StE RD1 AXIS Help Thread.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AXIS players ONLY of Rd 1's Seeing the Elephant may post questions here.
Questions will be answered by assigned Tourney Coordinators= Gen Failure for the Axis.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO LIST YOUR SETUPS or STRATEGY HERE!!!!

This thread is just if you have questions.

I guess you can also post of your glorious actions! But please do not reveal any "hard data" on the scenario or game. That means you don't say: "I just received 2 Tigers on turn 4!!!" You don't even mention what you get or what the enemy has!!! But you can say my attack is going according to play & just overran the first objective etc.

Last edited:

Stndrtnfhr

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can anyone tell me what the maximum engagement range is for hand held AT weapons? I could not find it in the manual. Thanks.

Stndrtnfhr Out!

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Choose the unit in question and press enter.

In the top left corner you will get all the stats you need.
for hand held /inherent AT weaponsa as demo charges, mines and rifle grenades, these should be considered as close combat weapons.
I have seen demo charges and magnetic mines knock out tanks from distances as long as 40 meters but there is no general rule.

//Gen

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The noble art of defending 101

There are 3 factors and 1 goal to take in account when defending.

FACTORS:
1) The map
2) The forces at your disposal
3) Time

GOAL:
1) Deny victory to the attacker

Let's look at the factors first.
The map.... Where you will fight and either destroy the attacker or get hammered into the ground.
What should you look for when inspecting the map?
A) Natural defensive positions
-Ridges, wooded areas, buildings, sunken areas, rubble.
B) Natural obstacles
-Rivers, wooded areas, rough, swamps, rubble
C) Canalizing terrain
-Bridges, open ground between obstacles, low terrain between heights.

View the map from your opponents side, where would you advance? What areas would be a threat? What terrain features are importnat to an attacker?

Can you identify key real estate where you can make a stand and create a large/deep killing zone? (killing zone = area where you can mass supperior firepower against an enemy, preferably by surprise, and get down in cover afterwards).

Is there any terrain the attacker MUST use/pass through (for example a gap between two wooden areas where his armor must pass, bridges, fords). Set up your weapons so that you can turn those areas into real killing fields.

The forces at your disposal:

Make sure yo uknow what you have and think about how to use your forces!
Mortars up to 81mm should be used to pin down the enemy, not to kill your enemy, (use spotter as a platoons HQ is less visible to the enemy).
Larger guns should be used as a striking force when the attacker is located.
Do not be afraid to use your smaller mortars grouped together, (on 50mm mortar makes no difference, 3 or more together can be realy effective at pinning down an advancing unit(s)).
Machineguns, a long range weapon, perfect to stop an advance but vulnerable to direct fire and dead in close combat

Snipers, perfect scouts, great to force the enemy tank commanders to close that hatch and can make life miserable to enemy HQ’s and special weapons such as MG’s, flamethrowers, open top vehicles as flack guns.

AT guns, Use them wiselly, the first shots are critical! If possible have 2 otr more at guns covering the same area. If an enemy tank rotates to face on AT gun, the other one will get one of those realy nice flanking shots. Do not forget to set covered arcs for them so that they do not fire to soon!

Tanks & TD’s, Look for hull-down positions! (why be a bigger target than you need to?) Place your armor out of LOS, for example behind a ridge or a building and use either hunt or shoot and scoot to move up and engage the attacker. Also here you should try to get flanking fire if possible. (remember than moving vehicles on dirt roads can generate dust clouds ad give away your whereabouts).

What type of unit is it, infantry is not used in the same way as engineers.

Finally, look at the HQ’s of your platoons. An HQ with +2 in stealth should lead an ambush or be a spotter for mortars. A +2 in combat should be placed where you expect heavy action.

TIME: The number of turns left in a scenario can be a realy good friend of the defender. The attacker will ALLWAYS feel the pressure of time remaining, use that against him! If it takes 5 minutes to cross a large field and there are two turns left of the sdcenario, let him run,, who cares?  Making everything take longer will delay your opponents attack. Some artillery down on the attackers forces as they prepare to attack will delay him, either due to reorganizing his attack, him wanting to get smoke in the area or just by pinning & breaking units and giving him longer command delays. Destroying the first vehicle in a column will make him slow down and deal with the new threat. Forcing the attacker to regroup his supporting units wil also take time. The key words here are: ACT, DONT REACT!

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Reality overrides any plan!

You might have the perfect plan and all units exactly where you want them but unfortunatly, your plan will probably not survive first contact with the enemy.

A barage, some lucky shots, bogged vehicles, air support, unexpected attack path, a lot of things will force you to react to your opponents moves and to adapt your plan.

DO NOT BE AFRAID OF DOING SO!

