know of the thickness change until after I saw and and sent it out because most players do laminate or place under a plastic table. Every map I own is laminated. So I will be checking into what, if anything, I will do about that.

Pitman if you want to send your SS4 scenario sheets back I'll place a hole puched piece of paper in there for you, jeeze your a negitivity is such a joy.