When can Flamethrowers fire or not fire?

ShadowDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In the book, it seemed to me that flamethrowers could not be used during Subsequent Fire or Final Protective Fire Phase.

Can FT's be used on defensive fire?
This is my question on this and please inform me if the "newer rules" (BOB - Big Orange Book rules not starter kit rules) state this differently now days.

BOB - A22.1 ... Long Range fire for a FT (even vehicular FT) is always limited to one hex beyond its Normal Range. FT FP is affected by LOS Hindrances and is halved for all forms of Area Fire (but not for use in the AFPh) and is reduced by cowering (7.9), but is never increased for any reason.

The section that states (but not for use in the AFPh) should be read that the normal half FP negative that happens to most items does not happen in the AFPh to FTs.

It shouldn't be read that FT FP is not to be used in the AFPh at all correct?

Is there another location in "BOB" that more clearly defines that portion of a sentence?

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Right, FTs can fire in the AFPh without its FP being halved for firing in the AFPh. A FT's FP would still be halved if firing at a concealed target, or Long Range firing, but the halving of most FP for firing in the AFPh doesn't apply to FT. This is the "No AFPh Penalty" on the back of the FT counters.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The FT does (edit) not benefit from Point Blank Fire, either.

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Right, FTs can fire in the AFPh without its FP being halved for firing in the AFPh. A FT's FP would still be halved if firing at a concealed target, or Long Range firing, but the halving of most FP for firing in the AFPh doesn't apply to FT. This is the "No AFPh Penalty" on the back of the FT counters.
When it comes to SK, the counters can be confusing and deceiving.
Best to find the answer in the SK RB. It is there...sometimes in a section you wouldn't think of looking to first.🤕