New program to help set up VASL scenarios

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
To resolve the buildFile error:

1. Establish the location of the VASL module file.
  2. Open that file with a program that can read ZIP archives. (Windows own file manager can, so can 7Zip.)
  3. There should be a buildFile.xml in the root directory of the VASL module.
Given the error, you're likely to find one of these three things is problematic.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Hmm.

Established the location
Found the buildFile.xml in the root dir.

No changes.

The same build File error message shows regardless of which Vasl Mod I select.

Scrapped it all>

Installed newest versions of VASSAL and VASL

This is the message I get.

I click through thinking its being generated from the user data.

Same results for Log analysis..

😢

Given that ....I don't think I got the build file error... Copy paste it?
But the Vasl mod not configured is still stopping the file analysis cold

uckelman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hmm.

Established the location
Found the buildFile.xml in the root dir.

No changes.

The same build File error message shows regardless of which Vasl Mod I select.

Scrapped it all>

Installed newest versions of VASSAL and VASL

This is the message I get.

View attachment 23607

I click through thinking its being generated from the user data.

Same results for Log analysis..

😢

Given that ....I don't think I got the build file error... Copy paste it?
But the Vasl mod not configured is still stopping the file analysis cold
Does V:/VASSAL Mods/New folder (2)/data/vasl-6.6.5/vasl-overrides.json exist?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Purty! How long did that take you?
Quite a while would be my guess, having used the program extensively. looks great, no question. I store all the vehicle notes on my SSD, the downside to that is that I'm the only one who gets to see them when I play. still exploring alternative online storage options. I tend to snip and save the notes as I use them rather than try to do the whole of chapter H in advance. That's a major project in itself.
I use the VASL information table generator for the turn chart. Works well once you learn the essential HTML symbols for less than, equal to, greater than and paragraph.

StevedethHOB

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey can someone contact me concerning getting a local map uploaded. Playtest time! it used to work with older versions but can't get it going now. Thanks

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Purty! How long did that take you?
Adding the chapter H notes to VASL-Templates took some time, but I did it slowly over the last year or so. The table on the left is a template I made and now I just have to cut and paste the relevant information into a text file. All of it only takes maybe 30 minutes to actually add to VASL, it's just cut and paste.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it possible to have the VASL log of this scenario to see if it works on other (mine) computers?
The chapter H stuff will only load if you run VASL-Templates prior to starting VASL and have populated the Chapter H files in VASL-Templates. The pictures won't load for anyone but me, as they are on my local drive. The rest would load, but that stuff is the easy part.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is it possible to have the VASL log of this scenario to see if it works on other (mine) computers?
Essentially, 80-90% of what you see will not be visible on your PC if you had the file. Just the basic counter images, turn track and info from the backs of the counters, PF, ATMM etc. All the other super cool stuff is only visible to the creator, unless the images are stored online. There may be copyright issues if you share those images?
It’s a great program. If you do decide to try it I’d highly recommend getting the electronic PDF version of the ASLRB as to try and compile the chapter H notes using any other source would be an admin nightmare.

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Essentially, 80-90% of what you see will not be visible on your PC if you had the file. Just the basic counter images, turn track and info from the backs of the counters, PF, ATMM etc. All the other super cool stuff is only visible to the creator, unless the images are stored online. There may be copyright issues if you share those images?
It’s a great program. If you do decide to try it I’d highly recommend getting the electronic PDF version of the ASLRB as to try and compile the chapter H notes using any other source would be an admin nightmare.
Everything outlined in blue (including the map and counters) would show up for everybody. The stuff outlined in green would only show up for people who had the Chapter H outline set up in vasl templets (and run vasl templets prior to running vasl, and then it would probably be a different size than I have). The stuff outlined in red are pictures that I use as memory aides when playing and would only show up for me as they are local to my computer (and again only if I run vasl templets prior to running vasl). I could upload those pictures to the internet so they would be available to everyone, there is no copyright implication like there are for the Chapter H info, but I don't have a place to store them.

For anybody thinking of setting up the Chapter H outline for vasl templates, I concur with Paul_RS that you need the electronic rulebook to do it with a reasonable amount of effort. I did it in a multiple sessions over a year (probably took me a combined 25 hours or so) using screenshots and paint.net. But I have been doing image manipulation for over 20 years for mods and stuff, so your time would probably be more if you aren't that experienced with image programs.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Everything outlined in blue (including the map and counters) would show up for everybody. The stuff outlined in green would only show up for people who had the Chapter H outline set up in vasl templets (and run vasl templets prior to running vasl, and then it would probably be a different size than I have). The stuff outlined in red are pictures that I use as memory aides when playing and would only show up for me as they are local to my computer (and again only if I run vasl templets prior to running vasl). I could upload those pictures to the internet so they would be available to everyone, there is no copyright implication like there are for the Chapter H info, but I don't have a place to store them.

For anybody thinking of setting up the Chapter H outline for vasl templates, I concur with Paul_RS that you need the electronic rulebook to do it with a reasonable amount of effort. I did it in a multiple sessions over a year (probably took me a combined 25 hours or so) using screenshots and paint.net. But I have been doing image manipulation for over 20 years for mods and stuff, so your time would probably be more if you aren't that experienced with image programs.
View attachment 24139
I could be wrong, probably am, but I thought the Chapter H snippets had to be stored online for others to see them in the file? The creator has to have templates program running for him to to see the images if they are stored on his local drive, but no other user can see them. Isn't the link to the chapter H HTML snippet code specific to where the image is stored?

Rocket-Man

Space is only 100Km up
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I could be wrong, probably am, but I thought the Chapter H snippets had to be stored online for others to see them in the file? The creator has to have templates program running for him to to see the images if they are stored on his local drive, but no other user can see them. Isn't the link to the chapter H HTML snippet code specific to where the image is stored?
If the person with Chapter H configured is the one that starts an online game, the other player can see the images. But if I sent a log file or save to someone, they wouldn't see the images when they loaded the game.

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the person with Chapter H configured is the one that starts an online game, the other player can see the images. But if I sent a log file or save to someone, they wouldn't see the images when they loaded the game.
Of course :unsure:. Slaps head :rolleyes:

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
I do have Chapter H (electronic and paper version), but preparing a scenario seems to become an art…. For sure using the templates make thins easier and prettier. Just it take times…. And I am getting older…. :)
Thanks for answering!

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I do have Chapter H (electronic and paper version), but preparing a scenario seems to become an art…. For sure using the templates make thins easier and prettier. Just it take times…. And I am getting older…. :)
Thanks for answering!
I’m 66 this year and still enjoy tinkering with this sort of thing. 🤓👍🏻

Kaiax33

Reaction score
First name
Kai
Country
llUnited States
Just starting to use this awesome app, since even the "Enhanced" SK setup files aren't working with v6.6.5 (trying to introduce a new player to the system). Everything works great except that when I find any of the SK scenarios.....no option to Download, only Import. Find it very hard to believe that no one has built any of these for SKs.

Any "secret" repository of .vsav files I'm missing?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
This is the contents of the TEMPLATE folder I have. There is only a VASL Templates application that does not load or do anything.
and cannot be otherwise accessed. (7687kb).

HOWEVER, in the link given by the programmer to the Youtube help the chapter H part IS in version Beta 4. BUT this is not
available. ( yet ??)

I remember using this 3 years ago with no problem.

Someone by now must have:

Built their own or

Got the program to work as I did 3 years ago.

This is 40 pages of "what the heck". Who really can care about this long-winded nonsense...

Next.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia

View attachment 24139
How about you upload whatever file(s) is necessary for the rest of the VASL community to use.?

Just asking for a friend.