Collectable Card Games

Leftie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Fedoriw said:
Hi guys,

Can someone explain to me how these work.

Thanks,
John
John,

My experience with Collectable Card Games (CCGs) is somewhat limited but I have played Magic:The Gathering before. I am fairly certain that most CCGs follow the same basic structure. Here is some information from wikipedia for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collectable_card_game

Ben

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
John Fedoriw said:
Hi guys,

Thanks,
John
You spend lots of money for a deck of cards that you can't even play Poker with? :confused::cheeky:

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
GJK said:
You spend lots of money for a deck of cards that you can't even play Poker with? :confused::cheeky:
But you can play a another game with it :p

I am playing 'Magic' for quite some time now and, even though I am not really up to date cardwise, I still enjoy it.
It's at least as much fun to play it with a couple of guys during an evening then playing poker :D

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had a lot of fun playing Pokemon with my kids.

At 4 years of age, my daughter knew how to play the game, and the various attacks and powers each card was capable of.

Her name is Meredith, but her handle is 'Nightmere'.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played Magic the Squandering err Gathering for years. I was something of a local legend with a few of my more vicious decks.

Recently been playing Yu-Gi-Oh against my son.
His first lesson was a rough one.

"No son, this is the card game, not the show, and not your Playstation game, these are the rules read them, and by the way, I won again" :)

All I have is a lousy vanilla Kyba deck with a few stray add ons a friend dumped on us out of his spares.
It's a fairly fun game for a pre teen to mid teen level of complexity.

About the only game I have seen to equal Magic has to be the Legend of the 5 Rings game.

Patrocles

Reaction score
John Fedoriw said:
Hi guys,

Thanks,
John
my 2 cents on the subject.

I was introduced to Magic:The Gathering collectable card game by my coworkers ~6 years ago. I didn't spend as much money on M;TG cards as my friends. Therefore, I had fewer cards and fewer high-value (powerful) cards and my friends could "tailor" their game deck to kick my arse! hehe The more money you spend the better cards you can acquire. The publisher also released expansion set after expansion set for M;TG and that meant new cards to buy. I quit playing M:TG because I felt like i was in, and losing, a damn arms race with my friends. :)

I think some folks like the "chase" of trying to find valuable cards, optimizing their game deck, collecting the cards, etc. I come from a wargaming background where you put down your money and get a complete game ...I guess I was a bit taken aback by the format of these collectable card games.

All that being said...I enjoyed playing M:TG with my friends but there is no way I will revisit any collectable card game.
:)

Last edited:

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I bought a lot of the BattleTech CCG by WotC, but in hindsight even though I never really played the game, the artowrk and fluff on the cards about the various mechs/chracters was well worth the money I spent.

as for MtG, I have a shoebox full of cards - my little brother and I always took them with us on family holidays - bouncing around in the camperbus from "scenic" area to "scenic" area, we got in a lot of games...my decks were made to the extent they could beat my best mate and my brother, other than that I didn't care :p

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Patrocles said:
my 2 cents on the subject.

I was introduced to Magic:The Gathering collectable card game by my coworkers ~6 years ago. I didn't spend as much money on M;TG cards as my friends. Therefore, I had fewer cards and fewer high-value (powerful) cards and my friends could "tailor" their game deck to kick my arse! hehe The more money you spend the better cards you can acquire. The publisher also released expansion set after expansion set for M;TG and that meant new cards to buy. I quit playing M:TG because I felt like i was in, and losing, a damn arms race with my friends. :)

I think some folks like the "chase" of trying to find valuable cards, optimizing their game deck, collecting the cards, etc. I come from a wargaming background where you put down your money and get a complete game ...I guess I was a bit taken aback by the format of these collectable card games.

All that being said...I enjoyed playing M:TG with my friends but there is no way I will revisit any collectable card game.
:)

Hehe, had a similar experience "almost".

Back during the Revised set era, when the Dual Land Card was the surpreme mana card option, I had the forsight to understand, that while the Power Cards made for nasty tournament decks, the truth was the game was dominated by getting the right mana the fastest.
I developed a style of play where I would put 4 of each Dual Land card as my mana mix, and as a result, in the play of 5 mana cards, I could cast 95% of any card played in the game regardless of what colour combination. In 5 turns, most of my friends were helplessly defending against the worst behaviour of every nasty card in the whole system.

I never built Tournament decks, I built Les decks which were wholely more horrifying creations. I could play my 5 colour terrors against 5 other players simultaenously in the multiplayer mob games popular with my local friends.

But even being able to play virtually any card at all thanks to my Dual Lands collection, the game wears thin eventually. And the companies that make them, ensure sales by only allowing cards from "current" sets to be eligible at the big events. As a result, the player are being milked constantly if they wish to remain involved in the flashy events.

That, and often the card effects are so wretchedly poorly written where oddball outside of the basic rules effects are concerned, that often the latest tournament killer deck is really just some dude who found a totally broken gamey effect first.
Then everyone rushes to get that particular broken card effect.

What annoyed me was rich boy players that showed up to play with their "tournament" deck they built thanks to someone else's genius from online. I usually sent those smart alecs packing, as I routinely had about 20 decks constructed from my way to large collection. I would assemble sufficient types of deck that I could just pick one that ruined the effect of the deck of the moment.
Because all tourny decks revolve around a cute manuever that usually has a weak spot. You just pick on the weak spot and poof the guy's deck is worthless.

My best deck was a creation that fixated on simply ruining the fabric of the game.
Punished the player for just playing the game basically. You couldn't play a card or avoid playing a card, You couldn't use your mana or avoid using your mana. You couldn't have lands or avoid using them. It was a very nasty effect in usage.

But the final word on card games, is they are good at emptying your wallet.
Basically as bad effectively as being a chain smoker where your wallet is concerned. The only right choice, is to not start :)

Mehall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Magic is very very addictive. Many players spend far too much, but it is bery very fun.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have only played Magic once and it took me a while to get the hang of it. I guess I need to try it again.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
<snip>

But the final word on card games, is they are good at emptying your wallet.
Basically as bad effectively as being a chain smoker where your wallet is concerned. The only right choice, is to not start :)
I hope you are mostly kidding.:angry:

Unless your hobby is looking for shapes in the clouds it will cost you money.

For the cost of any egame/boardgame/ half a tennis racket/quarter of a golf club etc. two people could have enough cards to have fun for eons.

If you want to build 20 killer decks, always play the new cards, compete...well that will cost more (potentially a lot more).

CCGs are as much of a money suck as the hobbyist wants them to be, no more than any other hobby.

Mehall

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I hope you are mostly kidding.:angry:

Unless your hobby is looking for shapes in the clouds it will cost you money.

For the cost of any egame/boardgame/ half a tennis racket/quarter of a golf club etc. two people could have enough cards to have fun for eons.

If you want to build 20 killer decks, always play the new cards, compete...well that will cost more (potentially a lot more).

CCGs are as much of a money suck as the hobbyist wants them to be, no more than any other hobby.
Wow, way to ressurect dead thread. I got an email notification about this, and had forgotten I had even joined this place!!!

Though I do, respectively disagree. There is something about CCG's that makes them.... that bit worse. I've stopped playing for now, part no players, part no money, but when I did play, a significant amount of my disposable income went on Magic.

It's the addictive ink ;)

In other news, since I got another very good email when i got one about this, I have a battlefield heroes beta key!!!

yeah Baby ;)