More thoughts on the Scenario Designers Guide

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
I bought 2 copies.

So <Mr X> attempts to cast aspersions are highly misguided. Though, given his track record of unremitting antagonism and attacks against me dating back a very long time, not surprising.
The attempted negative publicity will probably generate more sales for you because people will be curious on what all the fuss is about. It's like when someone complains about a new book that they feel should be banned when all it actually does is make more people buy the book.

Rep

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are the publishers, not the review writer. They did not offer an opinion on the guide. My point was to respond to Dorosh's nasty aspersion that somehow a positive review of my guide was published because I was "buddies" with the folks there.
OK, well I'll take your word for it then -at least until I can read the review myself (which may never happen.)

Just seems a bit odd that you would put so much effort into defending your guide vs. Michael's review (which seemed like a reasonabale opinion, rather than an 'attack'). I would just offer what's there and move on.

They can't all be gems, you know.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
OK, well I'll take your word for it then -at least until I can read the review myself (which may never happen.)

Just seems a bit odd that you would put so much effort into defending your guide vs. Michael's review (which seemed like a reasonabale opinion, rather than an 'attack'). I would just offer what's there and move on.

They can't all be gems, you know.
Just as a point of order, I don't think Mark defended his guide just then. What he did was accuse me of posting a "hatchet job" based not on the content of the book, but on visceral reaction to him personally. That's not a defence of his book. His only defence was to say "but Fire & Movement liked it - here's where to buy Fire & Movement."

That's not the point of dredging this up, though. I was genuinely wondering if we can expect to see a revised version of the SDG with some of the expanded content ideas I suggested? Perhaps some actual tools, making it more useful as an actual guide for first time scenario designers? Or is the current form pretty much the final format we can expect?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My question would be why did you feel the need to create a second book?
Phases of the moon? Not sure that the information is totally relevant. Now, I admit, I don't own the book so I have some questions if you'll allow.

You show on one of the previews a list of deployment dates for some Allied formations. Have you done that for every nationality?

You list comprehensive OOB info, how comprehensive? To the Regiment level? does it cover the entire timeframe (and represent the corresponding strength and TOE changes) or just a select year?

Parts of what I read look intriguing, but I'd like more information as to how detailed the book is. Not ready to spend $50 bucks without more info.

Any owners of the new book have info to share?

Just as a point of order, I don't think Mark defended his guide just then. What he did was accuse me of posting a "hatchet job" based not on the content of the book, but on visceral reaction to him personally. That's not a defence of his book. His only defence was to say "but Fire & Movement liked it - here's where to buy Fire & Movement."

That's not the point of dredging this up, though. I was genuinely wondering if we can expect to see a revised version of the SDG with some of the expanded content ideas I suggested? Perhaps some actual tools, making it more useful as an actual guide for first time scenario designers? Or is the current form pretty much the final format we can expect?

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Parts of what I read look intriguing, but I'd like more information as to how detailed the book is. Not ready to spend $50 bucks without more info.
Agreed..... I think it looks interesting, but I need more information before plunking down 50 beans.

Thanks!

Peace

Roger

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So, do Dorosh and Pitcavage think their publications compete with or compliment each other?

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
They are in fact the same person.

Oh man! I was saving for the holidays the 'Has anyonce EVER seen Pittman and the Scrote in the same room together at the same time thread.'

And you just ruined it.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My question would be why did you feel the need to create a second book?
Phases of the moon? Not sure that the information is totally relevant. Now, I admit, I don't own the book so I have some questions if you'll allow.

You show on one of the previews a list of deployment dates for some Allied formations. Have you done that for every nationality?
The intent of the deployment listings is to give some idea of the relative rarity of the formations in the battle line. To that end, I have not provided deployment dates for, say, every Red Army rifle division, German infantry division, or Japanese infantry brigade - though I do provide other information for those formations.

