Bagration (Veers-Soviet vs Silvanski-Axis)

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/10-16/44 T21
Poland/Southern Germany:
The 4th Panzer Division, which had counter-attacked near Mahrisch-Ostrau, was surrounded and destroyed.
In the Vienna pocket the 367th Infantry Division and 3rd Pazner Division were destroyed.
Third Belarus Front finally blasted a hole in the German lines. The lead elements of the 3rd Guards Tank Corps are 160km from Berlin.
First Belarus Front also managed to breakthrough the German lines, though not as convincingly as the Third Belarus Front. The lead elements of the 1st Guards Tank Corps are 160km from Berlin.
The advance out from Czechoslovakia is still going very well. Tanks of the 10th Tank Corps are at the gates of Prauge and are 260km from Berlin.
The Vienna pocket continues to be reduced at a slow rate as most Soviet troops and tanks have bypassed the city, heading for Prague and Berin.

Air War:
About 115 enemy craft were downed for the price of 82 friendly craft.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Comrade Veers banged on the rotten door, and how. He broke out north of Bydgozszcszs and is racing towards Kustrin.
Hasty redeployments managed to isolate several Soviet spearheads.

The lines in Czechoslovakia are being beefed up as best as possible under the circumstances.

The units cut off in Vienna have to fend for themselves.

Poland on 16 November 1944

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/17-23/44 T22
Poland/Germany:
The 58th ID, 201st Sec Div, 296th ID, 337thVGD, 454th Sec Div, 541st VGD, 542nd Musingen Div, 545th VGD, 567th VGD, 570th Gross Born, and the Prince Eugene Gebirgs Div were destroyed.
The Germans north of the First Belarus Front’s advance are beginning to crumble. The spearhead itself did not make much progress. The out-of-contact 29th Guards Tank Corps is 100km from Berlin.
A large pocket is forming between the main thrusts of the First and Third Belarus Fronts.
The Third Belarus Front’s advance was poor this week, though they did shatter the strong SS II Poliezei Division. Their lead, out-of-contact Tanks Corps are 180km from Berlin.
The advance through Czechoslovakia continues to make stellar progress. Lead elements are 180km from Berlin.
The advance from southern Germany has stalled at Prague, as the infantry are still south of hear, attempting to get to the tanks at Prague. Vienna was captured, with the forces there surrendering. Many other pockets in southern Germany were also eliminated or severely reduced. With Vienna cleared the infantry will be able to put their full weight into the advance towards Prague and Berlin.

Air War:
About 225 enemy craft were destroyed for the price of 154 friendly craft.

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
fascinating AAR just stumbled across it. how did it all end?
Ah, Brian. How are you?
It is still ongoing. I am awating Silvain's next turn.
There is a good chance this one will end in January of 1945.

A quick list of things to be fixed:
Errors:
1 Ukr Frt-13 Army, second Tank Brigade does not deploy correctly as it is set to deploy in wrong hex and the first Brigade is not actually a tank Brigade.

Leningrad Front-18 Art Div does not deploy correctly as it is set to deploy in wrong hex.

2 Bal Frt, Front HQ is marked as Corps (XXX) and not Army (XXXX).

Soviet Shock may be excessive. I'm not yet convinved of this, however, with an MRPB set it would likely be a bit excessive.

The unit scale is, in my humble opinion, wrong. With the Soviets it is very difficult due to having to have every damn hex on the front line filled up to its nine unit capacity. A betetr scale would be for Soviet units to represent 2 or 3 divisions (Did they have Corps commands?).

Supply radius seems exsessive. It is not difficult to keep an advance supplied. The supply radius should, in my opinion, be reduced to 1 or 2 hexes.

MRPB of 3 would be very useful in this scnairo. Turn burning attacks happen very often.

Germans should be coloured differently. Same BG, but with diff front colour for each AG, plus the fifth for Reserve/OKH troops. Only Romanian, Hungarian, SS, and others should be coloured completely differently.

All regular German units should then be set to either force support or Army support, SS on free support, Romanian/Hungarian also on force/army support, so the German units inside these formations will be able to cooperate with other German units, but the Hungarian/Romanian units would have limited cooperation.

The reason being that the Germans get so mixed up with half of them being destroyed that it would be impossible to keep them together as Corps/Armies and to force a player to do that is unduly unrealistic, as they would have simply transferred to a different command in history.

Of course these are all just my opinion.

