Broken Ground Design Thread

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The caution I would raise with these is if you convert, say, woods to building, you then can't use these as the underlying terrain shows through.
TBH I’ve been using non-permanent adhesive on the back of my overlays for decades. Works extremely well.
Pritt used to make non permanent glue sticks years ago but no longer do so. I now use a roller thingie that serves the same purpose.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I like the "clear overlays". I proposed such an idea many years ago, mainly having Roads and RR in mind.

Nice to see that the "clear overlays" or "transparent overlays", as I used to call them, now see the light of day.

von Marwitz

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alan,
Did you ever, or would you ever produce a set of 1/2" information counters? I mean the basic stuff like: Prep Fire, First Fire, Residual FP, Pin, DM, Prisoners, Wall Advantage. The stuff you need for every FTF game. Those counters get the most use, and eventually get a worn out look to them. Thanks.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Would this be popular? With the white areas being clear.
View attachment 25030r
Crag is useful because being transparent allows it to be placed at various levels - provided the 'target terrain' is Open Ground, of course.

The same is true for Shellholes.

With regard to Rubble, the use is more limited: Often, Rubble overlays are used to blot out the terrain underneath (i.e. a destroyed building). And Rubble is inherent. The issue with transparent Rubble is that some of the terrain beneath might show and is not blotted out.

What would be of great use, though:

- Transparent Road/Street/Path/Railroad overlays in various lengths plus various 'curves'. This would allow you to create new routes through Woods, Brush, and many different sorts of terrain, creating many new opportunities for given boards.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Patches of Woods, Brush, Ponds, Orchards, Grain could also be useful because these would allow placing them over shifting levels. I won't start thinking on this too deeply, because more an more terrain types come to mind: Gullies...

I.e. a patch of 5 transparent Grain hexes could cover level 0, 1, and 2. Endless possibilities.

This is not possible with current overlays.

Actually, this whole transparent overlay thing should be supported by "official" rules, so that these can be adapted by scenario designers.

von Marwitz

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
Actually, this whole transparent overlay thing should be supported by "official" rules, so that these can be adapted by scenario designers.

von Marwitz
And that's the real question. These overlays are VERY useful... to designers. But if there is no official scenario to back them up, they are only fancy oddities to be used... by whom, where, when?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alan,
Did you ever, or would you ever produce a set of 1/2" information counters? I mean the basic stuff like: Prep Fire, First Fire, Residual FP, Pin, DM, Prisoners, Wall Advantage. The stuff you need for every FTF game. Those counters get the most use, and eventually get a worn out look to them. Thanks.
On my radar, but not soon.

Though I have done a lot of humorous system counters. 🥳

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alan,
When I'm bored, I do things. EDIT: I did some more things.

Last edited:

waltu

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I'm bored, I do things. EDIT: I did some more things.

Yowzer! These are grrreat! When can I order them??
Hi Alan. A slight edit. If you do decide to go ahead with these info counters, you might consider adding the turret CE/BU counter, the CE/BU counter used for half-tracks, the MG Field-of-Fire CA, and maybe the Malfunction counters for BMG, CMG, AAMG, MA, SA, and Gun.

I did see the humorous counters. I'll order a set of those.
Thanks

Last edited:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, it's been a good run.

I've reached the conclusion that it's time to close up shop and call it a day for Broken Ground Design. I've really enjoyed the last six years - dreaming, innovating, designing, and selling counters. Oh, how I've loved the selling. Selling. Selling. Selling. Show me da money, boyz!

Now I want to spend more quality time with my Lambo and my Tesla, because that's what really matters in life. Am I right, or am I right?

But don't worry. You'll still be able to buy my super-ultra-mega-awesome counters. It was critical for me to find the right buyer for all my work, and I think I've hit the nail on the head. I'm being amply supplied with a very generous allocation of store credits to compensate for my years of labour in this hobby.

I'm confident that with my new best friends, Ray-Ray and Mo-Mo, the quality products, good pricing, prompt shipping, and helpful customer service that you have always found with Broken Ground Design will continue into the future.

It's been a laugh, guys. Roll low, and have fun.

Alan
2023-04-01

PTY

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I've reached the conclusion that it's time to close up shop and call it a day for Broken Ground Design. I've really enjoyed the last six years - dreaming, innovating, designing, and selling counters. Oh, how I've loved the selling. Selling. Selling. Selling. Show me da money, boyz!

Now I want to spend more quality time with my Lambo and my Tesla, because that's what really matters in life. Am I right, or am I right?

But don't worry. You'll still be able to buy my super-ultra-mega-awesome counters. It was critical for me to find the right buyer for all my work, and I think I've hit the nail on the head. I'm being amply supplied with a very generous allocation of store credits to compensate for my years of labour in this hobby.

I'm confident that with my new best friends, Ray-Ray and Mo-Mo, the quality products, good pricing, prompt shipping, and helpful customer service that you have always found with Broken Ground Design will continue into the future.

Alan
2023-04-01
Anyone buying it?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Alan
2023-04-01
Very poor April Fool's Day joke Alan!

Reactions: PTY

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He shouldn’t have put the date at the bottom…