BCS title game

CyberRanger

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, that wasn't a very enjoyable game.
I'm shocked at how Florida shut down OSU. Losing Ginn was a blow but OSU wasn't firing on all pistons tonight. Maybe being #1 all seaon finally got to their heads.

Cherper

Legend in my own mind
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Florida wanted it. They executed perfectly. They didn't make mistakes. OSU looked like they believed all the press that they were going to roll over Florida.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
On any given Sunday, and team can beat any other. That's why they play the games.

It was still a hell of a season for Ohio State.

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it was losing Ginn and the long lapse of time since the Buckeyes played in a game. Like Cherper said also Florida seemed to want it more.

At least the food was good. Tri Tip with ABTs

and a smoked fattie shaped like a little pig

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Florida wanted it. They executed perfectly. They didn't make mistakes. OSU looked like they believed all the press that they were going to roll over Florida.
It almost looked like the Buckeyes got a taste of thier own medicine. Steady moving offense, no mistakes- but make the other team pay for mistakes. Like it would not have been at all shocking if it happened exactly the other way around.

The fact that OSU never had any really tough games during the season- where they had to play from behind most of the way- looked like that hurt them. They just couldn't handle it.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is one Buckeye who is proud today. Tressel and Troy Smith were gentlemen and sportman after the game. You can tell more about a person in defeat than in victory.
Interesting facts The underdog is 7-2 in BCS title games and Hiesman trophy winners a 1-5 or 6.

Of course It took Florida getting an Ohio guy as coach to win it.;)

Congrats to all the Florida fans.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had to laugh at Old Bret Mushmouth. saying Meyer is from Astabula just outside Columbus. Astabula is as far away from Columbus as you can get and still be in Ohio. Can't stand that guy.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had to laugh at Old Bret Mushmouth. saying Meyer is from Astabula just outside Columbus. Astabula is as far away from Columbus as you can get and still be in Ohio. Can't stand that guy.

Was he the one who referred to Smith and Ginn as being from "Glenville High, just outside of Cleveland"? Glenville High is a Cleveland Public school, ya moron!!!

Essentially the reason I've pulled for them more than most players- the Cleveland Schools barely even have football any more, much less get any stars.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was he the one who referred to Smith and Ginn as being from "Glenville High, just outside of Cleveland"? Glenville High is a Cleveland Public school, ya moron!!!

Essentially the reason I've pulled for them more than most players- the Cleveland Schools barely even have football any more, much less get any stars.
Those were Fox Sports announcers and not Mushmouth who is an ABC / ESPN announcer. The Fox announcers really, really sucked in all of the games they broadcasted this year. I believe they have the BCS for another 3 years. Fox sports really turned me off to the games this year and I am a very avid college football fan.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is one Buckeye who is proud today. Tressel and Troy Smith were gentlemen and sportman after the game. You can tell more about a person in defeat than in victory.
Interesting facts The underdog is 7-2 in BCS title games and Hiesman trophy winners a 1-5 or 6.

Of course It took Florida getting an Ohio guy as coach to win it.;)

Congrats to all the Florida fans.
Don't get me wrong as I think Tressel is a top notch coach, but two personal foul penalties in the first 5 minutes of the game is not the hallmark of a well prepared football team. Ohio State acted as if the game was a formality. I guess watching Florida kiss the crystal ball is a formality as well.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Whats with the moron remark. Theres no need for that. I said Astibula which is where Meyer is from. I said nothing about Smith or Ginn or Glenville. I did have the announcer wrong. I wasn't exactly a happy camper at the time:cry:

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't get me wrong as I think Tressel is a top notch coach, but two personal foul penalties in the first 5 minutes of the game is not the hallmark of a well prepared football team. Ohio State acted as if the game was a formality. I guess watching Florida kiss the crystal ball is a formality as well.
I wasn't talking about the game. Theres SO much that went wrong . As for the one personnel foul . It saved a TD. (The kicker grabbing the face mask)
part of the game has nothing to do with preperation. What I was talking about is the way they presented themselves at the news conference after the game. No placing blame onto anyone or anything but themselves and giving praise to Florida. Unlike Hart and Carr did after there loss to OSU. Where it was everybody elses faught but there own.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I wasn't talking about the game. Theres SO much that went wrong . As for the one personnel foul . It saved a TD. (The kicker grabbing the face mask)
part of the game has nothing to do with preperation. What I was talking about is the way they presented themselves at the news conference after the game. No placing blame onto anyone or anything but themselves and giving praise to Florida. Unlike Hart and Carr did after there loss to OSU. Where it was everybody elses faught but there own.
Yes, I realize what you were talking about. So fine, they are good losers and it goes to the quality of persons that Tressel and Smith are. I have no doubt on that point. My point was had Ohio State not been so cocky and assured of a guaranteed win when they stepped on the field, then maybe Tressel and Smith would not have had to be such good losers.