The formations for whom I've indicated combat deployment theatres and/or years are:

Romanian Divisions (Infantry, Security, Cavalry, Motorized, Armoured, Fortress, Reserve and Guards)
British Infantry Divisions
British Armoured Divisions
British Airborne Divisions
Australian Divisions
Canadian Divisions
Indian Divisions
New Zealand Divisions
South African Divisions
Finnish Infantry Divisions (composition only)
German (Army) Motorized Infantry Divisions
German Light Infantry Divisions
German Jäger Divisions
German Light Divisions
German Mountain Divisions
German Panzer Divisions
German Panzergrenadier Divisions
Waffen SS Divisions (all types)
Luftwaffe Field Divisions
Luftwaffe Parachute Divisions
Italian (pre-defection) Divisions (infantry, mountain, alpine, (semi-)motorized, assault, air-landing, cavalry, parachute and armoured)
Japanese SNLF
US (Army) Infantry Divisions
US Armoured Divisions
US Airborne Divisions
US Army Ranger Battalions
USMC Divisions

You list comprehensive OOB info, how comprehensive? To the Regiment level?
Division and Regiments show basic unit structures. Artillery is generally down to the battery level, anti-aircraft, engineers, recon and armour down to battalion level (info on vehicles and ordnance are in the ASLRB), and infantry battalions are broken down all the way to squad level.

does it cover the entire timeframe (and represent the corresponding strength and TOE changes) or just a select year?
1939-1945, some forces have more detailed information than others. I have one breakdown of a Nationalist Chinese battalion, but from what I understand, they had a sometimes chaotic organization as compared to western armies; similarly, the Japanese had an extensive system of cross-attachments or augmentations above and beyond their A and B type divisions.

Formation breakdowns include:

Belgian Infantry Division
Greek Infantry Division
Dutch Infantry Division May 1940
Dutch Infantry Regiment Dec 1941 (East Indies)
Norwegian Infantry Brigade April 1940
Polish Infantry Division September 1939
Yugoslavian Infantry Division April 1941
Hungarian Infantry Division July 1942
Romanian Infantry Division June 1941
Romanian Security Division 1942-43
British Infantry Division 1942-1945
British Armoured Division 1943-45
British Airborne Division 1944-45
Australian Jungle Division 1943-45
Finnish Infantry Division 1939-40
Finnish Infantry Division 1941
French Infantry Division 1939-40
French Motorized Infantry Division 1939-40
German Infantry Division 1939-42
German Infantry Division 1943-45
German Mountain Division 1939-45
German Panzer Division 1940-45
German Cavalry Division 1939-40
German Parachute Division 1943-45
Luftwaffe Field Division 1942-43
Italian Infantry Division 1940-43
Italian Infantry Division (North Africa) 1942-43
Italian Motorized Infantry Division (North Africa) 1942-43
Japanese Infantry Division Type "B" 1940-45
Red Army Infantry Division 1939-40
Red Army Infantry Division 1941
Red Army Reduced Infantry Division July 1941
Red Army Infantry Division June 1942
Red Army Infantry Division July - December 1942
Red Army Infantry Division 1943-45
Red Army Rifle Brigade 1941-42
Red Army Mountain Division 1940
Red Army Ski Brigade early 1942
Red Army Ski Brigade September 1942 - January 1945
Red Army Cavalry Division 1939-1941
Red Army Cavalry Division July 1941
Red Army Light Cavalry Division 1941
Red Army Cavalry Division 1943-45
Light Tank Brigade 1939-40
Heavy Tank Brigade 1939-40
Red Army Motorized Division 1941
Red Army Tank Division Jul-Jul 1941
Red Arm Tank Division Jul 1941-1945
Red Army Tank Brigade Aug 1941 - Dec 1941
Red Army Tank Brigade Dec 1941 - 1942
Motorized Rifle Brigade Apr 1942
Red Army Tank Brigade 31 Jul 1942-Nov 1943
Red Army Tank Brigade Nov 1943-1945]
Red Army Mechanized Brigade Sep 1942-1945
Red Army Airborne Brigade Nov 1940
Red Army Airborne Brigade 1941
Red Army Airborne Brigade 1943
US Army Infantry Division 1942-45
US Army "heavy" Armored Division 1942-45
US Army "light" Armored Division 1944-45
US Army Mountain Division 1945
US Airborne Division 1943-44
US Airborne Division 1945
USMC Infantry Division 1942-May 1944
USMC Infantry Division May 1944-1945

These are just the charts; some timeframes not covered by the charts are covered in the text instead. For example, the Japanese Infantry Division Type "B" chart is also applicable to the Type "A" Division, with changes described directly in the text, rather than devoting space to another diagram. Similarly, the late USMC Division chart is applicable to both the "F" and "G" Series organization with a few footnotes.

