Map making in AATF

mbrien

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good Evening,
First, I am new to AATF but I think the game is great. I am hopping someone can help me get on the right track in making some maps in AATF. I would like to do a map of Fort Huachua AZ as that is where I am stationed. I have plenty of 1:50,000 scale maps of the area. Plus I want to use a Google Earth image with it as well.

If anyone has some kind of map building guide could you send me one?

Thanks

Mark

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Mark,

I'm fairly sure there's a mapmaking tutorial Pat put out way back when, but I can't seem to find it. I'm sure one of the guys will be along shortly to point you in the right direction.

I did, however, find a Huachuca map in the ATF downloads section that might help you out a bit: http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=85.

Brian

mbrien

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Bryan,
Thanks for the link, I saw that the other day but I am not sure how to use the file, I tried opening it with the power toolkit but no luck. I am hoping someone with some experience with the maps can show me the light.

Thanks
Mark

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Some useful links. Some may not have their pictures with them anymore.
Creating Maps from SRTM Data - Tutorial by drunkrussian
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=38959

Creating Maps from SRTM Data by drunkrussian
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=38945

Xdm by Cyrano
http://forums.gamesquad.com/showthread.php?t=38873

Also if you go to the "ATF Scenario Design" section you will find lots of weid questions from me and Pat's answers. Some may be a bit "weid" so just skip them.

Also in the "ATF Scenario Design" section it is a wise approach to set teh 'Display Options' to the "Beginning". You get to see all threads.

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Just one weee small point re map making.. Don't expect to knock up a map overnight.
1. Try weeks (lots of).
2. place Sanity somewhere safe.
3. enjoy

mbrien

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TDR,
Hey thanks for the links I think I can get started with that Huachuca file that is an XDM format. I will get the 1:50,000 scale maps from work and try it out over the weekend. Have you tried using an image from Google Earth? How does that work for you? I have read some of your posts, how is your map coming along?

Mark

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
TDR,
Hey thanks for the links I think I can get started with that Huachuca file that is an XDM format. I will get the 1:50,000 scale maps from work and try it out over the weekend. Have you tried using an image from Google Earth? How does that work for you? I have read some of your posts, how is your map coming along?

Mark
be careful...those maps are copyrighted. I'm sure you can use it for personal use, but be careful if you plan on sharing it with others!

TDR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
be careful...those maps are copyrighted. I'm sure you can use it for personal use, but be careful if you plan on sharing it with others!
Actually both types are copyright maps, 1:50,000 and the Google Earth.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually both types are copyright maps, 1:50,000 and the Google Earth.
Not necessarily. US Government-made maps that are not "Limited Distribution" are NOT copyrighted material - they were made using US taxpayer dollars, and therefore belong to any American. Not sure how that works for non-US citizens, though, and not much is NOT "LimDis"...

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Not necessarily. US Government-made maps that are not "Limited Distribution" are NOT copyrighted material - they were made using US taxpayer dollars, and therefore belong to any American. Not sure how that works for non-US citizens, though, and not much is NOT "LimDis"...
A representative from HPS Simulations told me the same thing a while back.