Broken Ground Design Thread

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alan, do you have any new counters coming out in the next couple months?
Almost done re-stocking existing sets.

Going forward, I'm looking to expand to SL counters (money for old rope). Also, tackling KW nationalities.

Currently have two scenario packs (Steve Swann) that need to be developed/playtested. Other scenario pack ideas simmering on the back burner.

I keep coming across more rare/unique AFV (like the KV-6, bow-mounted FT - not the fake KV-VI) etc. Not sure how to work those into the mix.

Then there's my mega-dream to create maps connecting RO to VotG etc.

Too many ideas, not enough time.

So, what would you like me to be working on? (honest question - not necessarily confined to the above ramblings of a mad man)

Reactions: PTY

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Alan,

If you were to make a small sheet of 5/8" counters, the 7.5cm PaK 41 from Friendly Fire's Wunderwaffe and the PzJg III (a Pz III with a 7.5 cm PaK 41 mounted) from Wunderwagen would be nice to see.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Alan,

If you were to make a small sheet of 5/8" counters, the 7.5cm PaK 41 from Friendly Fire's Wunderwaffe and the PzJg III (a Pz III with a 7.5 cm PaK 41 mounted) from Wunderwagen would be nice to see.
Those look interesting. I can find some pics of the PaK 41, but nothing for the PzJg III - was it a field-mod?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Other items I'm looking to add:
Hungarian 44M. Buzogányvető - both as a field piece, and mounted on trucks
GSW 638/18 (Ardelt)

Other ideas welcome!

Edit: just discovered the Panhard 178 CDM in German service, and used by French resistance units!

Last edited:

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Those look interesting. I can find some pics of the PaK 41, but nothing for the PzJg III - was it a field-mod?
Mattias Rönnblom references Bunke, Erich. Der Osten blieb unser Schicksal 1939-1944, p669, 700, 717 and Glantz, David M. After Stalingrad, p327-336. The vehicle note on the scenario card says the turret was removed from a Pz III staff vehicle and the PaK 41 gun, mount and shield were installed. Additional armor plates were welded to the sides.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Almost done re-stocking existing sets.

Going forward, I'm looking to expand to SL counters (money for old rope). Also, tackling KW nationalities.

Currently have two scenario packs (Steve Swann) that need to be developed/playtested. Other scenario pack ideas simmering on the back burner.

I keep coming across more rare/unique AFV (like the KV-6, bow-mounted FT - not the fake KV-VI) etc. Not sure how to work those into the mix.

Then there's my mega-dream to create maps connecting RO to VotG etc.

Too many ideas, not enough time.

So, what would you like me to be working on? (honest question - not necessarily confined to the above ramblings of a mad man)
Alan,

Thanks for the update. I would like you to be working on the Forgotten War KASL counters for North/South Korea as well as the Chinese. In addition I was hoping you were continuing your development and production of Spanish Civil War counters.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Alan,

Thanks for the update. I would like you to be working on the Forgotten War KASL counters for North/South Korea as well as the Chinese. In addition I was hoping you were continuing your development and production of Spanish Civil War counters.
I'm holding off on further SCW stuff, as I understand an official module is in the works.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm holding off on further SCW stuff, as I understand an official module is in the works.
Understood. Best to wait and figure out what the MMP counters look like in terms of values. Same for any Arab/Israeli ones I guess.
But are you going to do the Korean and Chinese ones to go with your revised US ones covering Korea?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Understood. Best to wait and figure out what the MMP counters look like in terms of values. Same for any Arab/Israeli ones I guess.
But are you going to do the Korean and Chinese ones to go with your revised US ones covering Korea?
Yes. I've already started, as I needed KW counter art for one of the scenarios in the Covered pack (North vs South).

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes. I've already started, as I needed KW counter art for one of the scenarios in the Covered pack (North vs South).
How about a 1/2 sheet of the new Sturm Battalion counters just released in St Mere Eglise?
How about some sheets of Historical leaders that are featured in a bunch of HASLs?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about a 1/2 sheet of the new Sturm Battalion counters just released in St Mere Eglise?
How about some sheets of Historical leaders that are featured in a bunch of HASLs?
I do have the idea of creating 'extra' sheets that feature HASL specific units (FB; Airborne HASLs; SME), so that's not far off. NKVD troops from VotG are already part of the Russian set. Are there other HASL specific units I'm missing/forgetting?

Edit: PiF Poles/SS/Russians are now part of the Polish set.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I do have the idea of creating 'extra' sheets that feature HASL specific units (FB; Airborne HASLs; SME), so that's not far off. NKVD troops from VotG are already part of the Russian set. Are there other HASL specific units I'm missing/forgetting?

I was thinking more of named leaders, but all of those various squad types are certainly welcome.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Another simmering project is post-Great War action in eastern Europe - 1918-1921. No trenches, lots of mobile actions.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain

I remind you of much more needed counters as unarmed German paratroopers... Few counters, about half a sheet (but I want two), but totally neeeded for German paratroop actions in Crete and elsewhere...

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain

I'm in with your quality counters for the 82 AB, 101 AB, 29 Let's Go, Big Red One, Rangers, etc.

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I remind you of much more needed counters as unarmed German paratroopers... Few counters, about half a sheet (but I want two), but totally neeeded for German paratroop actions in Crete and elsewhere...
Hmmm...why not make a full set of Fallschirmjaegers? Two countersheets with all MMC, leaders, unarmed MMCs (in distinctive shocks and helmets) and drop cannisters? I use the rules where the paratroops have separate canisters that fall, rather than just looking in any hex.
How about counters with snow smocks for winter scenarios? I guess too niche for those of us that buy everything?

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm...why not make a full set of Fallschirmjaegers? Two countersheets with all MMC, leaders, unarmed MMCs (in distinctive shocks and helmets) and drop cannisters? I use the rules where the paratroops have separate canisters that fall, rather than just looking in any hex.
How about counters with snow smocks for winter scenarios? I guess too niche for those of us that buy everything?
FJ - yes!
Snow - no, too niche.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'm in with your quality counters for the 82 AB, 101 AB, 29 Let's Go, Big Red One, Rangers, etc.
Doing specific units for the sake of specific units isn't really my thing. But... Rangers. Where do they appear, and what are their stats?

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
FJ - yes!
Snow - no, too niche.
Understood about the snow. I use only your counters for all my games...except winter ones. I use CH winter greatcoat or their snow cam ones for winter scenarios.

How about a countersheets of turn counters? Many people lament using the multi-nationality MMP ones. BFP has some that I use but they are not exhaustive. I am sure you know what I mean...German Balkankreuz on blue background and Russian red star on brown background on the other. So a turn counter for each country that fought another. I would love to see a Cdn Red Ensign on one side and a Balkankreuz (or SS runes) on the other for the Normandy battles! Then you could do some with certain AB divisions, FJ symbol, even certain Partisan units. Could likely all be done on one countersheet.