The point of the divisional charts (which also break down the regiments into number of infantry battalions as well as a breakdown of supporting units, in the case of artillery and mortars to the battery level with type of tube/barrel) is to give some idea as to what an infantry battalion might expect for support. In other words, I've focused on the infantry. So while I don't break down a typical armoured battalion, I do break down the infantry battalions in, say, a Panzergrenadier division. For every formation level breakdown I just listed, there are corresponding infantry/cavalry battalion breakdowns down to the squad level, in ASL terms.

No copies are in print in anyone's hands yet, including mine. My best advice - the book isn't going anywhere. Hang tight and see what others have to say. If you have a particular area of interest that you want to know whether or not the book addresses it, send me an email and I can consider sending a couple of sample pages to you. madorosh@shaw.ca

The detailed (squad-level) breakdowns in ASL terms include:

Belgian Infantry Battalion May 1940
Greek Infantry Battalion October 1940
Greek Cavalry Battalion October 1940
Dutch Infantry Battalion May 1940
Dutch Infantry Battalion Dec 1941
Norwegian Infantry Battalion April 1940
Polish Infantry Battalion September 1939
Yugoslavian Infantry Battalion April 1941
Hungarian Infantry Battalion
Romanian Infantry Battalion June 1941
British Infantry Battalion 1939-1942
British Infantry Battalion 1942-1945
British Motor Battalion 1940-Apr 1942
British Motor Battalion Apr-Sep 1942
British Motor Battalion 1943-45
British Parachute Battalion 1942-43
British Parachute Battalion 1943-45
British Glider Battalion 1944-45
British Independent Company 1940
British Commando 1940
British Army Commando 1943
Australian Jungle Battalion 1943-45
Nationalist Chinese Infantry Battalion
Finnish Infantry Battalion 1939-40
Finnish Infantry Battalion 1941
French Infantry Battalion 1939-40
French Motorized Infantry Battalion 1939-40
French Motorized Dragoon Battalion (type DLC) 1939-40
French Motorized Dragoon Battalino (type DLM) 1939-40
German Infantry Battalion 1939-42
German Grenadier Battalion 1943-45
German Mountain Troop Battalion 1939-1945
German Schützen Battalion (Motorized) 1939-42
German Schützen Company (Armoured) 1939-42
German Panzergrenadier Battalion (Motorized) 1942
German Panzergrenadier Battalion (Motorized) late 1943
German Panzergrenadier Battalion (Motorized) 1944
German Panzergrenadier Battalion (Motorized) late 1944
German Panzergrenadier Battalion (Armoured) late 1943
German Panzergreandier Battalion (Armoured) 1944-45
German Cavalry Battalion 1939-1941
German Cavalry Battalion 1944
German Parachute Battalion 1939-42
German Parachute Battalion 1943
German Parachute Battalion 1944-45
Luftwaffe Field Battalion 1942-43
Italian Infantry Battalion 1940
Italian Infantry Battalion 1941
Italian Infantry Battalion 1942-43
Japanese Infantry Battalion 1939-45
Japanese SNLF 1940-45
Japanese Airborne SNLF 1941-42
Japanese Raiding Regiment 1944
Japanese Glider Regiment 1944
French Secret Army and FTP Tactical Organization (manpower only)
Red Army Infantry Battalion 1939-41
Red Army Reduced Strength Infantry Battalion July 1941
Red Army Infantry Battalion Jan-Jun 1942
Red Army Infantry Battalion Jul-Dec 1942
Red Army Infantry Battalion 1943-45
Red Army Reduced Strength Infantry Battalion 1943
Red Army Rifle Brigade Battalion 1941
Red Army Rifle Brigade Battalion 1942
Red Army Mountain Company 1940-Apr 1943
Red Army Mountain Company Apr 1943-1945
Red Army Mountain Battalion 1944-45
Red Army Ski Battalion Winter 1941-42
Red Army Ski Battalion Oct 1942-1945
Red Army Line Squadron (cavalry) 1939-41
Red Army Motor Rifle Company 1939-41
Red Army Light Cavalry Squadron 1941
Red Army Line Squadron 1943-45
Red Army Motor Rifle Battalion 1939-40
Red Army Motorized Infantry Battalion 1941
Red Army Infantry Battalion (as in Tank Brigade) Aug 1941-Dec 1941
Red Army Motorized Rifle Battalion Dec 1941-Jul 1942
Red Army Motorized Rifle Battalion Apr 1942-Nov 1943
Red Army Motorized SMG Battalion (as in Tank Brigade) Nov 1943-45
Red Army Motorized Rifle Battalion (as in Mechanized Brigade) Sep 1942-45
Red Army Parachute/Glider Battalion Nov 1940-Sep 1941
Red Army Parachute/Glider Battalion Sep 1941
Red Army Parachute Battalion 1943
US Army Infantry Battalion 1942-45
US Army Armored Infantry Battalion 1942-43
US Army Armored Infantry Battalion 1943-45
US Army Mountain Battalion 1945
US Glider Infantry Battalion 1942-44
US Parachute Infantry Battalion 1942-45
US Glider Infantry Battalion 1945
USMC "D" Series Infantry Battalion 1942-43
USMC "E" Series Infantry Battalion Apr 1943-May 1944
USMC "F/G" Series Infantry Battalion May 1944-1945