Last edited:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Ah, Brian. How are you?
It is still ongoing. I am awating Silvain's next turn.
There is a good chance this one will end in January of 1945.
If you hadn't paused in Poland, you'd been in Berlin by Christmas :nuts:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you hadn't paused in Poland, you'd been in Berlin by Christmas :nuts:
Eh, my boys were wearing down. Maybe not enough for a complete stop, but I was planning to stop at one point so as to somewhat simulate the Soviet's in-ability to have all troops moving forward at once. The reason I didn't stop sooner is because you didn't get a real line up any earlier. Had you been abel to put up a bit greater resistance in East Prussia, I would have stopped there, but the boys kept rolling, so I kept rollign them.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Yeah that fiasco in the Baltics and East Prussia will haunt me for years to come ;-)

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah that fiasco in the Baltics and East Prussia will haunt me for years to come ;-)
*not being arrogant, justr curious (as I've mostly forgotten everythign about it except that I trounced you. :laugh:*
Did you learn anything from it?

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I surely did!

And also... I've been playing/testing "Trotsky" so often that I got so indoctrinated with the German army's quality there (the fresh 1939 army)
I failed to adapt to the 1944 east front situation hehe

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I surely did!

And also... I've been playing/testing "Trotsky" so often that I got so indoctrinated with the German army's quality there (the fresh 1939 army)
I failed to adapt to the 1944 east front situation hehe
I've done that before. :laugh:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
16-22 November 1944 and still warm conditions (?)

The Luftwaffe finally managed to provide some air support as 13th Panzer Div and 2/376th Infantry recaptured Poznan.

Encircled German units attempting to break out cause the Soviets some delay: 131th Inf Division near Bydgoszcszcczsz, elements of AG N.Ukraine and 2 Panzer Armee between Mahrisch Ostrau and Pardubitz are fighting for what their worth even it ain't much anymore.

A Soviet unit identified as being the 29th Tank Corps was intercepted 100KM from Berlin. Soviet gains in Silesien are being checked.

Soviet 10 Tank Corps and 9 Mech Corps attempting to bypass Prague have been trapped.

Further north their 3rd Guards Tank Corps and 5th Tank Corps are also isolated from the main force.

But the situation is grave... lost tank and self-propelled guns ...7000-ish

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
11/24-30/44 T23
Poland/Germany:
Mr. Domen has built a new line in southern Germany. It is anchored at Pilsen, runs to Prague, then to Gorlitz, it then follows some fortification hexes north to Kustrin, and, from there, runs to Stettin. Strong German forces remain in Poland and West Germany, however: The 19th PzD (100km northwest of Stettin), the Totenkopf SS PzD (100km west of Stettin), the 23rd PzD (60km north of Poznan), the 14th PzD (40km north of Poznan), the Polezei SS PzGD (20km north of Poznan), and the 13th PzD (in Poznan).
The 23rd PzD was shattered. The Tatra PzD was destroyed as Soviet forces took Budweis. The Fuher PzGD was destroyed near Kalisz.
The 31st Tank Corps captured Prague.
The last resistance near Vienna surrendered.

Air War:
About 135 enemy craft were downed for the price of 121 friendly craft.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
23 - 29 November 1944

I took some measures to prevent a bunch of my units being cut off in the Danzig area.

A few localized counter attacks were carried out in an attempt to stabilize the front and disrupt the Soviet advance. Soviet pockets were assaulted to try prevent the main force linking up.

Mr Courtney is crawling forward but at a heavy price.

This one surely could have made the headlines in "Signal"
South of Prague 7th Korps' heavy FlaK Div enjoyed a turkey shoot... the area was littered with wreckage of Soviet tanks. 10th Tank Corps, comprising 100 tanks of various types evaporated.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mr Courtney is crawling forward but at a heavy price.

This one surely could have made the headlines in "Signal"
South of Prague 7th Korps' heavy FlaK Div enjoyed a turkey shoot... the area was littered with wreckage of Soviet tanks. 10th Tank Corps, comprising 100 tanks of various types evaporated.
And it was likely out of supply, meaning I got none of those tanks back. If there were not so many damn units to move each turn I would have been a lot more careful and meticulous in my plannign of each turn. However, there are far too many units to deal with, and, therefore I have been labouring through my turns, without putting too much effort into them.
Another folly has been my insistance on trying to capture territory quickly by runnign my Tank Corps all over the place. Instead (and as I am now going to start doing), I should have been conducting a meticulous advance that would involve the destruction of the Wehrmacht.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I should have been conducting a meticulous advance that would involve the destruction of the Wehrmacht.
I remember the destruction of AG Center in the opening weeks of Bagration
:ar15:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I remember the destruction of AG Center in the opening weeks of Bagration
:ar15:
Yes. I should have been conducting an advance more like that one (even though I did have shock then, as well).
By the way, in my opinion, if you had not been so totally defeated in the opening weeks of the campaign you may have had a chance of holding out Berlin for the whole scenario and winning.