On another point, this game, the Rose Bowl and Fiesta Bowl sure begs the question for a playoff. Florida was whiskers from not playing and Ohio State had already been crowned by the media and Boise State was undefeated on the season, yet was dismissed by the media as a substantial underdog. Look what happened - Michigan (who everyone was cheering for to have a second go at Ohio State was blown out); Ohio State who was already crowned was blown out; and Boise State was never given an opportunity to move forward past a ranking of 5th place. How interesting would it be to see a LSU - USC and Florida - Boise State matchup?

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
You're putting a lot of blame for the way the media portrayed events on the teams themselves. They can't control which teams the media hypes and which ones they don't.

The media and the talking heads will always make mistakes and hype the wrong teams and the wrong games. That's precisely part of what makes this sport so interesting. Football is very unpredictable, and trying to make big pronouncements about "shoulda woulda coulda" based on the results of a couple of bowl games is just as meaningless as the media's babble. Anything can and does happen on the football field, but you can't read too much into the result of a single game.

Ohio State had an outstanding year and pounded every top-ranked team they played. They lost a single game. But you seem to know an awful lot about "what they were thinking" and so on. They lost a game, that's it. This isn't a science, it's a sport. If you want to reduce it to a science and know who truly is the better team, then the only way to do that is have Ohio State and Florida play each other 10 times. Then we would know. Based on the way these two teams played all season, I think it is highly unlikely you would see many lopsided results in those 10 games. It seems obvious Ohio State got caught off guard in this game and lost, which they admitted to and took responsibility for. You really think Florida would pound on Ohio State for 10 games? I seriously doubt that.

Scientifically, the results of one game are meaningless and we all know that. But that's the way football works. Even the worst teams in the NFL have won a couple of games. So does that mean they are better than they teams they beat? Hardly. It just means they were better "on any given Sunday."

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're putting a lot of blame for the way the media portrayed events on the teams themselves. They can't control which teams the media hypes and which ones they don't.

The media and the talking heads will always make mistakes and hype the wrong teams and the wrong games. That's precisely part of what makes this sport so interesting. Football is very unpredictable, and trying to make big pronouncements about "shoulda woulda coulda" based on the results of a couple of bowl games is just as meaningless as the media's babble. Anything can and does happen on the football field, but you can't read too much into the result of a single game.

Ohio State had an outstanding year and pounded every top-ranked team they played. They lost a single game. But you seem to know an awful lot about "what they were thinking" and so on. They lost a game, that's it. This isn't a science, it's a sport. If you want to reduce it to a science and know who truly is the better team, then the only way to do that is have Ohio State and Florida play each other 10 times. Then we would know. Based on the way these two teams played all season, I think it is highly unlikely you would see many lopsided results in those 10 games. It seems obvious Ohio State got caught off guard in this game and lost, which they admitted to and took responsibility for. You really think Florida would pound on Ohio State for 10 games? I seriously doubt that.

Scientifically, the results of one game are meaningless and we all know that. But that's the way football works. Even the worst teams in the NFL have won a couple of games. So does that mean they are better than they teams they beat? Hardly. It just means they were better "on any given Sunday."

Well since they don't play 10 times, I guess Ohio State should have showed up to the one that actually counted. Did they have a good season, yes they did? Do they have a Crystal Ball and ring - nope!

BTW, I have nothing against Ohio State or Tressel and actually think very highly of Tressel as a coach and person. However, it does not take a PHD to come to the conclusion that Ohio State was not prepared and it showed on the only measure that counts - the score board.

Feel free to justify Ohio State's season record all day, but the final result is they were, on this particular day and I might add, the day that counted, the 2nd best team in the country.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well since they don't play 10 times, I guess Ohio State should have showed up to the one that actually counted.
Then I suppose every upset means they winning team is the better team, though for the life of me I can't see how the Dolphins are a better team than the Bears!

I think if they played 10 times the winner would be 6-4. That's why single elimination tourneys are not the way to get the two BEST teams to play each other. The current BCS system does a better job at that than a playoff system would.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Feel free to justify Ohio State's season record all day, but the final result is they were, on this particular day and I might add, the day that counted, the 2nd best team in the country.
Can't disagree with that.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then I suppose every upset means they winning team is the better team, though for the life of me I can't see how the Dolphins are a better team than the Bears!

I think if they played 10 times the winner would be 6-4. That's why single elimination tourneys are not the way to get the two BEST teams to play each other. The current BCS system does a better job at that than a playoff system would.
Since we are not talking about Softball here, this is fine in theory, but it is just that theory and guesses. It is widely published what date the "game" is on so either show up and win if you are truely the best team or watch from home.

You are also assuming the quality of each team's competition during the season are equivalent. This is a stretch for me. As for banging the number of teams beaten in the Top 10, I would be interested to see how many Ohio State opponents remained in the Top 10 at the end of the season. If you recall, Notre Dame started the season as #2. I think it was proven at least 3 times (should have been 4) they were not a #2 team at the beginning, middle or end of the season. I know Ohio State did not play ND, just using it as an example.

You will have to explain to me your last comment as I am not following your logic.