Last edited:

Fritz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"They are in fact the same person"

Wait, I thought Pitcavage and Probst were the same person... The Innertubes is so confusing.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So, do Dorosh and Pitcavage think their publications compete with or compliment each other?
That is up to the individual reader. I know each book has things the other does not. Mark's book has a detailed appendix of VC and an SSR Compendium. His also has two unique scenarios that have been playtested and are 'fit for print'. The scenarios in my book are mainly for illustration purposes. As well, the two books are very different in approach as far as writing style and layout, etc.

In my opinion, they complement each other, but it depends on what you are wanting to get out of it. At the extreme end of the scale, I don't doubt there would be many people who think Mark's book fills their need completely while mine is a complete waste of time as far as what they are looking to get out of the product.

fwheel73

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is up [snip]....... As well, the two books are very different in approach as far as writing style and layout, etc.

In my opinion, they complement each other, but it depends on what you are wanting to get out of it. At the extreme end of the scale, I don't doubt there would be many people who think Mark's book fills their need completely while mine is a complete waste of time as far as what they are looking to get out of the product.
Michael,
I read Mark's book description info at LuLu.com when it became available.... and I bought it. I have read your book information at LuLu.com, as well as the back-and-forth here,.... and decided to put my money down as your book looks good. It looks like they will be complementary. Heck I like color pictures too. ;)

The publisher says printing is 3-5 days.... looks like I will have some Christmas reading! Anyone with some ASL cash/credit available.... should buy it now!

Best regards,:salute:
John

Ronnblom

Swedish Terminator
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Btw, I'm doing a Scenario Designer's Manual. Or should I call it Scenario Designers Manual? Hmm. Scenario Designers' Manual? Oh, this will take a long time. Only the title is soo much work. Anyway, it will be followed by the more extensive Scenario Designer's Textbook.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And make sure you follow that up with an "Even Fewer Returned in This Scenario Pack Than Returned in Pitcavage's Scenario Pack" scenario pack.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking of writing an ASL Players Guide which would cover such important topics as
  • glass vs tower
  • IFT v. IIFT
  • Counter storage
  • TTP v. "Official ASL"
  • Little known rules and how you can use them to sleaze your opponent
  • How to talk your opponent into playing the down side of one-sided dogs for tournament greatness
  • ASOP: Rigid rule or sportsman's guideline
  • Rules which I would like to see changed so I can be a better player
  • Towards a more realistic ASL
  • The fundamental importance of historical accuracy in determining a scenario's fun factor
  • Missing unit types and how they would make the game better
  • MMP's flaws and alternatives to their stewardship
  • Living rules and how they would make ASL better (including a sub-topic on how a rules committe would be better than a central aughtority)
  • Maybe a chapter on the the personalities of ASL
Anyone else care to contribute a topic? If enough people join in, we can run it as a series of essays and I will serve as editor. We will make sure to pitch it to anyone who wants to run it. I will not be paying contributors much as I am looking to get rich of the shoulders of others efforts (I will be a TPP after all and ethics are not our strong suit apparently). Any interest in such a product? -- jim