This mentioned above is why you allways should have a reserve to throw in where they are needed. Your reserve should, if possible, be able to move fast and have a good punsch! A tank platoon with mounted infantry would be perfect but that is rarely the case but find something to keep back to deal with the surprises that are bound to come!
This reserve should, as it was called in the red army actually be called
”the element of surprise”.
Should you instead place infantry with molotov cocktails in the top floor of building and hide them so that when the infantry has passed and the tanks are moving up through the village you ambush them?
Place a thin screen of halfsquads as your first line of defence, these will quickly be overrun by te attacker, giving the illusion of having broken through your line, little does he know that 75 m further back you have your real line of defence!

This is all about using your good judgement.
ADAPT, IMPROVISE and OVERCOME
but
DO NOT reinforce a failure!
If a counterattack is going wrong, stop pouring men into it, retry further back or somewhere else along the line!

In a nutshell: KEEP HIM GUESSING!

neon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I got a technical question. What with the artillery spotter, I've got the target command on my guy? :upset: Or is the artillery not avaiable until after a number of turns? :confused:

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
OK,

Art. is available from first turn (Please note that then you cant move your fire).

Do you have LOS to target?

//Gen

neon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I got a technical question. What with the artillery spotter, I've got no target command on my guy? :upset: Or is the artillery not avaiable until after a number of turns? :confused:
I hope that makes for better understanding. Dyslexia strikes again! :)

No I haven't got LOS yet. What do you mean you cant move your fire?

Last edited:

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
OK!
:)

No LOS to the area you want to target with your art. (with off board guns) will be accepted even if the "target-line" is orange and black. HOWEVER the fire can land more or less anywhere, I have even seen art. fire hit terrain outside the scenario map when people fire without LOS to the target.

As for not beeing able to move your art. strikes, that ONLY apply if you order your spotters to fire in the first order phase.

//Gen

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Is the spotter in good order or not (panicking or such)? Has he ammo left?
You will not have a target option suring set-up
What turn are you on?

John Powderly

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A bit of frustration...

.<whine>

The AT guns in this scenario are so frustrating. Three front turret penetrations and the target tank is still backing up and firing as if nothing happened. Never mind that some of the tanks can't even be penetrated by the guns. Also, the gun is a far distance away, in trees, and dug-in - but after two shots, during a heavy artillery barrage, with all my units firing, every Soviet tank can see and is firing at the AT gun.

.</whine>

Last edited:

neon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Is the spotter in good order or not (panicking or such)? Has he ammo left?
You will not have a target option suring set-up
What turn are you on?
Finally work it out, he was hiding! :argh: This different from CMBO where you can hit T and the spotter automatically unhides. :nuts:

Thanks for the help anyway.

gen. failure

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
John Powderly,

Weak AT-guns vs thick armour over long range is a bad combination.

You have any smoke to use?
Any chance to let him move up infront of one of your guns to get a flanking shot?

HE shells, even though not damaging the tank, can either make the crew stunned or damage the gun so worst case scenario, shoot as many HE shells as you can against it.

//Gen

Kineas

Colonel General
Reaction score
Country
llHungary
.<whine>

The AT guns in this scenario are so frustrating. Three front turret penetrations and the target tank is still backing up and firing as if nothing happened. Never mind that some of the tanks can't even be penetrated by the guns. Also, the gun is a far distance away, in trees, and dug-in - but after two shots, during a heavy artillery barrage, with all my units firing, every Soviet tank can see and is firing at the AT gun.

.</whine>
Try to hide the gun. But if they are firing at it it's probably too late.

John Powderly

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The gun was hidden until it was time to fire. Then, of course, it couldn't be hidden any more. I speculate that the gun was not seen by the enemy tanks until after the fourth or fifth shot. However, as I said, a LIGHT tank can take three front turret penetrations and still (appear to) be fully functional. Therefore, remaining hidden for four or five shots is of limited value.

The gun is out of commission now...it did, finally, manage to do some beneficial damage. At least the crew managed to get off the board without taking any casualties.

Reinforcements have arrived...we'll see if they have a positive effect. Also, while one of my platoons is about shot, another is still hiding and pretty close to the action. I'll see if I can coordinate the hidden platoon's entrance with the upcoming 105 barrage.

Don't get me wrong - I'm having a great time. My opponent seems like a good guy and the game is a nail-biter. The Soviets captured the flag for a turn but now it's unclaimed whil fighting swirls all around. The game will probably be determined by how well my I deploy the reinforcements.

I just wish 37mm AT guns weren't such pea-shooters.

KG_Crimson

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How did you lose the flag?
How did you set up your men that the city was over run?
On what turn was it overrun?

( I'm not saying that your a bad player, I am just trying to guage my battle with my opponenet to see how I am doing. If this comes across wrong I definitely apologize as this was not my intent)

So far, I still have a good hold onto the city and hopefully I will be able to hold my ground through the entire game. I was a little taken back with the amount of armor I initally saw/see.

Have any of you been able to use any of your TRP's?